We got a sneak peek of something HUGE for Radion lighting!!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Grandis can you please point your tank thread?
Oh man... here we go..
I don't have one...
I do have a picture that my son took of my 75gal. tank in a post:

Please look for post #307 here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/l...cussion-what-are-your-thoughts.268851/page-16

My tank is just a zoa tank with concrete rocks. Nothing like you guys have there!!! Please don't expect anything amazing!!!
We can't keep corals here in Hawaii. My system can't be compared to the ones you guys have.
I wish we were allowed to keep some Acros here!!!
This is one of the reasons I come to the forum... to see your coral tanks. :D
Take advantage and read the whole thread since the beginning.
Cheers!
Grandis.

tpack17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be fair, until recently there was not a lot of tolerance for anything that reduces overall light output, even if the end users would never use the additional par. A significant portion of the community was only buying lights based on PAR being horsepower and even though we are not going to drive it 200MPH most people still wanted the highest PAR option out there with the perception of getting the most for their dollar. Demand plays a big roll in what is developed and offered.

I think the desire for more PAR changed ~ 3 years ago with the most advanced users and trickled down after. Now almost everyone would take a light with much lower but appropriate par levels and better spectrum blending and light distribution

Ryan, how is the Radions with the diffuser compared to the CoralCare light? Similar or different? Thanks for all you guys do.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan, how is the Radions with the diffuser compared to the CoralCare light? Similar or different? Thanks for all you guys do.

The radion diffuser is a thin sheet of plastic. The Coral care appears to be a frosted piece of glass. I found the coral care to blend the spectrums better but honestly, I don't think that light is ever coming to the US so I am not sure it matters.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The radion diffuser is a thin sheet of plastic. The Coral care appears to be a frosted piece of glass. I found the coral care to blend the spectrums better but honestly, I don't think that light is ever coming to the US so I am not sure it matters.
Any idea of when the diffusers will be available?

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experimented a bit with the 3008 from Rosco and had solid results.

Description
A medium diffuser that spreads the beam, yet maintains a center. Tough, heat resistant base.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/44007-REG/Rosco_101030082024_3008_Tough_Medium_Cinegel.html

There are different diffusers for different purposes and desires. They are only $6.50 so I might try a few
http://us.rosco.com/en/products/catalog/cinegel

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 10.15.53 AM.png

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy with the Gen4 spread of PAR overall but notice that branching corals grow more natural in a tank with evenly spread lighting (T5, T5/MH, T5 LED). Therefore, I just ordered T5 retro kit to supplement my radions and the T5 will be angled towards the front and back, something I don't think the diffuses can replace.. However, I may still consider adding them in the future depending on the cost and if they remove the disco effect then its totally worth it.

Kenneth Wolfe - Your lighting system is off the hook = especially since you can turn those spot lights on and off and give the corals PAR from various spots, much more natural.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xr 15 diffusers available for pre-order on Bulkreefsupply. Xr30w diffuser expected for release next month. Figured I would answer my own question since BRS never did :(.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if anyone has ever used any type of TV/Film scrim to diffuse their LEDs? @saltyfilmfolks perhaps? Seems like something obvious, but I never thought of it before.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experimented a bit with the 3008 from Rosco and had solid results.

Description
A medium diffuser that spreads the beam, yet maintains a center. Tough, heat resistant base.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/44007-REG/Rosco_101030082024_3008_Tough_Medium_Cinegel.html

There are different diffusers for different purposes and desires. They are only $6.50 so I might try a few

http://us.rosco.com/en/products/catalog/cinegel

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 10.15.53 AM.png

I had not completed reading the thread, but now see @Ryanbrs mentions this above. I wish my tank was all set right now so I could grab a scrim and see how it looks. I may do it anyway and throw a piece over my SB Reefs lights and see how it affects them on a LUX or PAR meter.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if anyone has ever used any type of TV/Film scrim to diffuse their LEDs? @saltyfilmfolks perhaps? Seems like something obvious, but I never thought of it before.
Yup. I have 8 kinds of diffusion in the garage on rolls. 3 are thin enough to not cut to much light.
I'd look for half opal if you want to play with it.

There's a few other thin ones out there. Actually ask the art director , it's a window treatment

Me , I went getto Grip.
Sanded acrylic so it was less dense (by eye and meter ) than Opal frost gel.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/its-not-a-rumor-saltyfilmfolks-got-new-lights.330771/
IMG_0449.JPG

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$45 for an XR15w diffuser is borderline pricey because it brings the light up to $444 if you were to start from scratch. Something that should be included with the light itself as an accessory to be used or not.
But in the end, they had me paying for it anyway Lol.

studentdriver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I received my Ecotech Diffuser a few days ago. The diffuser is just a very thin sheet of plastic, mine came with a cut in the diffuser sheet. I'm returning it back to BRS.

Instead I decided to use a diffuser took off from a Philips BR-40 LED bulb and it's a perfect fit under the XR-15. I think it's works at least as well as the Ecotech diffuser to my eyes. I did NOT compare PAR from both diffusers. Below is a link to the bulb if anyone is interested in saving yourself some money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094BDB8...t=&hvlocphy=9015414&hvtargid=pla-309000776104

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back