Welcome all from Hong Kong to the Hong Kong Reef Club!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is a now defunct HK reef club that actually met up in person and had great tanks. I hope that there are more of you out there that hope to meet up, swap frags, talk and just have fun. We are a group that has a great following and welcome any reefers whether old or new. Posting one of my favourite tanks in Hong Kong courtesy of Aquatech

A06E8125-0584-4032-924D-F3E0FA9FDB63.jpeg

6C5F2E32-3802-47F0-8380-4F06413F9E1E.jpeg

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread should read: Welcome all from Hong Kong to the Hong Kong Reef Club.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day to all you HK reefers out there [emoji16]. I'll throw my tank in the mix. Its just 6 weeks old but was a transfer from a nono. Apart from the tank and stand it's pretty much all diy.

I'm from London UK. Been in the hobby for about 20 odd years but was tankless for around 3 since moving to HK. Got into SW from my very first job at 16 years old as an aquarium manager lol. Moved around the industry a little from public aquariums to aquarium design companies. And here I am with my 110g new reef hoping to create something nice.

So, welcome to the club. We certainly need one in HK since there are a good number of amazing tanks out here from what I can see on social media so let's grow this club so we can share and grow our passion together. Who knows maybe we can even get some tank tours going in future[emoji16].

Here's a few shots of my baby.
20190625_133054.jpeg
1561780801815.jpeg

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day to all you HK reefers out there [emoji16]. I'll throw my tank in the mix. Its just 6 weeks old but was a transfer from a nono. Apart from the tank and stand it's pretty much all diy.

I'm from London UK. Been in the hobby for about 20 odd years but was tankless for around 3 since moving to HK. Got into SW from my very first job at 16 years old as an aquarium manager lol. Moved around the industry a little from public aquariums to aquarium design companies. And here I am with my 110g new reef hoping to create something nice.

So, welcome to the club. We certainly need one in HK since there are a good number of amazing tanks out here from what I can see on social media so let's grow this club so we can share and grow our passion together. Who knows maybe we can even get some tank tours going in future[emoji16].

Here's a few shots of my baby.
20190625_133054.jpeg
1561780801815.jpeg
That nano was stuffed with corals. But after you threw them in your 110, it looks bare. Big upgrade!

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nano was stuffed with corals. But after you threw them in your 110, it looks bare. Big upgrade!
Slightly yes. And I'd forgotten how much easier water paramiters are to maintain in larger tanks. Already seeing the difference. So much easier lol

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
No longer considered as reefer anymore, my angelfish and butterflyfish ate 90% of my corals.
jx

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to have you in. We’ve got a larger following outside of R2R. Just trying to get them to join here as well. :D

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
No longer considered as reefer anymore, my angelfish and butterflyfish ate 90% of my corals.
jx

[emoji44]. Well you've got the experience at least [emoji4] and a good reason to go out and buy new corals now. What fate did the angel and butterfly meet [emoji56]

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

just across the boarder in Mainland China
ScottR kindly sent me an invite to join you ( as I am a HK Neighbor)
Welcome aboard. Nice to have you with us. We do have 1 rule here though. We like to see all members tanks [emoji23]. If you have one of course [emoji3]

stevewright1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard. Nice to have you with us. We do have 1 rule here though. We like to see all members tanks [emoji23]. If you have one of course [emoji3]
Thanks ylreefer
I do have a tank, but its only been set up 19 days so far and had rocks, sand, and not much else as yet
once it is better populated with mostly soft corals and LPS , Ill certainly post an image in here

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ylreefer
I do have a tank, but its only been set up 19 days so far and had rocks, sand, and not much else as yet
once it is better populated with mostly soft corals and LPS , Ill certainly post an image in here
Are there any good shops in Shenzhen? For corals and/or fish?

stevewright1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any good shops in Shenzhen? For corals and/or fish?

