We should use the collective power of the chem forum to prove or deny the possibility of sustained .25 ammonia in reefing

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False cycle microbiology put out by reef authorities causes 4x bottle bac overpurchase, in the name of nitrite stalling. We will convince them they’re ready, in total opposition to the authorities. See updates now running on the nitrite tank just above in the prior post.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

read first paragraph. Due to confusing online videos that imply all aquariums must cycle, the owner was going to buy bottle bac due to a hovering ammonia reading, we stopped that.
His tank is 100% cycled the day he brought home the rocks.
bottle bac makers are 0 for four so far here.

I bet by 2023 I’ve back edited four hundred stops of bottle bac purchase plus calling out the sellers. Get popcorn

what bottle bac makers purposefully omit: any substrate with an adhered live animal doesn’t need our product, it’s cycled, and it can’t not be cycled, it can’t be partial cycled. See how bottle bac makers make money off hesitation? they’ve built it into our hobby concept of cycling, and it doesn’t exist.

all aquariums have a known date, a specific time on a calendar, where you can begin reefing if you factor simply time underwater, visual cues, and boosters applied. That start date might be day one of a convention for aquariums, or it might be the day you get the keys to the new place, we can meet that date for all reefs.

The booster in this case was complete aquarium pre curing. Moving rocks from one tank to another never ever ever kills the filter bac. Why does our hobby not just unequivocally state that? why has no author ever wrote that in a reef book?

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just retracted my posts in the thread above, the direction of that thread is trending towards more re verification beyond the included bubble tipped anemone that the tank is cycled.

take note how we in forums sell bottle bac on the recommend, we keep up our own payment momentum. he already bought live rock, then reinvested in bottle bac, and might do it again, solely due to test readings from non seneye.

heres one we caught in time. My nitrite has been stuck sixty days. No it hasnt, your cycle is done let’s begin

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="brandon429]

Old school tank self regulators will be decrepit old men in caves reliving tales of the rebellion to a granite wall eventually. Ways that certifiably make coral grow with simple feed and water changes will be relegated back to just lucky strokes, nothing long term without the purchase and then re supplement ongoing purchase. cue vader breathing
[/QUOTE]

LOL, sadly there's a lot of truth behind this statement. Our economic system encourages each generation to become more consumer oriented/reliant and that is certainly reflected in reef keeping culture today. Living examples of long lasting, successful reef aquaria utilizing just the essentials will become even more rare in the years to come as reefing old timers move on...

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they invent dosers that indeed reduce water change work and waste thats a real step up. Ive been enjoying Taricha's work thread on analysis of the sludge digesting action of common bottle bac, very good stuff. lots of purchases are made to try and reduce manual work, manual cleaning of detritus. he's finding those dosers $ really dont reduce much, very good work.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they invent dosers that indeed reduce water change work and waste thats a real step up. Ive been enjoying Taricha's work thread on analysis of the sludge digesting action of common bottle bac, very good stuff. lots of purchases are made to try and reduce manual work, manual cleaning of detritus. he's finding those dosers $ really dont reduce much, very good work.
Brandon do you have a link too that thread please ...

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

he and Dan always do such good science work

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thos is very interesting and I am a seneye user. I got it later in my cycle life but I am currently sitting at .005 NH3. Been like this for about 3 or 4 days. I do not see any I'll effect on the fish. But I'd be willing to share my sene yr e data if anyone wants to see it.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes thank you so much post all your avai data pls, its such a new device we dont get comparative details much. excellent

we want to see if patterns stand out from the start

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either way you think shows trending for ammonia levels pretty well, also can you let us know if you dosed any good sources such as liquid ammonium chloride, or a dead shrimp, or was it a fish-in cycle/ how did it start.

some screen shots are nice that way it'll flow like Jason's above too easy to see n scroll

what if the .25 api reading is actually accurate but one decimal off/.025 that would explain fifty five thousand search returns and be quite complementary to the worlds most used ammonia tester.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mentioned before that I thought the slides degrade near the end of the month ...well I just changed mine and I noticed this ....my ph reading near the end of the month had risen ...
Screenshot_20200226-000459_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200226-000524_Samsung Internet.jpg
On nh3 was a slight difference...
Not sure if this is relevant...
Screenshot_20200226-002052_Samsung Internet.jpg

This was NH3 at the time of change of slide

Last edited:

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if the .25 api reading is actually accurate but one decimal off/.025 that would explain fifty five thousand search returns and be quite complementary to the worlds most used ammonia tester.
This actually makes a lot of sense ...!

Sboling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is notorious for reading .25 ammonia when in fact its actually 0.

I actually think the problem lies with them using the same reagents for fresh as they do salt. When you mix their reagents in salt, the water gets slightly "thick" and aleays has that slight green tint to it.

I don't think the problem is stuck cycles, its people using API because their cheap and easy. No one will use anything else starting out unless the LFS tells them to. Any big box store that most people are going to go to to get advice and startup, sells API. Unfortunately that is never going to change anytime soon.

199.99$ for the seneye to monitor ammonia(yes I know it does more, but were only talking one parameter here), or 25$ for the API master reef kit. If you were starting out and have already had the hard purchase of tank, stand, LR, LS, lights, return pump, and PH, which do you think you would choose?

It's not stalled cycles, its getting people to stop using the API ammonia kit.
I got the api tests and the ammonia tests have .25 readings even now, but my tank is fine despite never having a reading under .25 with that test. I just chalked it to false.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the api tests and the ammonia tests have .25 readings even now, but my tank is fine despite never having a reading under .25 with that test. I just chalked it to false.
That's what we are led too believe ....but my seneye says I've always got some ammonia in my tank...even if it is only a small amount ... .012 st the moment...

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This actually makes a lot of sense ...!

I like this perspective, kinda like a reefing Twilight Zone episode.

@taricha and I spent quite a few hours in the lab recently with the API NH3 test kit. With an unmodified test kit, 0.25 is about the limit of detection by eye, maybe a little lower with a spectrometer. We did modify the test so that 0.05 ppm might just be detectable by eye. With a spectrometer, maybe 0.02. Keep in mind that this value is total ammonia. Since NH3 accounts for a fraction of this total, free ammonia is less than half this value.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so helpful here to frame concepts!

hey what was the ammonia source during cycle, was it raw ammonium chloride liquid or shrimp decay, or none added/those are environmental / naturally vectored ammonia readings for the first few weeks

thank you for presenting in our collections of digital ammonia measures to scan for extended hold periods, none so far

Whatever ammonia starts at in a cycle, it’s motion is continually down until it reaches max control rate set by surface area mechanics+current etc

ammonia does not stick, stall or hold where normal surface area/rocks and sand are present and inoculated.

hey is it true your current seneye ammonia level is .003/thousandths

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason M I’m enjoying seeing how these two seneyes in two different reefs run pretty darn close numbers, a real calibration boon for this tester.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really not trying to be rude, but just understand what exactly you are trying to prove?

Are you simply trying to prove that in the cycling process ammonia never "stalls" in being consumed and converted to nitrite? If so I have never heard the claim that it does stall out in that manner.

I was confused because at one point you were talking about reef life consuming ammonia as soon as it's produced. But those things wouldn't be present in a cycling tank.

As far as ammonia after a tank is cycled, I tend to lean towards Dr. Farley and believe that every day it is up and down to some amount.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back