OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm liking the scape. Are the rocks completely against the back glass?

Thank you. The majority is actual old school live rock. I didn’t have a plan, I just put it all in and was happy with my first attempt. Initially none of the rock touched the glass at the back, it’s mostly a few millimetres away to maximise space but as I added more coral I realised I was running out of suitable places to put it so I ended up bulking up the top with some caribsea life rock which does touch the glass at the top and a few bits that ended up lower down the back. I can pretty much see from one end to the other down the back though.

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool softie tank! I’ve used sicce pumps. They work and are silent. I used I think Newa? brand which is eheim and it made the floor rattle.

Thank you. I’ve finished stocking so I’m just enjoying watching it all grow now. This Sicce pump hums quite loud, I’ve had it all apart and rinsed out and made sure it’s not touching any of the sides but no joy. When I took it out again I realised that it required the flow restrictor to keep the front of the impeller housing on so I fitted that which made no difference to noise and has made it a pain to get in and out of the chamber. At least it’s not rattling like my eheim pump was.

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. The majority is actual old school live rock. I didn’t have a plan, I just put it all in and was happy with my first attempt. Initially none of the rock touched the glass at the back, it’s mostly a few millimetres away to maximise space but as I added more coral I realised I was running out of suitable places to put it so I ended up bulking up the top with some caribsea life rock which does touch the glass at the top and a few bits that ended up lower down the back. I can pretty much see from one end to the other down the back though.

I was worried about not being able to clean the sand if I put mine too far back there.

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about not being able to clean the sand if I put mine too far back there.

I've browsed numerous forums and until this forum hadn‘t even heard of people cleaning the sand. I don’t touch mine at all. I’ve got various worms living in it and the shrimps are usually digging around too. I honestly don’t know if hoovering the sand is what most people do or not. In some tanks it looks nigh on impossible especially with some of the huge ones. I imagine I’d suck a lot of life out if I did mine. Also I haven’t got fish so there no fish poo involved.

You could always go bare bottom and then there won’t be an issue.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a diamond goby to get behind the rocks. Mine unfortunately thought the grass was greener on the dog bed and made the leap of bad fortune :(

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some Banded Trochus today. Worryingly all of my stomatella snails have vanished. I suspect it might be my peppermint shrimps as I’ve found mention online of them eating that particular species of snail. Yesterday I watched a peppermint pick a baby asterina starfish off a rock and start eating it!

0376ECD5-40EC-4225-80AE-DB98CD374126.jpeg

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering a peppermint. Keep finding aiptasia here and there. Had no idea they eat some snails and asterinas. How many peppermints do you have?

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering a peppermint. Keep finding aiptasia here and there. Had no idea they eat some snails and asterinas. How many peppermints do you have?

I had read they might eat various things but there’s some confusion as to whether people were talking about true peppermint shrimps or if they were mis-sold camel shrimps. Mine are definitely true peppermint shrimps. I’ve got 2 and they are decimating my aiptasias. I guess they can’t survive purely on aips so add stomatella snails and asterina starfish to the confirmed list of things they will eat. The thing with stomatella is that they cannot hide in their shell, they’re more slug than snail so would be easy pickings.

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've already done some good work. My snails don't seem to like the divider. They're also nerites and don't seem to like moving.

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm driving right now, I'll do a search later. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a true peppermint and not?

OP
OP
Wee Mad Arthur

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm driving right now, I'll do a search later. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a true peppermint and not?

From what I can tell camelback shrimps have a pronounced hump between body and tail. Also looking at google images they have a lot of white markings on them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%

Back