Weedy Rhinopias, growth on chin

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My weedy Rhinopias has developed a slight white spot under his chin, now I suspect this is bacterial from rubbing due to transportation possibly.

The tank is midday way through coming out of hyposalinity (currently 1.015sg), can I ask for suggestions on treatment. My view is currently leave it and see if it clears up with the salt level increasing and good live diet.

Can I ask for your suggestions as well please @lion king.

20230419_135106.jpg 20230419_135111.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My weedy Rhinopias has developed a slight white spot under his chin, now I suspect this is bacterial from rubbing due to transportation possibly.

The tank is midday way through coming out of hyposalinity (currently 1.015sg), can I ask for suggestions on treatment. My view is currently leave it and see if it clears up with the salt level increasing and good live diet.

Can I ask for your suggestions as well please @lion king.

20230419_135106.jpg 20230419_135111.jpg
This is a bacterial growth from injury such as netting or a rock. You can treat safely in tank with Ruby Rally Pro or in quarantine with seachem Kanaplex. Assure to provide good water quality using reliable test kits

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bacterial growth from injury such as netting or a rock. You can treat safely in tank with Ruby Rally Pro or in quarantine with seachem Kanaplex. Assure to provide good water quality using reliable test kits
Thanks for the confirmation, I was wondering about UK alternatives as they are both tricky to get hold of over here

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I would say nothing to worry about. I have seen many things like this on the lips of lions as well. Like you said possibly from bag rub and/or bacterial in nature. My remedy for something like this is always optimum water quality and a good diet. Water quality can suffer during hypo.

Imo there is no need for meds in this situation.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation, I was wondering about UK alternatives as they are both tricky to get hold of over here
As Myself and Lion King mentioned, focus on water quality.
Regarding meds, for UK - NT Labs Myxazin or Waterlife acriflavine would be what you want but keep an eye on it for healing. If it becomes infected- these would be the meds

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I would say nothing to worry about. I have seen many things like this on the lips of lions as well. Like you said possibly from bag rub and/or bacterial in nature. My remedy for something like this is always optimum water quality and a good diet. Water quality can suffer during hypo.

Please do not use meds for this situation.
Thanks for the reply, he was very active around the tank initially and I do wonder if he's grazed it somehow.

I will continue with the regular WC to get it back up to 1.020 and continue the feeding of a gutloaded live Mollie twice a week.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Myself and Lion King mentioned, focus on water quality.
Regarding meds, for UK - NT Labs Myxazin or Waterlife acriflavine would be what you want but keep an eye on it for healing. If it becomes infected- these would be the meds
Cheers, there is going to be multiple WCs this week and next to return to the normal SG, this should help stabilise things. I do have a bottle of Waterlife which I have successfully used in the past in my QT setup.

If the worse happens (don't think it will) then I can transfer to my QT and use this for a week if required?

Attachments

• 20230419_143622.jpg
    20230419_143622.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 24

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cheers, there is going to be multiple WCs this week and next to return to the normal SG, this should help stabilise things. I do have a bottle of Waterlife which I have successfully used in the past in my QT setup.

If the worse happens (don't think it will) then I can transfer to my QT and use this for a week if required?
Thats it and yes IF it becomes infected.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these on just about every Rhinopias I've ever had. The primary issue is that these sometimes become infected with fish tuberculosis, Mycobacterium sp. That bacteria is not readily treatable, in fact, I've never been able to treat it.

Here is a radiograph of one of my Rhinopias, you can see the lesion on its lower jaw as some extra calcification:

1681913808312.png

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these on just about every Rhinopias I've ever had. The primary issue is that these sometimes become infected with fish tuberculosis, Mycobacterium sp. That bacteria is not readily treatable, in fact, I've never been able to treat it.

Here is a radiograph of one of my Rhinopias, you can see the lesion on its lower jaw as some extra calcification:

1681913808312.png
That's rather interesting and a fascinating image of the Rhinopias. I guess my options are just hope it doesn't develop into something more and if so then hope it's treatable via usual meds.

From what you are stating Jay would you say it's terminal once it takes hold and is Tuberculosis?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of my lions with what I call the classic "bag rub", it could be caused by a number of things, but does happen during transport, or perhaps shortly after exploring a new tank. I've seen it in a number of new additions. Full blown bacterial infections will rarely happen in a healthy scorp, in good water conditions. Bacterial infections will thrive in poor water conditions and will attack a scorp in poor health. That's why I emphasize good water quality and a live diet, Personally, I have never had to treat this issue. Sometimes it does not completely go away, like a callous or scar tissue forms, but the color will become normal. I have never seen a decrease in lifespan, so I have never seen the issue Jay mentioned.

1681952238684.png

1681952380534.png

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of my lions with what I call the classic "bag rub", it could be caused by a number of things, but does happen during transport, or perhaps shortly after exploring a new tank. I've seen it in a number of new additions. Full blown bacterial infections will rarely happen in a healthy scorp, in good water conditions. Bacterial infections will thrive in poor water conditions and will attack a scorp in poor health. That's why I emphasize good water quality and a live diet, Personally, I have never had to treat this issue. Sometimes it does not completely go away, like a callous or scar tissue forms, but the color will become normal. I have never seen a decrease in lifespan, so I have never seen the issue Jay mentioned.

1681952238684.png

1681952380534.png
Cheers, that's reassuring.

I was thinking about how he acquired this last night and realised that two days ago he tried to eat the net with a Molly in that was been delivered to his face. He latched onto the shrimp net, such was the excitement and I guess has grazed it.

Hopefully with the SG level now returning to normal levels, both skimmers fully working and regular WCs things will not worsen. I am also a fan of ozone on my system which should hopefully help combat ambient bacterial levels in the water.

I noticed in your first picture that it seems almost ulcer like in appearance - I guess he made a full recovery? My one at present just seems like a white tuft so no open sores as of yet.

Thanks for the reassurance, I'll keep up with my gutloaded Mollie feeding and focus on water quality. I honestly think he's brilliant health otherwise so hopefully recovers from this. The lower chin area does seem to be a vulnerable point on most Scorps is what I can take from this.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update on this, he's made a fantastic recovery and the growth has reduced to almost nothing now. I have really focused on good water quality and gut loaded live mollies twice a week.

Attachments

• PXL_20230601_090055519.jpg
    PXL_20230601_090055519.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 23

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back