Weird display of temperature with reef-pi

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 temperature probes connected to the system (using a Robo Tank controller). One of them (labeled Sump) is working just fine. The other one (labeled Display Tank) has worked fine until this morning. Suddenly it's display is weird. When I look at it under the Temperatures tab one graph is off and one is normal. What the heck is going on?

temp display.png temp screen.png

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 temperature probes connected to the system (using a Robo Tank controller). One of them (labeled Sump) is working just fine. The other one (labeled Display Tank) has worked fine until this morning. Suddenly it's display is weird. When I look at it under the Temperatures tab one graph is off and one is normal. What the heck is going on?

temp display.png temp screen.png
That's likely the sensor going bad, -1 is a common reading when that happens, might need another sensor. I believe it's only showing the error on the chart that's updated every read, the other chart has averages or skips some readings to show a larger time frame.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's likely the sensor going bad, -1 is a common reading when that happens, might need another sensor. I believe it's only showing the error on the chart that's updated every read, the other chart has averages or skips some readings to show a larger time frame.

Hmm. The odd part is that when I mouse over the readings all of them look correct. I'll swap out the heater though and see if that helps. Thanks!

Update: I just changed the sensor out about 10 minutes ago and it's still showing all readings correct, but the graph is wrong. Did I get a second bad sensor?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now tried 3 sensors and all of them are giving the same results. @Ranjib do you have any idea why this would be happening? The only issue seems to be the graph. Below is the updated pic. You can see the -1 readings where I changed sensors and yet the graph is still hokey. The second pic shows a mouseover of one of the readings where it's correct, but the graph is messed up.

reefpi.png reefpi2.png

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you didn't get another bad sensor. Some think there's a lot of flaky counterfeit sensors that are prone to noise and moisture can get in the end tube. I've had a sensor that always gave errors when submersed but out of water it was ok. I've had a few people have bad luck with them and got these one, they solved the problem every time.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now tried 3 sensors and all of them are giving the same results. @Ranjib do you have any idea why this would be happening? The only issue seems to be the graph. Below is the updated pic. You can see the -1 readings where I changed sensors and yet the graph is still hokey. The second pic shows a mouseover of one of the readings where it's correct, but the graph is messed up.

reefpi.png reefpi2.png
can you show us the configuration for each sensor ? just want to make sure you are using different probes

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you show us the configuration for each sensor ? just want to make sure you are using different probes

Sure, here you go.

FYI, I decided to try something weird. I reformatted the Pi and reinstalled everything, then set it back up. I couldn't figure out how to wipe the data that was stored, so that was easier lol. Once I did this and set it up as shown in the images it worked okay.

Attachments

• sump_sensor.png
    sump_sensor.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 23
  • dt_sensor.png
    dt_sensor.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 19

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, here you go.

FYI, I decided to try something weird. I reformatted the Pi and reinstalled everything, then set it back up. I couldn't figure out how to wipe the data that was stored, so that was easier lol. Once I did this and set it up as shown in the images it worked okay.
The sensor ID in both those images are the same which would suggest they are showing output from the same sensor.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay..I was exactly suspecting this. Happens to most of us. Glad you got this sorted

I am as well. There's still something not right about the graphing code. I shouldn't have had to wipe the data to fix it when actual data points were present. Overall though, I'm really happy with reef-pi. Freaking amazing job on it! Keep up the great work @Ranjib !

Back