WB 20g cube and now WB 65.4 Acro/Wrasse Wonderland!!

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vrolik's Wrasse, Male
(Halichoeres chrysotaenia

1635901407560.png

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an eye for wrasses! The wrasses you picked can be kept together, the exception being the Mystery wrasse.

Mystery: doesn't play well with other wrasses as it matures, there are exceptions, but generally they take a disliking to other wrasses over time. Best to avoid this guy - catching one in a SPS tank can be a nightmare.

Vrolik's: the pic on LA is an exceptional specimen. Most Vrolik's look like a Melanurus with a different tail pattern. If you can source a Vrolik they are just as good as a Mel at pest control. Nice choice!

Labout's: another nice choice! Peaceful, but if you decide to add another fairy wrasse later down the road he may give it trouble.

Ornate: one of the hardier leopards. Can be kept in pairs or groups.

Blue Star: one of the hardier leopards. Does well in pairs or groups. This is the one species of leopard that is likely to transition to male over time; the LA pic is a male.

Really nice choices!

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an eye for wrasses! The wrasses you picked can be kept together, the exception being the Mystery wrasse.

Mystery: doesn't play well with other wrasses as it matures, there are exceptions, but generally they take a disliking to other wrasses over time. Best to avoid this guy - catching one in a SPS tank can be a nightmare.

Vrolik's: the pic on LA is an exceptional specimen. Most Vrolik's look like a Melanurus with a different tail pattern. If you can source a Vrolik they are just as good as a Mel at pest control. Nice choice!

Labout's: another nice choice! Peaceful, but if you decide to add another fairy wrasse later down the road he may give it trouble.

Ornate: one of the hardier leopards. Can be kept in pairs or groups.

Blue Star: one of the hardier leopards. Does well in pairs or groups. This is the one species of leopard that is likely to transition to male over time; the LA pic is a male.

Really nice choices!

Thank you very very much for sharing your knowledge! Greatly appreciated.
That’s a shame about the Mystery but good news about the others.
In general do the Fairy wrasses not get along with other fairies or is it just the Labout?
What about the flashers? Do they need a bigger tank?

Two others that I’m interested in are the yellow and the radiant. Thoughts on those?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very very much for sharing your knowledge! Greatly appreciated.
That’s a shame about the Mystery but good news about the others.
In general do the Fairy wrasses not get along with other fairies or is it just the Labout?
What about the flashers? Do they need a bigger tank?

Two others that I’m interested in are the yellow and the radiant. Thoughts on those?
Mixing fairy wrasses can be tricky. Some can be complete buttheads and some can be timid. Labout's are peaceful until it becomes a mature male then he can be pushy or even a jerk to other fairies. It's best to not let a Labout's be the only fairy wrasse for an extended period then try to add another fairy, that's when they can switch to jerk mode.

Flashers don't do well in low tanks. They tend to bang off the lid of low tanks too much because they're not used to having the surface so close since they come from deeper waters.

Radiants are one of my favorites! Awesome wrasse, but they are very poor shippers so try to pick one up locally. Yellow canary wrasses are awesome too. Exact same behavior as a Radiant (they are sister species) but they ship much better.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing fairy wrasses can be tricky. Some can be complete buttheads and some can be timid. Labout's are peaceful until it becomes a mature male then he can be pushy or even a jerk to other fairies. It's best to not let a Labout's be the only fairy wrasse for an extended period then try to add another fairy, that's when they can switch to jerk mode.

Flashers don't do well in low tanks. They tend to bang off the lid of low tanks too much because they're not used to having the surface so close since they come from deeper waters.

Radiants are one of my favorites! Awesome wrasse, but they are very poor shippers so try to pick one up locally. Yellow canary wrasses are awesome too. Exact same behavior as a Radiant (they are sister species) but they ship much better.
More fantastic info :cool:
I think I know what I’m going to go for!
2 leopards, either the ornate or blue star, depending on availability…I’d be happy with either.
1 Labouts , can be the sole fairy.
1 Vrolik or Melanarus depending on availability
2 Radiant or 2 Canary or 1 of each depending on availability again.

Im also planning to move my yellow banded possum into this tank unless that’s a bad idea?

Ill be getting them all from Candy Corals, a trusted source, so I won’t have to deal with shipping. I better get in there and tell him what I want!

Is there a best order of introduction to the tank?

Thanks again you rock!!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More fantastic info :cool:
I think I know what I’m going to go for!
2 leopards, either the ornate or blue star, depending on availability…I’d be happy with either.
1 Labouts , can be the sole fairy.
1 Vrolik or Melanarus depending on availability
2 Radiant or 2 Canary or 1 of each depending on availability again.

Im also planning to move my yellow banded possum into this tank unless that’s a bad idea?

Ill be getting them all from Candy Corals, a trusted source, so I won’t have to deal with shipping. I better get in there and tell him what I want!

Is there a best order of introduction to the tank?

Thanks again you rock!!
Sounds like a great plan! My last piece of advice is only get 1 Radiant and 1 Canary don’t get 2 of each as they will fight. I can’t wait to this tank up and running with all these wrasses! Wicked cool :cool:

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting times ahead. The new tank has been chosen and ordered, picking it up this week :cool:
Waterbox 65.4 AIO. Dimensions are 1200x500x450 , 250 litres. (48"x 20" x 18". 66g )
Went with the black stand because it will go well with other furniture in the room it'll be in.

1636211885239.png

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking hard about the aquascape this time. I really like an NSA style but I need to incorporate lots of caves and swim throughs for the fish. Also want to build it so there's no shading from above allowing me to put some sps at the bottom of the tank as well as the top. This will take some doing but I'll get there ! Ha!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I do like the Look of some shading ( Made obvious by my full tank shots) But with only a limited footprint I agree that getting more light Where you are growing corals is probably the best bet.

Stoked on your wrasse game. I've been looking for blue stars locally for a few weeks but haven't found one yet. Probably end up pre-ordering one, or two.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back