Hi Scott
There is a couple of good ones near Lohu - HongFu Wallmart Area ( down the steps close to the mentioned Supermarket )
this has about 10 or 12 shops on it all selling aquarium related product/ fish etc - but most are mainly freshwater
one of the shops is a Red Sea distributor and has the AIO set ups on display . They also have the best selection of designer corals with some very nice LPS corals and Zoanthids - Price is crazy compared to the other shops - example frag plug with 3 purple fringe green center Zoanthids = 600 rmb [currently 6.8 rmb = I USD , thus that plug with 3 Zoas has a value of 88 USD
another shop 2 doors away, small rock, small colony about 30 polyps of Red fringe/ orange center Zoas, only 40 rmb (5.8 USD)

the best area for saltwater tank related product is Gaungzhou Fangcun area with an Aquarium import market place with over 100 shops/ stalls etc and this is where I will go when selecting live stock as they have much more variety and thus choice

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott
There is a couple of good ones near Lohu - HongFu Wallmart Area ( down the steps close to the mentioned Supermarket )
this has about 10 or 12 shops on it all selling aquarium related product/ fish etc - but most are mainly freshwater
one of the shops is a Red Sea distributor and has the AIO set ups on display . They also have the best selection of designer corals with some very nice LPS corals and Zoanthids - Price is crazy compared to the other shops - example frag plug with 3 purple fringe green center Zoanthids = 600 rmb [currently 6.8 rmb = I USD , thus that plug with 3 Zoas has a value of 88 USD
another shop 2 doors away, small rock, small colony about 30 polyps of Red fringe/ orange center Zoas, only 40 rmb (5.8 USD)

the best area for saltwater tank related product is Gaungzhou Fangcun area with an Aquarium import market place with over 100 shops/ stalls etc and this is where I will go when selecting live stock as they have much more variety and thus choice
Cool. Lohu is not far from HK. But goodness that’s expensive. We have some coral dealers here we can get direct and it’s much cheaper. This is part of a pack of zoas (4 types). Only $200 HKD. Someone in our reef club snatched these up pretty quickly.

0C41789A-8194-4CA9-ADE4-C23A0458CF15.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd love to see some pics of lfs there. Curious about prices too. I'm a huge fan of the pico and micro tanks as well.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see some pics of lfs there. Curious about prices too. I'm a huge fan of the pico and micro tanks as well.
Usually they won’t let us take pics... but I do anyway. :cool: I’ll get some pics next time. So interesting things sometimes. I see new fish coming in everyday. The quality of corals is hit or miss unfortunately. Super cheap torch and hammers generally. The prices of torch I see online are crazy.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ylreefer
Oh the good old days of waiting [emoji23]. Well time is what makes all things worth it in this hobby. I recently closed down my nano of 6 months that was, pretty full and upgraded to a 132g reef, which now looks empty lol. Some why to go but as ScottR says it's hit or miss here with quality Vs price. Especially since the indo ban, live stock has definitely taken a step back, although I have heard a rumour that the an might, and I say might with a pinch of salt, be lifted in Aug this year
But let's see. Here's a couple of pics of what I had and what I now have. Enjoy.
20190317_171144~4.jpeg
20190625_133020.jpeg

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Katrina. Welcome, ScottR maks a good point of them not liking photos taken, this picture shows why i guess. Here's a pico 4g for you with a 5" Bicolour angel [emoji85] we will try to get some more pics next time either of us are there. As for pricing aquarium goods are way cheaper than they are in the UK. unfortunately not many of the local shops here have online sites to browse, it's all pretty much come and see lol
20190707_164601~2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Katrina. Welcome, ScottR maks a good point of them not liking photos taken, this picture shows why i guess. Here's a pico 4g for you with a 5" Bicolour angel [emoji85] we will try to get some more pics next time either of us are there. As for pricing aquarium goods are way cheaper than they are in the UK. unfortunately not many of the local shops here have online sites to browse, it's all pretty much come and see lol
20190707_164601~2.jpeg
It looks like there’s a damsel hiding in the back corner too.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A damsel, 2 clowns, and the angel in 4g! I have mixed feelings about this. They do look healthy, but... I'm not here to judge, but that is a heck of a view for the footprint.

Back