wave pumps, water change, corals

spbowe1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of questions today. Any help or input would be appreciated!

1) Wave pumps. I have 2 wave pumps in a 55 gallon. both are in the top back corner angled towards the top of the water and towards the center of the glass. Is this good placement? Any suggestions on where to place them? Don't know if this helps but I have a canister filter (fluvial fx4) intake in the bottom corner, output in the upper opposite corner.

2) Water changes. Ive been doing them at a minimum of once per week, sometimes twice. Every time I do them, I've been vacuuming the substrate. Am I removing my good bacteria. Also, should I be just changing the water out, and only vacuuming occasionally. I have Tiger conchs and a Diamond Watchman goby that turns the substrate very well.

3) Where do I get reliable info on corals. What types, how to care for, placement hardiness, etc. Im old school and can't find books specific to this, so reliable websites or information would be great!

4) Anyone have any experience with a coralife seascape LED setup. The manual sucks, and can't find anything on the web for setup, my LFS is no help either. Was given to me new as a gift, until I can afford something better. Best I can tell, I have red and greens off, white at 60%, blue 100%.

Thanks everyone!

georgeburt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Corals are a good indication as too whether it’s got too much flow or too little, need to have a move around when you get corals to get the flow right, for the time being you just don’t want no dead spots.

2) There is no harm whatsoever vacuuming the substrate weekly, although it probably doesn’t need to be done this often. Your beneficial bacteria is on surfaces of the aquarium, rock and media etc.

3) There is plenty of information out there on all types of corals, have a look on a few websites and make your own decisions is what I’d advise as every tank is different. But you do need to make a decision whether it’s going to be a mixed reef, SPS only/dominant or LPS etc.

4) Can’t help you there as I don’t use that specific lighting.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long tanks like a 55 standard or 20long are a PITA to get randomized flow.

I've found the best options are to put the pumps in the corner like you have and point at the middle, or put them in the middle top and point them at the front corners.

OP
OP
spbowe1

spbowe1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long tanks like a 55 standard or 20long are a PITA to get randomized flow.

I've found the best options are to put the pumps in the corner like you have and point at the middle, or put them in the middle top and point them at the front corners.
ok so possibly place next to each other in the top middle and blast towards the 2 front corners then?

OP
OP
spbowe1

spbowe1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Corals are a good indication as too whether it’s got too much flow or too little, need to have a move around when you get corals to get the flow right, for the time being you just don’t want no dead spots.

2) There is no harm whatsoever vacuuming the substrate weekly, although it probably doesn’t need to be done this often. Your beneficial bacteria is on surfaces of the aquarium, rock and media etc.

3) There is plenty of information out there on all types of corals, have a look on a few websites and make your own decisions is what I’d advise as every tank is different. But you do need to make a decision whether it’s going to be a mixed reef, SPS only/dominant or LPS etc.

4) Can’t help you there as I don’t use that specific lighting.
Thanks for the help!!:)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back