We’re not weird like the Tiger King people..............right?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just subscribed to watch "El Camino" and saw the add for this show.....super....now I better get watching this silliness. I remember watching some show years ago about some guy in Indiana or Ohio that had a bunch of tigers.

There are always mountain lion sightings in the Northeast, but they are considered extinct where I am. I always wonder if someones "pet" gets loose.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is Carol any different from the others? She’s doing the same thing but under the name of “conservation”. She’s just as guilty if not more. Just had to get that off my chest.
I don't like any of them and Carol is knowingly profiting financially and socially from the groups that are breeding. However I think Carols current operation is marginally better, she does not breed herself, and makes a home for the larger cats when nobody else wants them.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. At least not hobbyists that ethically and legally keep their animals. I can't stand the public housing large cats, and the people in that show are not the people to advocate for it. From what I can tell it is everything not to do.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is Carol any different from the others? She’s doing the same thing but under the name of “conservation”. She’s just as guilty if not more. Just had to get that off my chest.
Exactly. She reminds me of those YouTubers who keep "rescuing" animals until their one bedroom apartment is a zoo.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. She reminds me of those YouTubers who keep "rescuing" animals until their one bedroom apartment is a zoo.

I finished watching it today...that's just nutty. We rescued our dog from a "rescue", a woman taking on too many dogs and cats to the point where the town was complaining. She got rid of those animals and moved to another town and set up an even bigger shelter. The old house still sits there with a rat problem.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like any of them and Carol is knowingly profiting financially and socially from the groups that are breeding. However I think Carols current operation is marginally better, she does not breed herself, and makes a home for the larger cats when nobody else wants them.

She fed her millionaire hubby to the tigers & stole the will...but hey plus & minus's

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think we definitely are, but it’s not as concentrated. The hobby as a whole is split between Carol vs. Joe Exotic.
That would be a great poll of the day. Are you on the Carole side of the hobby? Or the joe exotic? :)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a great poll of the day. Are you on the Carole side of the hobby? Or the joe exotic? :)

Would that be a good reflection though? Granted I've watched the show and can only glean what I can about the "rescue" side of her operation. I would think if you are "rescuing" say tangs and other big fish from bad hobbyists and had a zoo type establishment where people would come and see these fish they can't have.....ever. From what I saw she is trying to shut down bad hobbyists from having critters they shouldn't have.

Does anyone in the hobby actually got to Washington to try and shut down the pet trade?

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that be a good reflection though? Granted I've watched the show and can only glean what I can about the "rescue" side of her operation. I would think if you are "rescuing" say tangs and other big fish from bad hobbyists and had a zoo type establishment where people would come and see these fish they can't have.....ever. From what I saw she is trying to shut down bad hobbyists from having critters they shouldn't have.

Does anyone in the hobby actually got to Washington to try and shut down the pet trade?
It's weird how we all perceive things differently. To me, Carole and Joe are the same. She started out just like him. Then she came up with the idea of a "rescue" and attempted to put everybody else out of business. In the end she is just another person who is obsessed with big cats and thinks she's the only one who knows how to take care of them.

Translating that to this hobby is difficult on that scale. Maybe Ohio Fish Rescue? Or I once saw a guy on YouTube who "rescued" 7 puffers from a Petco because he felt nobody but him knew how to take care of them. Maybe the people who crossbreed clowns and call the monstrosities designer clownfish?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's weird how we all perceive things differently. To me, Carole and Joe are the same. She started out just like him. Then she came up with the idea of a "rescue" and attempted to put everybody else out of business. In the end she is just another person who is obsessed with big cats and thinks she's the only one who knows how to take care of them.

Translating that to this hobby is difficult on that scale. Maybe Ohio Fish Rescue? Or I once saw a guy on YouTube who "rescued" 7 puffers from a Petco because he felt nobody but him knew how to take care of them. Maybe the people who crossbreed clowns and call the monstrosities designer clownfish?

True she did start out that way, but her business is a nonprofit, although I haven't dug deep into how her place is perceived by big cat conservationists. Which is why I generally stand with permitting, licensing, training, education and some type of government oversight. Sure you really like cats and grew up around animals, etc, fine go get a degree in animal husbandry or hire people who are certified vets, etc. and do it right.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carol was just smarter & had more money than joe. All I know is owning big cats = pyscho.

Ohio fish & the guy in Naples would be closest to them. You cant tell me your rescuing platinum gars etc. I dont know if anyone in salt that's hoarding on that level

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are the most ethical pet I can think of. No brains, easily propagated in captivity and there is little need for wild specimens. I think there is a huge difference between keeping some fuzzy sticks in a glass tank and keeping tigers.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a show I still haven't seen. Part of me wants to, and part of me is afraid... ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back