Weird clam like thing in my tank ? Help ID ?

IvanReef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello !

I’m brand spankin new to this forum this will be my first post . Hope all is doing well . I have a question in regards to this “thing” that caught my attention in my tank today . I noticed a clam like thing growing on my live rock along with tiny little ones near by . My tank isn’t doing too well because work has taken most of my time but I am slowly bringing everything back . Is the clam like thing is bad ? Is there anything I can do to eliminate it from my tank ? Thanks so much in advance ! I’m super curious to see what the heck it is .

7FB8FF66-392B-4E37-A960-9DFDFB701ECC.jpeg 93F2BA64-B160-4965-AE66-448096A05088.jpeg 64A4F42D-04B3-4968-A39E-3B88EF8905F0.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s known as a bivalve and related to the scallop
They are filter feeders and don’t move and not long lived

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bivalvia is a whole class of animals though. Is there a specific bivalve referred to only as a "bivalve" within the hobby?
3.5 decades- I’ve known them as bivalves.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well yeah, they are bivalves. But so are all clams, mussels, scallops, oysters. So I just find it odd to identify something by class. I don’t want no trouble.
Closest relative as stated would be scallop

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s known as a bivalve and related to the scallop
They are filter feeders and don’t move and not long lived
The one I've had for over 2 years now did not get the memo about not living long. Came in as a hitchhiker on some zoas. It's about 3 times bigger now and I don't feed it anything--ie no filter feeder food. There were 2 at first but one moved(yes moved) to a spot in the tank it liked but got over grown by some bubblegum digi. I've got a thread about it with some pictures on the forum here.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I've had for over 2 years now did not get the memo about not living long. Came in as a hitchhiker on some zoas. It's about 3 times bigger now and I don't feed it anything--ie no filter feeder food. There were 2 at first but one moved(yes moved) to a spot in the tank it liked but got over grown by some bubblegum digi. I've got a thread about it with some pictures on the forum here.
I believe that typically, if it can move it’s a probably a clam or scallop, and if it can’t it’s probably an oyster or mussel. There are some exceptions, and there are some other members of Bivalvia that are none of the four that I mentioned, but I don’t remember what they’re called.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say scallop or oyster. It's hard to tell from the pics. In my reading about bivalves in general (I have a brackish water oyster tank so researched bivalves about nine months ago) this is what I learned about scallops... "Sea scallops have a saucer-shaped shell with scalloped or fluted edges. Unlike clams, mussels, and other bivalve mollusks, the scallop cannot close its shell completely". So I would say if it never closes it's probably a scallop. Oysters alway close at some point. They typically only open to feed or to expel waste. I guess it could be a clam but it's certainly not like the pretty ones people usually buy. :)

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, mine has little blue eyes along the edges of the open part of the shell. If a fish swims by it will shut, other than that it's open all the time. Does that help figure out what it is?
Oh, it's black/brown with smooth edges to the shell--no scalloping.

Last edited:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, mine has little blue eyes along the edges of the open part of the shell. If a fish swims by it will shut, other than that it's open all the time. Does that help figure out what it is?
Based on that description I would say oyster or maybe some type of clam although I haven't seen marine clams that look like that. No matter what it is it's a bivalve so a harmless filter feeder. Most consume phyto that passes over them via the current. These are good hitchhikers. :) Where is it? Your DT, sump, fuge? For reference this is a pic of my brackish water oysters.

BTW: Welcome to the community!

Attachments

• IMG_20211022_225850.jpg
    IMG_20211022_225850.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 66

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google this: Placopecten magellanicus

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back