Weird growth on live rock in new tank

Evieeeeee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank that I set up early this year and haven't added much to besides fish. I'm seeing a neon green growth (i assume some sort of algae) and some sort of soft growth that grows in stands. I would appreciate some IDs
1627712405839.png

1627712424877.png

1627712434815.png

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white stuff (lol) is a either a sponge or bacteria, either way it’s harmless. The green stuff is some kind of algae, if it gets out of control or you don’t like it there are many ways to manage or get rid of it, too many to list here, just use the search function.

OP
OP
E

Evieeeeee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white stuff (lol) is a either a sponge or bacteria, either way it’s harmless. The green stuff is some kind of algae, if it gets out of control or you don’t like it there are many ways to manage or get rid of it, too many to list here, just use the search function.
Ty! Was mostly worried about the sponge/baceteria/colony thing. Thanks for the ID!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Certain bacterial infections can reduce oxygen levels in the water.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain bacterial infections can reduce oxygen levels in the water.
Yes, a massive bacterial bloom can lower oxygen levels, but that’s free floating bacteria in the water column (water will become cloudy). This is just a small patch of bacteria on a surface (if it even is bacteria). Nothing to worry about.

Back