Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, shock was my first reaction and then sadness. So young for him to be gone. I think I've watched just about every video and article he has put out over the years. I saw him become a better and better reefer as time went on. I felt he was always learning along with us. I never met him in person, but he was one of the few that I maintained a following with. He will be greatly missed.

OGKro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Heck no !!!!
Was he ill ?
Sad news it is !!

1666395829114.png
No he died during his flight to bali. Apparently a heart attack T_T

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My condolences to Jakes family. This is just devastating. A real loss not just to our hobby but to society a whole. Jake was a special human and I’m glad we got to know him through Reef Therapy. I will miss you Jake, after 12 years checking RB daily for your articles. One of the very few people in the world I had hoped to meet one day. So sorry to hear read this news. I hope I can make you proud through commitment to your teachings.

JoeyDiesel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So upsetting, what tragic news. RIP Jake you will be dearly missed

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I know many of you cared for Jake and are very concerned about what actually happened to him. There is a lot of hearsay as to why he died but it's just that at this time. Please refrain from speculating or sharing information you hear from other sources outside of his family or Reef Builders.

Thank you for understanding.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really having problems with this. I didn't know Jake, I never met him, but like a lot of people here, I feel like I have lost a friend.

This is perhaps a deeper discussion with no real answer, but life is very frustrating and unfair sometimes. Good people dying and/or getting sick young, and absolute scum of the earth living until 90. The balance doesn't seem right.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A heavy loss to of course his family and to the hobby. Jake was one of the few that made a huge difference in this hobby. The value of the content he added be it on RB, his podcast, Macna and other meetings and also his will to chat Reef and answer questions is second to none.
I was lucky to meet him a few times in dubai where he came to reefer meetings hosted by one of the LFSs as well as a few times in Macna. And also had the chance to chat a few times with him when I had a challenging question in my tank.
We had loads of discussions about fish choices in my tank as well as to talk about corals.
I still blame him for being the reason went for a Macarassensis when one shipped to dubai, its still in my tank and looking at it always made me happy that is till 2 days back when it just became heartbreaking to see it, yet it'll always be a good memory of Jake.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad.
I know Jake's in good hands now... but I just feel terrible for his family.
He was still so young.... just really sad.

Saying prayers for his family. I can't imagine what they are going through right now. ugh

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was nobody better on Youtube or social media for reefing than Jake. I know of no other Youtubers that have anywhere near the qualifications he had. Most Youtubers and coral farmers were once hobbyists turned into "experts" but this guy was a marine biologist who dove all over the world. I learned more from listening to him and Mark on Reef Therapy than anywhere else. Their reefing conversations were next level. This is a horrible loss for the hobby.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to hear this. Prayers for the family. Cause at this time listed as unknown. All I could find out was it was sudden.

bgoldb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently I realized that I was going through a bored phase with the hobby. As I stared at my tank, eyes slightly blurred, I remember thinking about Jake Adams and wishing I could get back the passion that temporarily eluded me and that he always exhibited so vibrantly in his videos and articles. At that moment I walked over to my family room television, opened the YouTube app on the Apple TV and watched one of his perfectly produced videos from a somewhat recent trip to Australia where he highlighted one of the nicest home SPS dominant reef aquariums I have ever seen. Jake being Jake, named every coral and fish in the tank but in a way that was conversational and engaging while always being respectful of his host. Like so many on this forum, he was an inspiration to me and an authoritative voice that I respected more than any other in this hobby. He was a true ambassador. His impact on the hobby is unquestionable and the way he touched all of us with his extensive knowledge, unwavering dedication and endless passion is what I will remember most.

I wish I would have told you how much I appreciate you. I will truly miss you.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Calizoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I met Jake a few years ago in Orlando as we walked around somehow together at the show and would asked him, what do you think of this one? And just as some friend giving his honest opinion he would tell me what thought down to earth. I’ve read RB like some newspaper that landed on my door for years,you will be greatly missed

j1992c58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been informed that the family knows and now we here at R2R are able to mourn together the tragic news that the reefing community has lost Jake Adams of ReefBuilders.

I’m at a loss for words as Jake was a very good friend to my family and the R2R community. I had tremendous respect for him and his work and he will be sorely missed.

Prayer for his precious wife and family.

UPDATE from Reef Builders:

We love you Jake, Rest In Peace.

1D00597A-218C-4FA3-A1E7-563F80A75FCE.jpeg
Rest in peace brother in reefing im praying for your family

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back