Weird plant or algae growing out of sand bed

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Ocellaris clownfish a fire shrimp, 2 nassarius snails, 3 Margarita snails and a yellow watchman goby and there is some weird plant or algae growing out of my sandbed, does anybody know what it is.
493870EC-F32D-4D0B-BA25-DAC62B726492.jpeg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got it checked out and it’s bryopsis, might be getting a tuxedo to hopefully eat it
not sure a tuxedo would work here - 1) i'm not sure if anything really eats bryopsis as a main food so if you have other types of algae, or coraline in case of a tuxedo, then they will not really touch the bryopsis. I have a tux too and never seen it a dent on my bryopsis population. 2) its on the sandbed. Tux rarely stay in the sand.

so far the only thing that worked for me with bryopsis is H2O2 dip or Vibrant.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure a tuxedo would work here - 1) i'm not sure if anything really eats bryopsis as a main food so if you have other types of algae, or coraline in case of a tuxedo, then they will not really touch the bryopsis. I have a tux too and never seen it a dent on my bryopsis population. 2) its on the sandbed. Tux rarely stay in the sand.

so far the only thing that worked for me with bryopsis is H2O2 dip or Vibrant.
Oh ok, I have heard both that it eats bryopsis and some have said that it doesn’t touch it, I’ll take the chance with a tuxedo, and if it doesn’t I already kinda wanted one anyways so it’s still a win.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, I have heard both that it eats bryopsis and some have said that it doesn’t touch it, I’ll take the chance with a tuxedo, and if it doesn’t I already kinda wanted one anyways so it’s still a win.
Gl!

Yeah tuxedos are awesome! I have a blue one that grew from the size of a quarter to 2 inches now. It does a great job cleaning other types of algae. It will eat a lot of coroline so keep that in mind. Also its always funny seeing it carrying rocks, snails, frags around. Just make sure u glue down anything you don't want it to pick up.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gl!

Yeah tuxedos are awesome! I have a blue one that grew from the size of a quarter to 2 inches now. It does a great job cleaning other types of algae. It will eat a lot of coroline so keep that in mind. Also its always funny seeing it carrying rocks, snails, frags around. Just make sure u glue down anything you don't want it to pick up.
Sick man, I have a fire shrimp I have heard mixed things about tuxedos eating it do you think that would happen?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sick man, I have a fire shrimp I have heard mixed things about tuxedos eating it do you think that would happen?
Shouldn't be a problem. Tho tuxedo urchins are technically omnivores (i think???) I don't think its fast enough to actually catch a shrimp? Esp if its happily munching on algae and coraline. Mine has been a model citizen.

I have heard anecdotal stories of urchins eating shrimp/fish, but my suspicion is that the shrimp/fish is already dead and its just doing its job as a part of the CUC

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is just that spot on the sandbed, you could also just suck it out and see if it comes back. I had patches of bryopsis in my tank and by manually removing them often over the course of a few weeks they just died off and went away before they became a serious problem

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is just that spot on the sandbed, you could also just suck it out and see if it comes back. I had patches of bryopsis in my tank and by manually removing them often over the course of a few weeks they just died off and went away before they became a serious problem
Sweet, how’d u remove them, with a net to get sand or a vacuum type thing?

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedo's are awesome, and I actually had some dwarf blue leg hermits eat some bryopsis. I always try to make sure the urchin is fed once in a while with nori though.
How well did the hermits do at eating the bryopsis, and will they eat other snails, cause I have 2 nassarius.and 3 margarita I think

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, nothing really targets bryopsis, so it’s either manual removal or chemical. I agree with above, manual removal is the first course of action.:)

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, how’d u remove them, with a net to get sand or a vacuum type thing?
For me it was on a rock so I just pinched it and pulled it off. However, I have sucked sand out with my regular hose during a water change. If you have one of the wider tips for the pipe just take it off since they reduce the suction force and just suck out the top .25-.5 inch of sand

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 118 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 60 29.6%
Back