We finally tested the Black Box LED... Compare notes? | BRStv Investigates

There were so many requests to test the Black Box LED that Ryan finally had to bring one in and test it. We can't wait to see where this thread...
  1. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

But the quality is still poor at best and I think that is what was being illustrated in that regard. Nobody denies they grow corals.

One of the two SBReef 16" BBs that I used to run. It wasn't pretty but it worked.

[​IMG]

2. Jl330

Jl330 Well-Known Member

Should I take the lenses off my mars?

3. madweazl

It made a huge difference in regard to color blending for me but I was only able to mount the lights about 10" above the water. If you can mount the lights considerably higher (e.i. 16+ inches), leave them on.

4. Jl330

Jl330 Well-Known Member

I won't have that much room. I'll be at 8-12 after my canopy gets put together.

5. madweazl

Yea, will look/blend a little better with the lenses removed then.

Jl330 likes this.
  6. Matthew Frost

Matthew Frost Active Member Build Thread Contributor

First, I want to thank Ryan, Randy and the rest of the staff at BRS for this video. It was exceptionally informative, we'll made and I believe done in good conscience so as to be a tool that reefers can use to make informed intelligent decisions. I for one love BRSTV and have spent many an hour lost in videos from this site and credit them to a large degree for inspiring me to get into the hobby.

I hope this isn't viewed as me casting aspersions on BRS, what they are doing or any of the staff. This is an incredibly expensive hobby, so much so in fact that the door is closed on it to a lot of people who simply cannot DIY large portions of a project or do not have Bill Gates' budget. Let's be honest, the BRS 160 is a gorgeous aquarium but if duplicated in my home would likely be more expensive than the car I currently drive. (And I drive a pretty nice car)

The flip side of that coin is if people weren't buying products from Ecotech they simply wouldn't be in business, so there's that. I think, (and I am making a huge assumption) what the staff at BRS is trying to illustrate with videos like this is there is a market for both ends of the spectrum. I dream of one day having a set up that is as nice as some of the build threads I see on this website and the ones I look at on sites like BRS, it just isn't in the cards for me right now. I also will never buy a product for my aquarium that isn't safe, thank you BRS for pointing out some things like the UL listing issue. To me things like that are HUGE, no amount of money saved justifys that kind of risk.

My hope is that there is something or someone out there that is bridging the gap between Bill Gates' set up and mine. I would love to put some quality LED's on the tank I am building that are safe and affordable and am open to suggestions.

7. DansReef.co.uk

DansReef.co.uk Active Member

This was a fantastic video guys, really enjoyed it and really hit those key points home!

randyBRS likes this.
  8. Brad Vaughn

Brad Vaughn Active Member

I'd change them to 425nm blue and I change the green ones too

9. reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I just changed all of mine out. Running this now. I keep my white channel at 17% from on.

This is recent so may not be perfect.

bblankledlayoutv2.jpg

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  10. Brad Vaughn

I switched from kessil to SB Reef lights. My kessils began to burn out after about 2 years and when I contacted the company they said it would be more expensive to replace the LEDs than it would to replace the light. My SBs are 2 1/2 years old now. I will say the need to be mounted lower on the tanks then people are posting here to get good par measurements. I'm rebuilding my canopy to put them down to 8 to 10 inches off of water.

11. Brad Vaughn

Nice how do you like them?

12. reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I think im acclimating more than my corals lol. Actually all my corals were happy with the new diodes. However, the visual appeal more or less is slightly on the violet side though coral color is popping nicely. I mighy play with the white channel intensity in the near future.

13. Brad Vaughn

When I tested PAR my whites were way down. I wanted to get more out of it but when I turn up whites I lose PUR. I'm changing out half my whites so I can boost that channel. My corals look good but I can get better color and growth upping the PAR a bit. Also I had made my canopy really high so it was easier to work in. Redoing that.

teller likes this.
  14. reeferfoxx

If you're calculating PUR via Seneye, it might be off. Not to mention the par meter cant get accurate readings of UV. By the way, have you changed out the 390nm on your SB? They dont last long.

15. Brad Vaughn

No mine are still going.

16. teller

teller Active Member

I still use my mars aqua but changed almost all the LEDs in phases.
    Now I have 8x UVA(385nm), 8x Violets(410-420) in the white channel.
    Only 8x cool white.
    White channel at > 50%. But no lenses at all.
    About 7 inch above water level.
    Will change 4x cool whites to warm whites in near future.

Brad Vaughn and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  17. James Frank

James Frank New Member

I was looking for best led grow lights, and I searched alot on Google about led grow lights review and I found some sites of review of grow light
    https://budsoflife.org/
    It has good number of grow light.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  18. cleaner72

cleaner72 New Member

your tank looks great....what led's did you end up with? I am starting a 120 gallon reef tank and am interested in led lights, but don't want to pay 800 bucks.. thanks in advance.

19. happyhourhero

happyhourhero Valuable Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Still using SB reef lights. I have 3 16" basics over my 100 gallon now.

cleaner72 likes this.
  20. Mauricio M. Jr.

Mauricio M. Jr. New Member

A few years ago I used one of the first black led box (led bridgelux)with 2 T5 Guiesman Super Actinic. I used it for more than 3 years with good results. My reef started with fragments. I have always strictly maintained basic maintenance and used vodka as a source of carbon and amino acids when needed. I am from Brazil and here are very expensive equipment and products for aquarium reef.
    Images is from LG G2 without effects.

1409944344916.jpg

IMG_20121008_153539.jpg

IMG_20121008_154932.jpg

IMG_20130903_141817_715.jpg

1409945350735.jpg

IMG_20121008_153810.jpg

IMG_20130825_190203_346.jpg

CraftDaddy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted