Weird little red orbs with tails wiggling in water column?

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5-gallon tank I just reset after a crash. There are these little maroon-red creatures with little white tails wiggling through the water column at the moment. Any ideas what they are?

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video doesn’t work. Hope it’s not this:
Odd, the video works on my end. It's definitely not those, these are round (almost comb jelly shaped), with a little white sperm-like tail that wiggles as they move through the water: they aren't on surfaces. They seem to be gone now, probably sucked in by the filter.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know what they are.

Attachments

• larva.jpg
    larva.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 37

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really make it out can see little red dots but thats about it. Have you got anything in there that may have spawned? Just a guess.

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really make it out can see little red dots but thats about it. Have you got anything in there that may have spawned? Just a guess.
What kind of fish do you have? and any pairs?

They look like tadpoles.
The only living things in there is a baby strawberry crab, a few cerith snails, and a couple little hitchhiker bivalves; like I said I just reset the tank and it's only 5 gallons. The only thing I can imagine it could possibly be related to is I recently added a few extra pieces of rock that was from someone else's tank, but it's been dry for months and I had soaked it in freshwater multiple times to eliminate any ammonia leaching.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What ever they are, they are probably dead soon anyhow from lack of food supply. I just know it's the spawn of something. No snail that I am aware of. I don't think anyone knows to be honest.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back