We finally tested the Black Box LED... Compare notes? | BRStv Investigates

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was better in spread of coverage with no hot spots and in visual appeal (which is obviously subjective).

Oh and the wifi control was flawless.

I agree with all those points. I have heard complaints about the control features from some but in the almost 2 years I have had my 2 AP700s not had any issues.

I am pleased with the spread. I can actually grow montis that get only reflected light from side glass and no direct light from the fixtures. Color blending is also flawless. To me however the best things is just how present my display is to look at.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all those points. I have heard complaints about the control features from some but in the almost 2 years I have had my 2 AP700s not had any issues.

I am pleased with the spread. I can actually grow montis that get only reflected light from side glass and no direct light from the fixtures. Color blending is also flawless. To me however the best things is just how present my display is to look at.
I will say of all the lights I have tested and used, radion, blackbox, SB, AI, kessil, the look of the kessil is the best. They remind me of my 20k halides I used to use.

Tdk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say of all the lights I have tested and used, radion, blackbox, SB, AI, kessil, the look of the kessil is the best. They remind me of my 20k halides I used to use.
Thats cool when i have some more extendable income ill look into getting some until then sb and ati t5s will have to do lol

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats cool when i have some more extendable income ill look into getting some until then sb and ati t5s will have to do lol
Nothing wrong with that at all either. I have been using SB Reef for the past 6 months or so and growing all coral including SPS just fine.

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BoomCoral, great writeup.
Was the AP700 electricity draw about 1.3A measured by a watt meter from the wall?

wooglins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will update this thread with results for the Ultra from sbreef shortly. I expect with Cree diodes, well thought out lenses and an enormous amount of power it will shut out my Hamilton 250watt halide and t5 fixture that I shuttered three years ago. 430 watts of led should be mad powerful. Best part is warmth channel that allows you to dial in or out blue or white without turning down those channels. I have the 45 inch version with 120 diodes. Not exactly a black box, but price is not much more than two 16 inch black boxes that are needed to cover 48 inch tank.

Last edited:

Tdk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will update this thread with results for the Ultra from sbreef shortly. I expect with Cree diodes, well thought out lenses and an enormous amount of power it will shut out my Hamilton 250watt halide and t5 fixture that I shuttered three years ago. 430 watts of led should be mad powerful. Best part is warmth channel that allows you to dial in or out blue or white without turning down those channels. I have the 45 inch version with 120 diodes. Not exactly a black box, but price is not much more than two 16 inch black boxes that are needed to cover 48 inch tank.
Thats awesome can't wait

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 45 inch version with 120 diodes. Not exactly a black box, but price is not much more than two 16 inch black boxes that are needed to cover 48 inch tank.

Isn't the 45 inch Ultra listed at $699.95?
That is way more than two black boxes at $100 each.

CwStrife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't justify an SB Reef box. First he just rips the guts out of the junk boxes and puts new LED's in it. The basic crap inside there is the same I think. He's just charging a premium to replace LED's I think, nothing special about the boxes he has other than the outrageous price.

*EDIT* It is possible he upgrades other things, maybe someone can fill us in on that one?

Last edited:

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't justify an SB Reef box. First he just rips the guts out of the junk boxes and puts new LED's in it. The basic crap inside there is the same. He's just charging a premium to replace LED's I think, nothing special about the boxes he has other than the outrageous price.

I don't have one myself, but everything I've seen (including the FAQ on their site and the video from Fish of Hex up in the thread where he opens one up to connect it to an Apex) shows that the other bits are upgrades as well.

Tony

CwStrife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one myself, but everything I've seen (including the FAQ on their site and the video from Fish of Hex up in the thread where he opens one up to connect it to an Apex) shows that the other bits are upgrades as well.

Tony

I haven't seen any tear downs so i'm only under the assumption which I think I should have said. It is entirely possible he does upgrade the power supply and such. The only way we would know is to rip one apart I suppose. Does he use different optics too other than the stock ones? All of it I question only because you start with a really cheap product.... so what's upgraded and whats not.... Although any tank with his light looks good, but then again even the cheap boxes look pretty good too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back