We failed the BRS160 and it survived. Lessons learned over 4+yrs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the whole video. Thank you for this. Most people never show their failures. Only what has worked. And no one would have shown all that aptasia and cyano growing in that tank. It's nice to know that even when you have access to all the best it's still can be a challenge and theres battles to be had. Theres so many people that they new things or fight a pest and only show their success or flat out dissapear so you never actually know what worked or didnt. Expecially what didnt. Thanks again. Great video.

Ps I've honestly found that the Frank's F aptaisa works amazingly. I've used the aptasia x and it caused an explosion in my system. Couldn't have shrimp or berghia bc of all my wrasses. Luckily I had a Copperband that did the job.. took him about 3 months to get them all unfortunatly within a week of him eradicating my tank he passed. Now for the random one I see I use the F aptasia and it completely encapsulates it and it doesnt blow off like the aptasia x. it stays solid for days to weeks depending on where it is in the tank. Just a thought. But I dont know how you would go about going after all of the ones you have. Lol.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video.
It explains why some things work for some people and some tanks while the same things may not work for others.

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS so from this the UV is best plumbed directly to the display? Any one found a good way to go this aesthetically?

I too have mine circulating sump water on it's own pump, still seem to have a Cyano issue though...

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best videos you guys have done. After three decades of keeping reef tanks you hit on exactly the same things that I have learned the hard way by doing the same krap multiple times until I learned better.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love more clarification on this and how a UV should be properly plumbed.

@randyBRS so from this the UV is best plumbed directly to the display? Any one found a good way to go this aesthetically?

I have a Pentair aquatics 40W smart UV (don't know what's smart about it).

I had the intake tube in my display and the outlet going into me filter sock. This was gravity fed as I was trying to fight amphidinium dinos (did NOT work).

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a great video, one of the best!

I will say that I have great success with peppermints, however I think you hit the key point, too much food inputs. When I am using them for aptasia I feed very sparingly and trying to make sure no extra food is uneaten by the fish. Clearly this wasn't ideal for your setup, but they have not failed me in many years - just need to starve them! I have had mixed results with nudis especially with extreme high flow. I have well over 100x and the peps have no issues, but they come out at night and are hungry! Also having shrimp predators probably discouraged them hunting aptasia as well. Always a balance!

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came here to do a search on what the best way to plumb UV is?! LOL. After watching that part of the video, I was like, wait what's the proper way?? Hope for some clarification. My new tank just arrived and I'm preparing plumbing, and I was going to do it the exact way you had it setup in the video

Aquaman508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another failure for the guys at BRS: pronunciation of the word "Tunze"

Just pushing buttons, love your guys' videos.
Lol. There's a ton of mispronunciation in this hobby. "Chaeto" Its pronounced Key•toe. Not Chay•toe. The new one is the Maxspect "Gy•reeeeee" smh. Its pronounced Ji•yer. Like a tire!
Ok im done. Happy reefing.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok im done. Happy reefing.
Well you heard it from Aquaman! keytoe it is.
1580135492235.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back