We Need to Band Together and Stop the Naming of Clams

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have no issue with naming most corals. I HATE people who rename stuff that already has a name, or those that lies and says that a piece is a named piece just to sell it. However, naming clams is going too far. Each one is unique and you cannot frag them, so this goes too far for me. It isn't like you can come up with a great name for a clam and sell frags of it for a few years at a high price.

Agreed...

Weedy Sea Dragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious....who is coming up with these names and what even gives them a right to name it?

I could understand if you create or discover a new species but as far as I can tell that's not the case.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna fight the people naming clams. Hey if you discovered that new tridachna from the red sea go ahead and call it Borealis sunset ultra 2 or whatever but the croeaca, dersera, maximas, and sqamis already have a name, use that because geuss what. you can figure out what it is by looking at it unlike acros and all that junk that sells for 500 bucks a piece.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I totally agree with everything you are saying and how ridiculous it is that people and vendors will give a clam,coral or fish a million different names. However calling out one vendor is not fair because every vendor I’ve seen does it. I happen to really like that particular vendor and think he gives some of the best prices on coral regardless of the ridiculous name that may be attached to it lol. However I still totally agree with how ridiculous renaming things in our hobby has become.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

I too stumbled upon the same vendor this week.

Love this particular example:

upload_2018-11-30_0-22-7.png

Im sad to say I have huge colony of green star branching type split between my tanks and not the more exotic Toxic Razorblades Green Star.

Perhaps I need to get rid of my colony and buy a colony of this ultra-rare-super-exotic-absolutely-fascinating-utterly-lucrative-uber-strand.

No wonder it's sold out.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I totally agree with everything you are saying and how ridiculous it is that people and vendors will give a clam,coral or fish a million different names. However calling out one vendor is not fair because every vendor I’ve seen does it. I happen to really like that particular vendor and think he gives some of the best prices on coral regardless of the ridiculous name that may be attached to it lol. However I still totally agree with how ridiculous renaming things in our hobby has become.
For the record:
I was not the 1st poster on this thread to mention this San Diego vendor.
I regularly shop at this LFS, and I am a happy customer there.
I was viewing their online store when I came across the named Favia, and it reminded me of what I had read here earlier in the day.

I copied the link and pasted it here because I think this vendor earned some free advertising from the post. I hope they make a sale, and trust they are not going to be offended if they read the thread. They have a great business and they work hard to name and sell their stock and they do well at it. I trust they will thrive in the future, and hope everyone who reads this gets a chance to visit their shop and buy something when you do. I’ll probably swing by there this afternoon and see if I’m stilll allowed to shop there?

I might just get that “Bite me” coral since it’s value should be at least double after all this attention, right?
:)
Without animus

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record:
I was not the 1st poster on this thread to mention this San Diego vendor.
I regularly shop at this LFS, and I am a happy customer there.
I was viewing their online store when I came across the named Favia, and it reminded me of what I had read here earlier in the day.

I copied the link and pasted it here because I think this vendor earned some free advertising from the post. I hope they make a sale, and trust they are not going to be offended if they read the thread. They have a great business and they work hard to name and sell their stock and they do well at it. I trust they will thrive in the future, and hope everyone who reads this gets a chance to visit their shop and buy something when you do. I’ll probably swing by there this afternoon and see if I’m stilll allowed to shop there?

I might just get that “Bite me” coral since it’s value should be at least double after all this attention, right?
:)
Without animus
I may of been the first to mention them but IMO its all in good fun. I have been to their shop (maybe even justified as facility) many times. Great guys with super excellent corals. I have even joked around with the guys when comparing goniaporas. All of them where lined up and pretty close to identical but we where giving all of them different names as a joke.
This lead to a conversation about online sales between eBay, their online store, and R2R. Lets just say they are doing more than fine especially for selling coral. I would not be surprised if they are top 5 in the industry as far as online sales.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I call my deresa George.
BEST POST AWARD goes to THIS GUY!! ^^^ ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious
These three T. croceaclams came from the same parents at the same time and have lived right next to each other since being placed in this outdoor tank.
Notice the big one is about twice the size of the small one.. (James W. Fatherree). Why would they have different names. They're Croceas. That's it that all.
DSC03438.jpg
I see Ralph, Sophia, and Bartholomew

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEST POST AWARD goes to THIS GUY!! ^^^ ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

I see Ralph, Sophia, and Bartholomew

Thanks! I kinda liked it too ;)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you can't frag clams to get identical clones naming to me seems silly. Heck I think it has gone too far even with corals, but at least with frags they are the same individual (or should be).

The only naming I would accept with clams is from Acro Al – and only to identify his stock. That might not be different from saying ORA or PEA clam, but it means more imo. From what I know he is the only person to breed clams totally inland and has even closed the lifecycle of them, that is babies from captive spawned parent clams. Just amazing.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only naming I would accept with clams is from Acro Al – and only to identify his stock. That might not be different from saying ORA or PEA clam, but it means more imo. From what I know he is the only person to breed clams totally inland and has even closed the lifecycle of them, that is babies from captive spawned parent clams. Just amazing.
That's cool!! I didn't know anyone had done that.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back