Weird hair/fuzz on palys causing them to not open. Help!

mylifeismyown66

FUPA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these zoas for a while and grew them from frags. Only thing I changed this week is I started dosing vitamin c. I did was the brightwell bottle suggested and started with 7 drops for 75g total water volume. I only did it 2 days and stopped because my zoas slowly stopped opening. I did a WC yesterday and they opened more right away, but this morning they were closed again and now after work even more so. Here is what they looked like last week. As you can see its only happening to my sunny ds, utter chaos, and my bowser look alikes. I have other zoas and palys that are fine.

And here is what they look like now. I put the hairy looking crap in the box.

Wondering if its from the vitamin c dosing and theyll just open again or if I should hydrogen peroxide dip. I just did a coral rx dip on the bowser look alike frag. I want to make sure it works before I disturb that whole rock and my flower nems.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they ARE dip them use a QTIP ND LIGHTY BRUSH AGAINST THEM TO MAKE SURE THEY R REMOVED , they do spread fast . if they R that is .

OP
OP
mylifeismyown66

mylifeismyown66

FUPA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im 90% sure theyre not hydroids. Also how they just started right after vitamin c dosing and I only see them on these palys whereas the hydroids tend not to be picky about where they are. Just did a hp dip on the frag so Ill see how that works. I didn't change anything else and all my parameters have been stable and where they need to be for a long time.

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a fungus or a bacteria. Im going to guess bacteria and maybe the vit-c is fueling them

Last edited:
OP
OP
mylifeismyown66

mylifeismyown66

FUPA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hp dip seems to have rid the frag of the hair. Still not opening as it should but Ill keep an eye. If it does work Ill try it on the sunndy ds and utter chaos later on today. Im going to try vit. c again, but at a much lower dose than they suggest. I used to dose it in my frag tank and it seemed to work well, or at the very least no adverse effects.

OP
OP
mylifeismyown66

mylifeismyown66

FUPA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference is anyone else sees this issue, the hp dip did work. The frag is almost opening like normal and I just dipped the large rock of colonies today. Im going to try vitamin c at a much lower dose later this week. Ill update if it comes back after.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope they open up! They're really nice. Sorry I can't contribute, I don't know how to help.

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i have had that in the past. I used a soft bristle tooth brush and carefully cleaned that stuff off. After doing that dip them in some water with a little iodine.

Last edited:

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone figured out what this stuff is and how to treat it?

Not sure what it is, but like OP mentioned H2O2 is very effective. I had a couple frags close up completely and now look good as new after dipping. I've been using 8ml of 12% H2O2 per cup of saltwater for 3 minutes. Hopefully it doesn't keep coming back, this stuff definitely spreads. The strange part is I'm pretty sure I've had these in the tank for close to a year, but I've never seen it growing on any coral until a few weeks ago.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice the same thing on one of the frags. Yesterday was closed all day and this morning noticed the small white hair. Looks almost like bristle. Will dip tomorrow during water change.

20200528_104614_HDR.jpg

Dryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone comes across this via Google like I did: A paly colony I have had hairs/bristles very similar to the original posters. They were on when I got then and never opened fully over time they ended up just staying 80% closed. I did a dip of 26.75 ml tank water, and 4 ml H2O2 (3% strength) for 3 minutes. The colony closed up entirely and was angry for about a day and a half, after 5 days they look better than ever. Just my experience.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back