Weaning Baby Fish onto Prepared Foods

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips? Best foods to try? Specifically I'm trying to wean baby Banggai fry off BBS.

EYE-CANDY AQUATICS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reduced feeding the bbs and fed the desired food everyday. I supllemented with the bbs every couple days just to make sure they wouldn't starve but they switch after a short while

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reduced feeding the bbs and fed the desired food everyday. I supllemented with the bbs every couple days just to make sure they wouldn't starve but they switch after a short while
How do you know when they're strong enough to handle that?

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you the best of luck with the baby!!

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start using TDO by Reef Nutrition. They have small sizes .
I have tried that but they just ignore it. I have tried TDO, finely chopped Fish Frenzy, shaved PE Calanus, fish eggs, spirulina enriched brine shrimp both whole and chopped. I have seen them give some interest in the spirulina brine shrimp, they do seem to eat only the smallest specs of the fish frenzy but very little. I've been feeding very little BBS to try to keep them hungry.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried that but they just ignore it. I have tried TDO, finely chopped Fish Frenzy, shaved PE Calanus, fish eggs, spirulina enriched brine shrimp both whole and chopped. I have seen them give some interest in the spirulina brine shrimp, they do seem to eat only the smallest specs of the fish frenzy but very little. I've been feeding very little BBS to try to keep them hungry.

When it comes to weaning Banggai cardinals off of live feeds, you have to keep at it. Did you offer them TDO more than once? Do you have enough water current to keep the granules suspended? What size TDO did you use?

We do have a customer that was able to get Banggais onto TDO very early on.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to weaning Banggai cardinals off of live feeds, you have to keep at it. Did you offer them TDO more than once? Do you have enough water current to keep the granules suspended? What size TDO did you use?

We do have a customer that was able to get Banggais onto TDO very early on.
I offered the TDO several times but admittedly have been offering frozen foods more. It just seems logical that they would be more willing to eat something closer to what they've been eating. They love your Tigger Pods though! I got the TDO as a sample when Chad Clayton came and gave a talk on your products and facility for my club(SDMA). It's the 840-1410 but I did crush them a little bit to be smaller. The flow is a good point. I don't. I have the fry in a 5g tank and the flow is not adequate. I'm going to put them in a 10g or 20g tank then I'll be able to put a powerhead in there for some flow. Really I should just build a legit breeding system. I have it all planned out, just need to execute.

One of them just ate 3 big pieces of the frozen spirulina brine shrimp so maybe they will start on that hopefully. Most of them still ignore it though. I'll definitely be getting some of the A or B size TDO for future frys.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I offered the TDO several times but admittedly have been offering frozen foods more. It just seems logical that they would be more willing to eat something closer to what they've been eating. They love your Tigger Pods though! I got the TDO as a sample when Chad Clayton came and gave a talk on your products and facility for my club(SDMA). It's the 840-1410 but I did crush them a little bit to be smaller. The flow is a good point. I don't. I have the fry in a 5g tank and the flow is not adequate. I'm going to put them in a 10g or 20g tank then I'll be able to put a powerhead in there for some flow. Really I should just build a legit breeding system. I have it all planned out, just need to execute.

One of them just ate 3 big pieces of the frozen spirulina brine shrimp so maybe they will start on that hopefully. Most of them still ignore it though. I'll definitely be getting some of the A or B size TDO for future frys.

Hey there! This is Chad. Glad you were able to make it to my talk. Also glad to hear the Tigger-Pods got consumed.

That's good that they are eating frozen and now a little TDO. Keep in mind that TDO was designed to increase growth rates in larval and post-metamorphic fish, so it is a step above when it comes to dry feeds. Many breeders have incorporated it into the broodstock diet as well. It's being used in large-scale and small-scale fish hatcheries all over the U.S. A good dry feed also makes it simple to feed out and use in an auto-feeder.

I look forward to following your progress with these guys!

Best,
Chad

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! This is Chad. Glad you were able to make it to my talk. Also glad to hear the Tigger-Pods got consumed.

That's good that they are eating frozen and now a little TDO. Keep in mind that TDO was designed to increase growth rates in larval and post-metamorphic fish, so it is a step above when it comes to dry feeds. Many breeders have incorporated it into the broodstock diet as well. It's being used in large-scale and small-scale fish hatcheries all over the U.S. A good dry feed also makes it simple to feed out and use in an auto-feeder.

I look forward to following your progress with these guys!

Best,
Chad
Thanks for coming down, I really found it interesting.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Banggais into the 10 gallon with an Aquaclear 70/300 about a week ago and now all but one of the Banggais are vigorously eating the smallest pieces of Reef Frenzy and Spirulina Brine Shrimp.
20180709_114639.jpg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raise Meiacanthus grammistes and nigrlineatus.. the striped fang blenny and it’s cousin, blackline blenny as well as a number of others incl many pair of clowns. I start TDO A 260 a little bit at day 2. It all depends on the species. Experiment. A lot of this is unknown territory. But I can assure u that TDO is the way to go! You’re doing great!

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raise Meiacanthus grammistes and nigrlineatus.. the striped fang blenny and it’s cousin, blackline blenny as well as a number of others incl many pair of clowns. I start TDO A 260 a little bit at day 2. It all depends on the species. Experiment. A lot of this is unknown territory. But I can assure u that TDO is the way to go! You’re doing great!
Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back