Weird lumpy-mantle snail, nudibranch, and are these a eunicid we care about? KP Aquatics rock.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got myself a 10-lb overnight package, and I've picked up all sorts of neat stuff. I got brittle stars, three cute little pistol shrimp, a crab who'll probably make a good 'fuge monster, some likely-doomed scale worms, and some questionable critters.

Questionable critter one:
zupload.jpg

This weird snail. It's a clumsy thing; I put it on its back, and it stayed there for an hour, apparently stuck, until I realized it was a snail (I'd thought it was a sponge) and flipped it over I know this is a bad photo, but I'm hoping maybe the mantle will make it IDable? It's about a quarter-inch long, and has definite "hello, I eat only one very specific group of organisms for food" vibes to me, based on that color and texture. My best guess is some sort of Simnia snail, based on what species apparently live in Florida.

Questionable critter two:
zupload 2.jpg

I assume that little white nudibranch (on the tube) will starve and I should just euthanize it?

As for the third, I'm pulling out multiple eunicid worms. You can kinda see em in the nudibranch picture. They're a very dark brown leaning to black, with white collars. I assume people have been getting these on KP Aquatics rock for awhile. Anyone left 'em in to see if they eat anything? I've seen pictures of these in pretty large size, which would actually be pretty cool, if they don't eat anything I don't want eaten.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just spotted this. I'll have to watch it tomorrow, see if it opens up in the light. Hoping that's not the tridacnid clam it looks like, because from what I'm reading, tiny baby tridacnids are delicate. This one's about 3/4" long.

A bit more strikingly, I pointed a flashlight at the bin just now and found,
this! 4-5" long, pretty striking to see draped over the rocks. I'm thinking maybe another eunicid species. It's joined all the white-collar ones (and some scale worms, and that snail) in a quart or so of clean water, the "suspicious customers" bin. I should probably move them to something slightly more sustainable.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back