Weird Pods??

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All! This tank is about a month old - stocked with live rock, live sand & some corals from another one of my established tanks. I stocked one jar of Ecopods from Algae Barn probably two weeks ago. The website says the mix has Tigriopus, Tisbe, Apocyclops and Oithona pods.
I have well established pod populations in my other tanks as well, so I thought I’d seen ‘em all. Lol
These look like little spiders though. They don’t scoot around and I have not seen them swimming like the tiny little jellyfish I have seen in one of my other tanks.
Any ideas what these are? I’m hoping they’re just pods and not some weird spider thing I have to get out of the tank.

E9EA978F-501A-4856-9930-3E16E190DC9E.jpeg DC57AD03-8541-464D-8498-F61539945BC3.jpeg 65E4BF88-1D15-4D0B-9D9E-B2174AF5E1CE.jpeg

Corals.com

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are hydroids. Peppermint shrimp will keep those 100% in check! If you leave unaddressed, they will multiply like crazy. Don't really harm anything, just a nuisance to look at more or less!

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those are hydroids. Peppermint shrimp will keep those 100% in check! If you leave unaddressed, they will multiply like crazy. Don't really harm anything, just a nuisance to look at more or less!
Thank you!! I have a peppermint in another tank, so maybe I’ll move him over.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could just leave them be and they will go away on their own. They usually show up in new tanks and once established a bit they disappear.

I set up a anemone / clown tank back in August, it was covered with them and ghost flat worms. I pretty much ignored both and they eventually went away on their own.

I wasn't aware that peppermint shrimp would eat them, as my peppermints don't venture very far from their cave...

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or you could just leave them be and they will go away on their own. They usually show up in new tanks and once established a bit they disappear.

I set up a anemone / clown tank back in August, it was covered with them and ghost flat worms. I pretty much ignored both and they eventually went away on their own.

I wasn't aware that peppermint shrimp would eat them, as my peppermints don't venture very far from their cave...
I have to say, my peppermint shrimp has plenty of personality but has been useless when it comes to killing aiptasia. I’m still willing to give her another chance though... maybe she’d like hydroids better. Haha
Otherwise, the “wait and see” method has always been okay for me too. I prefer to stay out of the tank unless I really need to get in there. Also, my female clown is a straight up demon fish who bites me whenever she can.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, my peppermint shrimp has plenty of personality but has been useless when it comes to killing aiptasia. I’m still willing to give her another chance though... maybe she’d like hydroids better. Haha
Otherwise, the “wait and see” method has always been okay for me too. I prefer to stay out of the tank unless I really need to get in there. Also, my female clown is a straight up demon fish who bites me whenever she can.

Yeah, my peppermints are useless.. I don't have a serious aiptasia issue, but there is one that I'd like to see gone.

My clowns are pussycats.. They tend to hide when I have to stick an arm in the tank.

PXL_20201120_145951585.jpg

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, my peppermints are useless.. I don't have a serious aiptasia issue, but there is one that I'd like to see gone.

My clowns are pussycats.. They tend to hide when I have to stick an arm in the tank.

PXL_20201120_145951585.jpg
They are beautiful & I love that nem too!

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. We just got that one last week. He extends very nicely. About 8 inches. The clowns didn't notice home for at least 5 days. Then Thursday I got a text from the wife while I was at work and they had found him. That's in my mixed reef tank.

These guys are in my nem/clown tank.

PXL_20201024_182731378.jpg

For reference, the rocks is a bit larger than a football.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back