We Can Still Buy Live Rock From Australia ?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are probably no reefs on the planet with more of a global eye on them than the GBR, which means that the Queensland and Australian governments tend to err on the side of caution with any decisions relating to these reefs. Legislation almost always lags behind research, that's not a unique trait in this situation. It still amazes me that the changes were made as recently as they were to allow the export of live coral from Australia given the perception of a decision like this being in contradiction with environmental protection. It has been to the benefit of the collectors/exporters but to the detriment of the local hobbyists (obviously legislation isn't made with this under consideration).
Why do you say it's been to the detriment of the local hobbyist...just curious.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say it's been to the detriment of the local hobbyist...just curious.
Prices went up dramatically because people overseas are used to paying high prices for corals that someone has given a fancy name to. Live rock has been the biggest change. The collection quota (total mass of coral and live rock) hasn't changed but the same quantity is now supplying vastly more people. This means that it isn't as profitable to collect and sell live rock that retails at $180-200/box (about $10/kg) when the same weight could be used to collect LPS that sell for $300-1000 each in the US (which equates to thousands per kg).

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are they drop rock into the ocean, let it cook, and then pick it.

Prices went up dramatically because people overseas are used to paying high prices for corals that someone has given a fancy name to. Live rock has been the biggest change. The collection quota (total mass of coral and live rock) hasn't changed but the same quantity is now supplying vastly more people. This means that it isn't as profitable to collect and sell live rock that retails at $180-200/box (about $10/kg) when the same weight could be used to collect LPS that sell for $300-1000 each in the US (which equates to thousands per kg).
That's what I'm told by my lfs.
Collectors can make more in weight for coral than rock. So they don't collect as much.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not. I ordered some from unique corals and it’s legit ocean rock just like we used to get in the good old days. The maricultured/aquacultured rock is always Marco rock or something similar.
I think it is two different sources. The stuff from unique corals was left over/surplus from a scientific project and unique was able to buy the surplus. This was posted on their site. One problem with unique is they store it in the dark until sold so you need to buy it as soon as they get it for the best chance of life.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is two different sources. The stuff from unique corals was left over/surplus from a scientific project and unique was able to buy the surplus. This was posted on their site. One problem with unique is they store it in the dark until sold so you need to buy it as soon as they get it for the best chance of life.

I got some of the unique corals stuff and it definitely had as much life in not more compared to the pacific liverock we used to get from the LFS back in the early 2000’s. I think people sometimes compare Florida rock life to pacific rock life which isn’t realistic due to the logistics of it all. My unique rock came with palys, zoas, worms, feather dusters, sponges, multiple color corraline algaes, assortment of pods, and I’m sure more I’m yet to discover.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought is was illegal to sell live rock from the ocean, but this company is. And I also thought that most of the Great Barrier Reef is dead, for the most part ?

"Australian Ultra Supreme Live Rock. This Live rock is imported from Australia,....... Straight from the ocean to your tank.''

It’s not illegal if you import with the proper permit. I have live rock at this moment and I’m happy to discuss the process if you’re interested. Nice to realize we still have live rock options!

Attachments

• FD9FFCB7-8A77-4474-AA3C-002CCC2BC0AA.jpeg
    FD9FFCB7-8A77-4474-AA3C-002CCC2BC0AA.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 54B39D2A-38FD-41A8-8071-E73585E5C7F7.jpeg
    54B39D2A-38FD-41A8-8071-E73585E5C7F7.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 43
  • 62AF78D6-6F2A-4AEC-A891-BAF57F81AAFD.jpeg
    62AF78D6-6F2A-4AEC-A891-BAF57F81AAFD.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 46

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back