We got a sneak peek of something HUGE for Radion lighting!!

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny now.
Many people complains Jebao copies others solutions...who dares to say that now ecotech copies Phillips solution.
Ahahhahaha.

I said it in the other thread and the BRS YouTube video on the subject. If Philips Coral Care were available in the US I think Ecotech would have some really serious competition. This is a blatant copy IMHO.

Don

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny now.
Many people complains Jebao copies others solutions...who dares to say that now ecotech copies Phillips solution.
Ahahhahaha.
#capitalism

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously? I assumed they would work like AI Hydras or something. For that much money they should work from your phone at the very least.

For whatever reason EcoTech still uses radio frequency instead of wifi in all their devices. The Reeflink is the wifi bridge for all the components. I like and use EcoTech pumps but not including wifi is bizarre. Most likely just to pry more money from your wallet.

Oh actually I forgot to also mention it's like an additional $40 per pump just to get the radio module too (for MP10's anyway).

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said it in the other thread and the BRS YouTube video on the subject. If Philips Coral Care were available in the US I think Ecotech would have some really serious competition. This is a blatant copy IMHO.

Don
I totally agree with you.
More, even BRS made a video about Phillips coral care with par measurements and visual effects.... And BRS liked a lot.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny now.
Ahahhahaha.
Of course this is not a proprietary solution but still I had to make this joke.

Those kind of different too much to compare. Not like Ecotech is making a light exactly like Phillips Coralcare. Adding a diffuser to the very different light it more like adding an ATO module with same type of sensor to a very different aquarium controller. Well, maybe it's time to blast on Apex copying ATO solutions from somewhere ~ or controllable pump or ALK monitoring.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those kind of different too much to compare. Not like Ecotech is making a light exactly like Phillips Coralcare. Adding a diffuser to the very different light it more like adding an ATO module with same type of sensor to a very different aquarium controller. Well, maybe it's time to blast on Apex copying ATO solutions from somewhere ~ or controllable pump or ALK monitoring.
Kinda missing the point. When the Coralcare came out people talked all kinds of smack about the diffuser panel and how it decreased par too much blah blah blah. Now ecotech does the same thing and it's all of a sudden a game changer. BRS tested the Coralcare and found that it measured just like a T5 in the way it spread the light which no other led on the market can do.

Let's not forget that while the Coralcare is massive it's made of aluminum and glass. No fans and waterproof. Plus it also has what are considered the best diodes in the industry and the rolls Royce of violet LEDs with Luxeon UV. Just the violet diodes alone on the Coralcare cost more than all the diodes on the Radion wholesale.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don

Philips Coral Care is far less appealing on the form factor, too big thus less versatile on smaller tank, and lack of tank mounting options. It also still need to provide a wireless control solution, both hardware and software. It currently only has a USB controller, which sold separately. IMHO it's not really bringing more competition than other LEDs in the US market now.

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the biggest difference with the Coral Care is that it, at least to me, seems to be "Let's build a fixture that is purpose built, does what it's supposed to do, do it incredibly well, and looks come second". I have always felt the small puck designs on the current aquarium LEDs were a mistake. Philips spreads them out, uses the best diodes money can buy and people complain it looks ugly. Does it look industrial, yes. Is it less "controllable" than a Radion, yes. But I will say this, I believe we have way TOO MUCH control with %99 of the LEDs on the market. Philips knows lighting way better than any of us do. They measure spectrums, built the programs and let us adjust intensity and spectrum, much like the Kessil but vastly improved. I for one am waiting impatiently for the Coral Care to come to the US. Until then I am sticking with my large T5 fixture.

Don

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the joke but I respect a lot ecotect company and the quality of their products.
I just don't like the Apple like business model, that is make a product which cost 150 €/$ and sell it for 900 €/$, but I like businesses and others ,unfortunately, are doing the same which is not good for led expansion in the reef hobby. Just my opinion! I respect different opinions.
You see the example of T5.....you have a fixture that covers almost all the reef tanks: for me this is the future of LEDs...a single fixture with LEDs covering almost all the area of the tank! Could be like those reefbrits segments we could replace just like T5 bulbs! To combine different looks, just like T5.
I never liked the puck style of LEDs.
Of course this is just my opinion.
English is not my first language so don't be harsh on me.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda missing the point. When the Coralcare came out people talked all kinds of smack about the diffuser panel and how it decreased par too much blah blah blah. Now ecotech does the same thing and it's all of a sudden a game changer. BRS tested the Coralcare and found that it measured just like a T5 in the way it spread the light which no other led on the market can do.

Let's not forget that while the Coralcare is massive it's made of aluminum and glass. No fans and waterproof. Plus it also has what are considered the best diodes in the industry and the rolls Royce of violet LEDs with Luxeon UV. Just the violet diodes alone on the Coralcare cost more than all the diodes on the Radion wholesale.

