We Tanked our pH Using Automation, and the Simple Solution to Fix it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last few years we’ve been part of a cabal urging reefers to really push their aquarium pH ever higher to achieve robust stony coral growth. There are lots of little things you can do to elevate the pH of reef aquarium water including continuous and frequent dispensing of buffer throughout the day, using…
Source

Continue reading...

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more likes or attention.

Just finished reading this, I almost stopped after you mentioned using Kalk because I thought that was going to be the conclusion to raise pH but I'm glad I finished the article. I've been investigating a similar pH problem in my home. Carbon Dioxide in the air doesn't seem to be the main culprit and I have my ATO automated to fill up just like your setup. However, I don't use Kalk in my setup. I threw an airstone in my ATO reservoir this morning to see if it has an impact on my tank. As little as I top off each day and without kalk I can't imagine it will have a large impact, at least not quickly, but over time maybe it will raise it. Worth testing it out at least.

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice write up, wondering if an air stone in the sump would help? does it have to be in freshwater?
I think the main issue with that is salt creep which is why it's not recommended in salt. You wouldn't have that issue in the ATO with freshwater.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back