Weird worm? What the bleep is this?

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! This little whatever started poking out of an empty shell (what background pics). Maybe about an inch or 1-1/2" long. I pulled the shell out and there may be a couple of other small ones in there, too (pink background pic). There's more on/in some rock work - pulled one off; missed another one. It doesn't look like a bristle worm to me. What is it and do I need to panic?

IMG_1036.jpg IMG_1041.jpg IMG_1042.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all! This little whatever started poking out of an empty shell (what background pics). Maybe about an inch or 1-1/2" long. I pulled the shell out and there may be a couple of other small ones in there, too (pink background pic). There's more on/in some rock work - pulled one off; missed another one. It doesn't look like a bristle worm to me. What is it and do I need to panic?

IMG_1036.jpg IMG_1041.jpg IMG_1042.jpg
very hard to i.d. on a paper towel but looks like a juvenile peanut worm - Not positive

OP
OP
AGWL

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see it swimming around, or was it staying in one spot?
That one came out of an empty shell that was one the substrate. I've also seen one on the glass and one (maybe the same one) on a rock, very obviously eating something. It disappeared when I tried to grab it. They (it?) seems to be maybe an inch long or slightly more and very thin. They curl up in a coil if you mess with them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a dead worm for sure. I would leave them be. Great majority of these worms are beneficial to the tank. Only once in a very long while there is a bad one. These animals are what cause "live sand" and "live rock" are great and essential in keeping a good, stable reef aquarium. I have worms that are 18+ inches in my tank.

OP
OP
AGWL

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, whatever these are, I'm not stressing about it. They aren't as icky to me as bristle worms, for some reason. Was really just curious what they are and if I needed to worry. I've got detritus worms in my freshwater tanks, so no big deal as long as they're not harmful.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one came out of an empty shell that was one the substrate. I've also seen one on the glass and one (maybe the same one) on a rock, very obviously eating something. It disappeared when I tried to grab it. They (it?) seems to be maybe an inch long or slightly more and very thin. They curl up in a coil if you mess with them.
Lightning fast? Covered in goo when you fish them out?

Did it look like this in water?
Fulgida2.jpg
Fulgida3.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back