Weight Limit for Floating Suspension Mount - 48" DX18 AquaticLife with 48" ReefBreeders

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to place my Reefbreeders 48" on my 48” DX18 Hybrid and use the Floating Suspension kit, but however the floating suspension kit is limited to a maximum of 24lbs including Fixture and LED. The drywall anchors I’m using are rated for 75lbs each and each rail has 3, so for the pair that would be 6 drywall anchor that’s rated for 75lbs each anchor.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Want to see if I would have any issues.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is the weight of the combined fixtures
Seems like if its more than 24lbs - it won't work?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unless I'm misunderstanding the question - If the kit can only hold 24 lbs - are you thinking if you anchor it in more places that will help? Not sure why you're using 6 anchors?

OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably about 45lbs?

I think the weight limit is due to only using the screws provided by AquaticLife, but not sure if its the actual strength of the bracket themselves.

OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I'm misunderstanding the question - If the kit can only hold 24 lbs - are you thinking if you anchor it in more places that will help? Not sure why you're using 6 anchors?
Each bracket has 3 anchor points. So for the pair it would be 6 anchor points. My question is the 24lb total weight for the pair based on the support strength of the bracket, or the support strength of the anchor they provided. If its the support strength of the bracket, then doesn't matter what anchor I use, it wouldn't work. If the 24lbs is based on the support strength of the anchor, if I use better anchors, will that help?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Each bracket has 3 anchor points. So for the pair it would be 6 anchor points. My question is the 24lb total weight for the pair based on the support strength of the bracket, or the support strength of the anchor they provided. If its the support strength of the bracket, then doesn't matter what anchor I use, it wouldn't work. If the 24lbs is based on the support strength of the anchor, if I use better anchors, will that help?
I think thats a tech support question - glad you contacted them - from prior experience - vendors don't always answer much on the forum - as compared to calling or emailing tech support

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the weight of the Reefbreeder fixture I would suggest three brackets. The other concern would be dry wall anchors versus attachment to studs. I believe most of the drywall anchors are for a downward pull against the wall, not necessarily for our kit or a shelf. I would double check on how they estimate the weight it can hold.

Have you considered a wood plate or mount along the back of the aquarium that could be mounted into the studs and then the floating suspension attached to the wood plate? Would need to be 18" tall and the width of the aquarium but that would at least get you into some attachment to some of the studs and give you more support.

If you want to contact [email protected] and leave a phone number we can give you a call.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back