Weird hair/fuzz on palys causing them to not open. Help!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this:

Zoanthid Threads_010417.jpg

Had this a while back on Sunny D's. I was able to determine that the strands came in pairs and only on larger Zoa types (what we erroneously call 'Palys'). Have no idea what caused the outbreak, but they were easy to brush off and over time they eventually subsided.

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Something like this:

Zoanthid Threads_010417.jpg

Had this a while back on Sunny D's. I was able to determine that the strands came in pairs and only on larger Zoa types (what we erroneously call 'Palys'). Have no idea what caused the outbreak, but they were easy to brush off and over time they eventually subsided.
My zoas only got this when i fed AB+. Must be a filter feeder. It went away when i stopped dosing it.

Dryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange, mine was more like very tiny little bristles. Honestly looked like bristle worm spines.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone comes across this via Google like I did: A paly colony I have had hairs/bristles very similar to the original posters. They were on when I got then and never opened fully over time they ended up just staying 80% closed. I did a dip of 26.75 ml tank water, and 4 ml H2O2 (3% strength) for 3 minutes. The colony closed up entirely and was angry for about a day and a half, after 5 days they look better than ever. Just my experience.
My one gmk has this . Gonna try this and save it

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these zoas for a while and grew them from frags. Only thing I changed this week is I started dosing vitamin c. I did was the brightwell bottle suggested and started with 7 drops for 75g total water volume. I only did it 2 days and stopped because my zoas slowly stopped opening. I did a WC yesterday and they opened more right away, but this morning they were closed again and now after work even more so. Here is what they looked like last week. As you can see its only happening to my sunny ds, utter chaos, and my bowser look alikes. I have other zoas and palys that are fine.

And here is what they look like now. I put the hairy looking crap in the box.

Wondering if its from the vitamin c dosing and theyll just open again or if I should hydrogen peroxide dip. I just did a coral rx dip on the bowser look alike frag. I want to make sure it works before I disturb that whole rock and my flower nems.
I don’t know what it is, but I would say to dip it or try to scrub it off with a brush.

Also, those are Zoanthus, not Palythoa. They have a smooth mesoglea; thick, blunt tentacles; and no capitulary ridges.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back