OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How are those things doing? While I don’t want a ton of big fish in my 6’ 270, I’ve been interested in 3-4 yellow tangs for a while and the lifted ban may allow it to happen next year.
Hey there! So we added the 10 at the beginning of the year and we are 5 strong 11 months later. I think 4-5 yellows is a solid group for a 250-300g system long term.

Here’s the other fish in this system:

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
CE331A76-1145-4FA9-A807-D57D2487E195.jpeg

DB6CE407-4C33-4C24-B117-ED94319F416C.jpeg

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! So we added the 10 at the beginning of the year and we are 5 strong 11 months later. I think 4-5 yellows is a solid group for a 250-300g system long term.

Here’s the other fish in this system:

you can call it 5 strong, I call it 5 weak (half glass full dilemma).. what happened to the 5 fishes?

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about this video the other day and something dawned on me…do you not quarantine new fish?

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was thinking about this video the other day and something dawned on me…do you not quarantine new fish?
I do not quarantine new fishes. I also have a strict regimen where I only add captive bred fish direct from Biota. I have cared for many systems where I have quarantined all fish and it’s just not something I was up for doing this go around… so keeping fish from a single source was the best option for me.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not quarantine new fishes. I also have a strict regimen where I only add captive bred fish direct from Biota. I have cared for many systems where I have quarantined all fish and it’s just not something I was up for doing this go around… so keeping fish from a single source was the best option for me.
I hear ya. After this QT is over my plan is to purchase only quarantined fish and run UV (which I already do anyway). I’m not up for the QT process I guess unless I get a huge outbreak. I’ve already lost 3 fish this time in QT. I think they’ll get much better care letting someone else do the work.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
you can call it 5 strong, I call it 5 weak (half glass full dilemma).. what happened to the 5 fishes?
Being that they are the 5 left I’ll go with 5 strong.

Lost 4 here…

Then lost a 5th from bullying a few months back.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hear ya. After this QT is over my plan is to purchase only quarantined fish and run UV (which I already do anyway). I’m not up for the QT process I guess unless I get a huge outbreak. I’ve already lost 3 fish this time in QT. I think they’ll get much better care letting someone else do the work.
If I were bringing in fish that were wild caughts or in with wild caughts or from other reefers I’d be quarantining. It limits me some on what I can keep but for the most part I have a nice variety of fish for the mixed reef.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that they are the 5 left I’ll go with 5 strong.

Lost 4 here…

Then lost a 5th from bullying a few months back.

Sorry to hear this - and apologies if I come out as insensitive.. I was rather initially thinking along the line of shoal in-fighting and maybe the weaker specimen not making it, but I hear it's been through a tough disease outbreak.

The idea itself is great - and I always wanted to try a shoal of convict tangs, perhaps when I have a larger tank though.. Convict tangs are truly shoaling fish - I have seen 100+ strong shoals (adult specimen, not juveniles) when I was holidaying in Maldives.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to hear this - and apologies if I come out as insensitive.. I was rather initially thinking along the line of shoal in-fighting and maybe the weaker specimen not making it, but I hear it's been through a tough disease outbreak.

The idea itself is great - and I always wanted to try a shoal of convict tangs, perhaps when I have a larger tank though.. Convict tangs are truly shoaling fish - I have seen 100+ strong shoals (adult specimen, not juveniles) when I was holidaying in Maldives.
Thank you, I’m not sure exactly what happened to them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back