Wave makers

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. My tank is cycled and I'm getting ready to stick it. I'm planning on some coral so I definitely want to get a wave maker. Could anyone break down wave makers for me? I know the base of what they do but do I need one or two etc.. also which would you recommend for a biocube 32? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One MP10 will probably make you happy but will cost$$$. ...really All you need some kind of pattern thats not blowing the same way over and over Your corals... I’ve always setup tanks with at least 2: one always pointing towards the bottom, sand/substrate depending... You going with or without a controller/ if so the Korillas could be an option, but space Could be an issue with thier form factor.
Others will answer, so to help them answer: whats your priority: performance, aesthetics, price?

Last edited:

eaquintero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand.... Return pumps alone don't create enough water movement to transport nutrients necessary for good coral health.Wavemakers fill in those dead spots in order to provide uniform movement throughout the whole tank. An mp10 would probably be enough for your tank depending on what corals your a sticking.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One MP10 will probably make you happy but will cost$$$. ...really All you need some kind of pattern thats not blowing the same way over and over Your corals... I’ve always setup tanks with at least 2: one always pointing towards the bottom, sand/substrate depending... You going with or without a controller/ if so the Korillas could be an option, but space Could be an issue with thier form factor.
Others will answer, so to help them answer: whats your priority: performance, aesthetics, price?
Hey thanks. I'd like to have a controller. I plan on just keeping soft corals and zoas in this tank. I'd like something small. I can't stand seeing wires and equipment in a tank. Price is a factor as well. I want something decent but don't want to break the bank just on a wave maker.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 MP40’s and 2 ReefWave 45’sin my tank, I’m overall extremely impressed with the ReefWaves, the random flow option is awesome and dead silent on 80%. I would take a look at the 25’s

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really nice to have a wavemaker with a flow control but it can be pricey. Here are a few brands I'd recommend.
Ecotech MP10qd is the top of the line for your sized tank, the wetsides sometimes need replacement (typically after a few years) they cost $65.
Tunze reliable and great customer service is pricey
Hydor coupled with the flow control
Jaebo is on the cheap side but has a controller. The SLW line is my favorite for nanos if it breaks it's cheap to replace.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is current usa eflux. Its what I use and dead silent.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Jebao SW2 on my 15 gallon and figured I would need 2. Nope, 1 is plenty. And it's dialed way back 2 out of 8 and that creates plenty of flow. Jebaos are cheaper than the rest but you know how the old motto goes "you get what you pay for" but for $50 and it comes with a controller even if you have to replace it in a year or two it's probably worth checking them out. You can control 2 off of one controller but they will need to be each ran off of their own separate controller (if that doesn't make sense I can elaborate). The One controller would wirelessly control the master and the slave. They can do several different wave patterns as well and you can adjust the power of the flow of the wave and the timing of the break. They are minimally invasive as far as cords go too and they are magnetic mount. They also have a feed feature where you hold down the feed button and it stops the flow for 10 minutes and resumes. It also has an optional night mode, if you choose, there is an optical sensor on the controller and when the lights go dark the flow cuts down.

15911544254627760283312984587207.jpg 1591154601886891326117937775866.jpg

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Jebao SW2 on my 15 gallon and figured I would need 2. Nope, 1 is plenty. And it's dialed way back 2 out of 8 and that creates plenty of flow. Jebaos are cheaper than the rest but you know how the old motto goes "you get what you pay for" but for $50 and it comes with a controller even if you have to replace it in a year or two it's probably worth checking them out. You can control 2 off of one controller but they will need to be each ran off of their own separate controller (if that doesn't make sense I can elaborate). The One controller would wirelessly control the master and the slave. They can do several different wave patterns as well and you can adjust the power of the flow of the wave and the timing of the break. They are minimally invasive as far as cords go too and they are magnetic mount. They also have a feed feature where you hold down the feed button and it stops the flow for 10 minutes and resumes. It also has an optional night mode, if you choose, there is an optical sensor on the controller and when the lights go dark the flow cuts down.

15911544254627760283312984587207.jpg 1591154601886891326117937775866.jpg
Thanks. I was looking at the jeboas. I'm new to the reefing hobby so I'm leaning towards this. It's getting expensive quick so of I can save some money then I'm all for it lol.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s what you want to do that’s fine. as long as you genuinely want to. I didn’t get what I genuinely wanted and ended up WASTING $300. Only to spend $350 on what I wanted.

if you don’t get what makes you happy you will end up paying way to much

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was looking at the jeboas. I'm new to the reefing hobby so I'm leaning towards this. It's getting expensive quick so of I can save some money then I'm all for it lol.
I'm not new to the hobby but just set a reef back up again after a handful of years break. So I was essentially starting over. It does get very expensive. I've got over a grand into mine already and it's just a 15 gallon. One of the reasons I went with the Jebao and I am very happy with mine. I would look into their very Chinese website and get the flow rates of them and check out the different models. I would suggest an SW4 but it may not be enough flow for you. Again I got an SW2 and have it barley turned up as I said setting 2 of 8. Keep in mind my tank is 13x13x25". Hope this helps. I'm happy to answer more questions if you have any.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back