Is putting a diffuser in front of an array of LED even a patternable solution? There are more LEDs out there do similar thing. The implementation of the diffuser don't even resemble each other. Is that not OK to learn from others then? Well Philips is copying others idea of making a LED for coral then.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Philips Coral Care is far less appealing on the form factor, too big thus less versatile on smaller tank, and lack of tank mounting options. It also still need to provide a wireless control solution, both hardware and software. It currently only has a USB controller, which sold separately. IMHO it's not really bringing more competition than other LEDs in the US market now.
Of course I understand your opinion.
But I just give you an example: Tunze.
It does not make the most beautiful wavemakers but they put a lot in the quality.
It is a preference: quality or style.
Of course if you can add both you are a winner!
I prefer quality and you may prefer style.
We are both right because it is our personal preference.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is putting a diffuser in front of an array of LED even a patternable solution? There are more LEDs out there do similar thing. The implementation of the diffuser don't even resemble each other. Is that not OK to learn from others then? Well Philips is copying others idea of making a LED for coral then.
Of course it can.
As I said before this is not a proprietary solution.
I just made the joke because imagine if it was the way around.... Reefbreeds, jebao, ghl, sblights or any other copying the diffuser from ecotech.....I bet your comment would be the opposite you wrote.
But its just my opinion.
As I said before I respect ecotech a lot and their quality products but Apple like businesses models also means Apple fan boys who can not admit that there are different solutions that work where you do not to sell your kidney to have a light system above your reef tank.
By the way I am completely pro LEDs, I use it, but I do understand many complaints about it like shadow problems, too expensive and after 2/3 years they deprecate the fixture, etc.
I like LEDs but I am not stupid...this way is doing no good to LEDs become a prime lighting system in this hobby. It is just holding it back.
As I say previously I believe in a solution just like T5....one fixture covering almost all the tank and instead of T5 bulbs, the equivalent but in LEDs segments like those reefbrites, sbars, whatever , easily changeable. Not these puck style fixtures that you have to buy 3/4/5... Costing thousands just to be replaced after 3/4 years if not soon.
Also I don't understand this thing of having apps to control these fixtures: these things should just be configured at most 1 or 2 times a year, the most.

Last edited:

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using the AB+ with gen3 with Apex. I would really like to see the curve for that.

Last edited:

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price is still absolute BS. $700 is really absurd for some tiny lights and I don't think I would ever consider using any of the big brand LEDs like them or Kessils unless I won them or got them used for a very low price. Welcome to the life of a reefer that is too young to get a job lol

What you're comparing it against though. XR30 is covering 2 ft area from 8" above water to 18" deep with 200 par. It's not cheap to achieve that with cheaper LED. And if you don't need that level, a single XR15 is pretty good for 2 ft coverage. $400 for every 2 ft is not bad. In comparison, Nanobox is one of the led start from DIY and consider economic solution, but quad only output 100par in the center 20" from sensor, and it cost $675. I was natively think nanobox duo is enough to cover 2ft, oh man am I wrong. Then after a year of not so success, I have to upgrade. Now I look back, I'm not so sure choosing the cheaper light actually saved me money.

Radion is under specify it's coverage while many others are exaggerating. So if you compare the light saying cover the same it appears to be cheaper, but it's barely light up on the edge of its coverage.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bashing here at all. Ecotech has its place and is a top notch product. I very much respect them in all fairness, but I me personally could never justify the price tags they ask for them.

I predict that the next "ground breaking " advancement for them is to get away from puck design and spread the diode layout over the entire fixture, like the Coralcare/Chinese designs, with this diffuser "technology". Mark my words, this is next and will justify $800+ price tags.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see the diffuser option. I hope they make them for the XR30 as well.

This is a 3d printed prototype, not the finished product.

52477196048__D40813F4-EFB4-4D17-9FC9-03F2A53B56BD.JPG

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the diffuser element and coral care comparison. I totally get the comparison and even though I liked the coral care performance a lot I have to share two things. First, the coral care is not a real product in the US, not available for sale and I haven't seen any signs of that changing so /shrug. They were not the first to do a diffuser as well. Build my LED had them and diffusers are used in all kinds of other LED applications.

I don't think it is a revolutionary technology advancement. However, if you see the results in person I would absolutely say it is game changing results from a visual perspective. Really huge improvement almost anyone would appreciate. Will be really interesting to see what everyone thinks when they show up on the market.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the diffuser element and coral care comparison. I totally get the comparison and even though I liked the coral care performance a lot I have to share two things. First, the coral care is not a real product in the US, not available for sale and I haven't seen any signs of that changing so /shrug. They were not the first to do a diffuser as well. Build my LED had them and diffusers are used in all kinds of other LED applications.

I don't think it is a revolutionary technology advancement. However, if you see the results in person I would absolutely say it is game changing results from a visual perspective. Really huge improvement almost anyone would appreciate. Will be really interesting to see what everyone thinks when they show up on the market.

Ryan, has there been any price point leaked on this? Ball park!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well we are going to like it if it doesnt cost something stupid, lets face it theres not much to it so the price should reflect that .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back