Welcome all from Hong Kong to the Hong Kong Reef Club!

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A damsel, 2 clowns, and the angel in 4g! I have mixed feelings about this. They do look healthy, but... I'm not here to judge, but that is a heck of a view for the footprint.
I agree. It can be done. But for how long? I wouldn’t personally do this.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a LFS @Katrina71 - check out all these sun corals! Going to be shipped to the US. (And probably marked up 10,000%) ;Facepalm Freshly harvested from local waters.

8BDF8989-D551-49C3-97F0-0EDB0DCCC843.jpeg

A4A33BDD-2B39-41A4-B12F-0BC4D3223BF5.jpeg

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you in HK by any chance. Maybe you can share some local info on good retailers if your around [emoji16]

There are a few proffesional coral retailers in HK, but they are very expensive.
I personally don't buy from them, because my fishes will eat them alive, can't afford too expensive food.

But there is none good fish retailers in HK.
All of them operate like distributors.
Fish come in and sold as quick as possible in a few days.
All there system has ich and other deceases.
Always quarantine fish.
Or try to buy fish that are still in it's unopened shipping bag.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few proffesional coral retailers in HK, but they are very expensive.
I personally don't buy from them, because my fishes will eat them alive, can't afford too expensive food.

But there is none good fish retailers in HK.
All of them operate like distributors.
Fish come in and sold as quick as possible in a few days.
All there system has ich and other deceases.
Always quarantine fish.
Or try to buy fish that are still in it's unopened shipping bag.
Quite true. They keep them with the intent of getting rid of them as fast as they can until the next shipment comes in. They treat coral this way as well.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice filefish. Beautiful fish all around. Thanks for sharing.

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the filefish a few months now.
He is fat and healthy, he eats almost everything I put in the tank.
Hope I can keep him long-term successfully.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the filefish a few months now.
He is fat and healthy, he eats almost everything I put in the tank.
Hope I can keep him long-term successfully.
Welcome to the Hong Kong Reef club buddy [emoji847]. Your absolutely correct about the LFS practices here in HK. Almost every system has ick or some other deasese.

I recently took a walk around fish Street and I ended up in a shop on the 2nd floor of a building, found a little shop there and watched how they work for about 20 min. I'll have to find out the name of this shop because I was blown away by how much care they showed when handling fish.

A customer bought a few fish and I watched as he carefully collected that fish in a net, let the net rest on the tank rim and put the bag under the water to collect the fish. No crazy tipping of the fish from a jug into the bag or anything. Very gentle, the fish never left the water for a second.

Comming from the aquarium industry in the UK I can say I'd be happy to shop there again. To add to that each tank was independent of each other and had its own skimmer. So any deasese would be very contained. Only 2 coral tanks unfortunately but some nice pieces.

On another note, I remember your keeping mainly fish now as your butterfly and angel made sure of that. I have a pearlscale butterfly and a pinstripe butterfly in QT at the moment, my tank is a reef and I've decided not to take the chance lol. So if you would like to give then a nice home your welcome to have them. Both about 3" in size. Currently eating frozen and seaweed. Haven't treated them as no signs of any infection. Just observation. If you would like to take them PM me and we can arrange. Here s couple of pics of them.
20190713_101553.jpeg
20190709_075618.jpeg

Last edited:

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm intetested.
My only concern is they are a bit too big for my powderblue to leave them alone.
Anything bigger than 2 inches he try to kill them.
Since your fishes are eating, I'm very tempted and wanna take the chance.
Keep them in the acclamation box first before release the fish.
Are you sure they are 3 inches, they looks smaller to me.
The smaller the better for my situation.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm intetested.
My only concern is they are a bit too big for my powderblue to leave them alone.
Anything bigger than 2 inches he try to kill them.
Since your fishes are eating, I'm very tempted and wanna take the chance.
Keep them in the acclamation box first before release the fish.
Are you sure they are 3 inches, they looks smaller to me.
The smaller the better for my situation.

Hi Fang. Your absolutely right. My apologies I should have typed 2". Little typo there. They are both about the same size, the pearscale is eating anything that goes in the tank, the pinstripe so far seems more interested in the seaweed. I'm in yuen long if your able to collect them I'm off work Monday and Tuesday next week. Let me know. I have had them for about 10 days now and so far they are all clean.

Fla04gbf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone and thx scott for inviting me. I have only been in the SW hobby for just over a year. Current I have a 26g nano just over a month old. I would be very interest to meet other reefers to grow this hobby together, to trade corals and to learn more about reefing!

Fla04gbf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Cool. Lohu is not far from HK. But goodness that’s expensive. We have some coral dealers here we can get direct and it’s much cheaper. This is part of a pack of zoas (4 types). Only $200 HKD. Someone in our reef club snatched these up pretty quickly.

0C41789A-8194-4CA9-ADE4-C23A0458CF15.jpeg
i am in love with this Zoa . What’s the name of it? Universe or something...

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

i am in love with this Zoa . What’s the name of it? Universe or something...
Nice to have you Frank. We should meet at fish street sometime to check out the shops. Quite a few people from our group meet up there weekly. I’m almost always there after work. That zoa is a galaxy by the way.

Fla04gbf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to have you Frank. We should meet at fish street sometime to check out the shops. Quite a few people from our group meet up there weekly. I’m almost always there after work. That zoa is a galaxy by the way.
That sounds a great idea. I also visit the fish street sometimes after work. But not so much recently since i need to stop adding new things and get my tank as stable and maintenance free because i go on holiday on the 18th . Maybe sometime after new year i will definitely want to check out some of the shops to see what they’ve got. Have you been to the one called Skyland? They have some very nice fungia coral from Australia that i wanted to buy but they are quite expensive. 1000$+. See pic
84EBD8ED-E914-42F5-A7CA-808AB7EDA40B.png

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds a great idea. I also visit the fish street sometimes after work. But not so much recently since i need to stop adding new things and get my tank as stable and maintenance free because i go on holiday on the 18th . Maybe sometime after new year i will definitely want to check out some of the shops to see what they’ve got. Have you been to the one called Skyland? They have some very nice fungia coral from Australia that i wanted to buy but they are quite expensive. 1000$+. See pic
Those are beautiful plates. But my peppermint shrimp love to pick at them...

Any time you want to meet up, let me know. I’m always there.

Fla04gbf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are beautiful plates. But my peppermint shrimp love to pick at them...

Any time you want to meet up, let me know. I’m always there.
oh yes Scott, peppermint can be a bit if a pain sometimes. I had one before together with a cleaner shrimp and it was impossible to feed anything else in the small tank. I guess if you have a big tank it maybe less if a problem .
thank for the name of the Zoa. Galaxy, i am in love with it already . Will give you a shout next time i head out there, probably after new year .

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back