Weird jellyfish looking thing in bag of copepods

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some copepods online and found these jellyfish like organisms floating in the bags. I believe these may be hydriods, but uncertian and know nothing about them. Could someone please help identify, give information on what they are and what they do, and possibly point me to some scientific articles about them? This is my first encounter and I'm very intrigued by them. However, none of the contents of these bags of pods will be going into my tank because I simply do not trust them for multiple reasons. The owner is sending me new batches to correct the issues though, so that's a positive and we'll see what happens next week.
20220121_132556.jpg

OP
OP
O

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I've been watching these things swim around in the bags for quite a while now and whatever these are seem to be trapping pods inside of them and consuming them. I say this because swims after the a pod cluster and tries to envelop them. Once it gets a could it sinks to the bottom and just stays there and the pods inside of it stop moving.

So now I'm even more worried about the replacements coming depending on how these things reproduce.

Help identifying them would be greatly appreciated.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of hard to tell by the pic. Is it egg shaped and have lines running top to bottom, no tentacles?

OP
OP
O

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of hard to tell by the pic. Is it egg shaped and have lines running top to bottom, no tentacles?
The largest one in the picture is more egg shaped with lines running symmetrically down it kind of like an umbrella. Each one of these lines has little hair like appendages that move in a serpentine motion making it swim or float.

Another one is exactly the same, but round like a ball with an opening at the bottom.

Tried to get another picture of it.

20220121_183357.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a bunch of research I believe I have found the answer to my question. These things are ctenophora, aka comb jelly. They're hermaphrodites and reproduce quite easily. They can be as small as 1mm, which is the size of many adult copepods, thus filtering them out would be a nightmare. Their food source is small crustaceans, like copepods. This is quite frustrating and am now seeking a refund because I do not trust this supplier's product. We shall see how things go and I'll post an update about it all later.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it's big enough to be eating pods, then you could filter them out without too much loss of the pods.
I wouldn't worry about introducing them to the system as something like a comb jelly wouldn't have any long-term chance in a reef tank.
But, if you were trying to start a pod culture, then yeah - I'd agree to discard and not risk it.

OP
OP
O

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it's big enough to be eating pods, then you could filter them out without too much loss of the pods.
I wouldn't worry about introducing them to the system as something like a comb jelly wouldn't have any long-term chance in a reef tank.
But, if you were trying to start a pod culture, then yeah - I'd agree to discard and not risk it.
Maybe, but I just didn't want to risk those dirty bags of pods going into my tank. There were rotifers and arthropods in the bags too along with random bugs and a beetle. Some foreign objects as well that had a filament structure and brittle. I'm sure if anyone saw all that they too would not trust it in a delicate ecosystem when they expected to receive just the species of pods they ordered in fresh saltwater and nothing more. I can even understand a bit of detritus from uneaten algae, but not this. I did receive a refund though, minus shipping, so I see no need to shame the company's name on here; and they thanked me for pointing out their cultures are contaminated, so I'm hoping they're correcting the issues.

I've since placed an order with a company that appears to be reputable and tout "laboratory standards" in all their processes. Being an engineer I greatly respect those that adhere to strict standards like that in order to garuante a quality product.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but I just didn't want to risk those dirty bags of pods going into my tank. There were rotifers and arthropods in the bags too along with random bugs and a beetle. Some foreign objects as well that had a filament structure and brittle. I'm sure if anyone saw all that they too would not trust it in a delicate ecosystem when they expected to receive just the species of pods they ordered in fresh saltwater and nothing more. I can even understand a bit of detritus from uneaten algae, but not this. I did receive a refund though, minus shipping, so I see no need to shame the company's name on here; and they thanked me for pointing out their cultures are contaminated, so I'm hoping they're correcting the issues.

I've since placed an order with a company that appears to be reputable and tout "laboratory standards" in all their processes. Being an engineer I greatly respect those that adhere to strict standards like that in order to garuante a quality product.
Good golly you're lucky you looked in the bag! The stuff you found makes it sound like someone went out to the ocean shoreline with a baggie, filled it with water and shipped it. IMO none of those things should be in a bag of pods (except for the pods you paid for)!

OP
OP
O

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good golly you're lucky you looked in the bag! The stuff you found makes it sound like someone went out to the ocean shoreline with a baggie, filled it with water and shipped it. IMO none of those things should be in a bag of pods (except for the pods you paid for)!
That is almost what it looked like and smelled like to me as well. He did say that they "cultivate in an outdoor greenhouse". I guess if you put a tent over the ocean it would technically be a greenhouse...

There was about 20% dead in the 3 different bags and the owner stated "that is acceptable loss considering how many are in there." Seriously...? 1st off there were hardly any pods in the three 32oz bags I paid for. Secondly, I paid for next day shipping and met the UPS guy at my door at 930am and immediately inspected them. Water temp was 65*F and the box looked pristine. I've had other supplier's boxes come in beat to all heck and the contents be fine. So... no excuses on that.

He also said to "just filter that stuff out with an aquarium net." Bruh, seriously...? No, just no.

That was the point all faith went out the window and I asked for a refund.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is almost what it looked like and smelled like to me as well. He did say that they "cultivate in an outdoor greenhouse". I guess if you put a tent over the ocean it would technically be a greenhouse...

There was about 20% dead in the 3 different bags and the owner stated "that is acceptable loss considering how many are in there." Seriously...? 1st off there were hardly any pods in the three 32oz bags I paid for. Secondly, I paid for next day shipping and met the UPS guy at my door at 930am and immediately inspected them. Water temp was 65*F and the box looked pristine. I've had other supplier's boxes come in beat to all heck and the contents be fine. So... no excuses on that.

He also said to "just filter that stuff out with an aquarium net." Bruh, seriously...? No, just no.

That was the point all faith went out the window and I asked for a refund.
Your comment about a tent over the ocean is hilarious! Almost spit my coffee out with that.

I don't blame you for losing confidence in that place. It sounds like every response was just wrong, especially the filtering reply. What makes them think you would be able to filter the good from the bad considering how many contaminants (unacceptable creatures) were in there? That is the stuff of nightmares (along with four foot worms and tongue eating isopods)! I think you should do a google review as was mentioned above.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back