Wave maker

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have upgraded my lighting and filter and now I need to know the best kind of wave maker or power head for my 20 high. Currently I have This as my power head and added filtration. I figured it couldn’t hurt to have more filter along with the water flow. I just don’t know if it’s moving enough water or not enough. I have green star polyp frag, torch frag, black star polyp frag, gold pot mushroom frag, and Zoa frag along with rock flower nem. How much gph should I be moving? Where should the water flow point. I’m sorry to be so needy I just want to ensure I’m doing the best I can and you guys are so knowledgeable.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have upgraded my lighting and filter and now I need to know the best kind of wave maker or power head for my 20 high. Currently I have This as my power head and added filtration. I figured it couldn’t hurt to have more filter along with the water flow. I just don’t know if it’s moving enough water or not enough. I have green star polyp frag, torch frag, black star polyp frag, gold pot mushroom frag, and Zoa frag along with rock flower nem. How much gph should I be moving? Where should the water flow point. I’m sorry to be so needy I just want to ensure I’m doing the best I can and you guys are so knowledgeable.
Or should I just take the media sponges out of the power head filter and just use it for flow?

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link doesn’t work, but I’d say something in the ai Nero 3 range tuned down a bit should be fine. I’ve got 2 in a 40 breeder but run them pretty low since I’ve got a lot of euphyllia. There are similar pumps for less though, maybe not as fancy but work nonetheless. Current makes the eflux I think it is, and there’s a couple Amazon brands like jabao and whatnot that are absolute knock offs of the Nero at a lower cost. Again, maybe not as controllable, but they’ll work.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much I’m ganna get one of those and replace the filter. It is just an old power head filter. This is it.
A26A8F11-AF2B-4622-9533-917EE5325369.png

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.. pretty much not worth anything in a reef tank. Your rock and sand are your biological filtration. You don’t need that thing in there. As for the flow, that’s just gonna put out a constant concentrated jet of flow, which isn’t really what you want either. You want a nice wide easy flow that is as random as possible

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.. pretty much not worth anything in a reef tank. Your rock and sand are your biological filtration. You don’t need that thing in there. As for the flow, that’s just gonna put out a constant concentrated jet of flow, which isn’t really what you want either. You want a nice wide easy flow that is as random as possible
Omg that makes so much sense now. I thought it had to be constant. Thank you for the clarification I appreciate you.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this for the time being or should I definitely get adjustable flow

BEAC0252-532E-4756-92C0-FB9D677C2F4D.png
BEAC0252-532E-4756-92C0-FB9D677C2F4D.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30$ if possible for right now

Sicce voyager nanos are at the price you want. Random flow isn't necessary as you can have the tank break it up, add a second, or get a controller down the road. Sicce pumps last for ever and I've never had one fail. I just bought one of the nano's for my 14 gallon cube build thread.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce voyager nanos are at the price you want. Random flow isn't necessary as you can have the tank break it up, add a second, or get a controller down the road. Sicce pumps last for ever and I've never had one fail. I just bought one of the nano's for my 14 gallon cube build thread.
The nano would be okay for a 20? And how can I have the tank break it up?

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't need anything fancy, just move some water around. If you keep it simple you'll enjoy it that much more. Your live rock is all you need for biological filtration. A hang on the back skimmer would do some good too but even that isn't 100% necessary.

The big bulky powerheads are an eyesore IMO, I wouldn't give one any tank space especially in a 20g. The flat propeller style water movers work amazingly well, some of them are grossly overpriced, even some of the Amazon ones are overpriced but it is what it is. One of the small ones placed on a back corner facing the front pane will be all you will need. For that matter, a MaxiJet up in the corner would do the trick and they're relatively inexpensive.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back