Welcome all from Hong Kong to the Hong Kong Reef Club!

HenryL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I'm a new reefer from Hong Kong :)
I'm starting my own tank and would like to have some feedbacks / advises.
Here's a link to my thread:

DmitriP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is a now defunct HK reef club that actually met up in person and had great tanks. I hope that there are more of you out there that hope to meet up, swap frags, talk and just have fun. We are a group that has a great following and welcome any reefers whether old or new. Posting one of my favourite tanks in Hong Kong courtesy of Aquatech

A06E8125-0584-4032-924D-F3E0FA9FDB63.jpeg

6C5F2E32-3802-47F0-8380-4F06413F9E1E.jpeg
Hi ScottR; I live in Hong Kong and am new to this forum - great idea to have one btw!
I am wondering if you know what happened to this Aquatech shop in Sheung Wan? I am looking to set up/reboot a new reef tank and used to shop there before, but looks like they've closed down recently. Pity as it was a nice little operation.

On a related note does anyone know where to buy copepods for the tank in Hong Kong? I went to take a look at Fish Street but no luck ... Thank you!

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ScottR; I live in Hong Kong and am new to this forum - great idea to have one btw!
I am wondering if you know what happened to this Aquatech shop in Sheung Wan? I am looking to set up/reboot a new reef tank and used to shop there before, but looks like they've closed down recently. Pity as it was a nice little operation.

On a related note does anyone know where to buy copepods for the tank in Hong Kong? I went to take a look at Fish Street but no luck ... Thank you!
He closed down and moved his office to wan chai. He now only services tanks. I have his number if you want to get in contact with him. He’s a nice guy.

Phi1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi everyone! I'm from Hong Kong and is also new to the saltwater community (Was a freshwater scrub), great to see that there's actually a reef club here! Just got my 5 gallon nano reef set up for less than a month, so I'm sorry that I don't have any pics to post here (Will post some after I've got some corals in)

For copepods, I haven't seen any shop that sells them but luckily I've got some hitchhiked onto the live rocks that I bought from a second-floor shop called 新世界水族 (near the M+ hotel), so maybe you might need to test out your luck.

Once again I'm happy to meet you all, looking forward to talking SW with you all!

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm from Hong Kong and is also new to the saltwater community (Was a freshwater scrub), great to see that there's actually a reef club here! Just got my 5 gallon nano reef set up for less than a month, so I'm sorry that I don't have any pics to post here (Will post some after I've got some corals in)

For copepods, I haven't seen any shop that sells them but luckily I've got some hitchhiked onto the live rocks that I bought from a second-floor shop called 新世界水族 (near the M+ hotel), so maybe you might need to test out your luck.

Once again I'm happy to meet you all, looking forward to talking SW with you all!
Welcome to the club! @ylreefer ~ come say hi.
Unfortunately pods cants be purchased in HK. We have some guys in our local group that offer them up for free from their own tanks. But they hitchhike in on my live rock. Usually if you get chaeto, they’ll come in on that too but I guess it’s hard for a 5g nano.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi dimitri and welcome to our HK reef club. Nice to have you on board . This is a rather new club and we are still growing as you can see with our what'sapp grou, hopefully we will get them all on here later so we can share and learn from the rest of the world to.

I do hope you find this ckud helpful, lots of nice chaps and ladies here. I fact one of our best tanks belongs to Mango who's in the group.

Looking forward to meeting everyone for a frag swap at some point. When were all allowed to gather again we are planning a bbq frag swap. Watch this space.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and girls. Been a long time since I posted so I thought I'd just share something.

Well, no more reef tank . But it's not all bad news thankfully .

Work demands more time and thus I have had to give up the corals, during a 4 week period of not being able to see the tank I lost a few prize pieces, my dosing containers ran dry and all hell broke lose lol. (so to speak)

On that note I have decided to go FOT, which I thought about a few times before but never could give up the corals. Thankfully they have been sold to a new home where they are going to be very happy once they settle in .

Now the goods news is I can keep some of the larger fish that I had always wanted before like angles and butterfly fish, maybe a trigger or two. The better news is that tank actually looks OK and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. I can honestly say I don't regret the decision at all.

I've managed to remove quiet a bit of equipment to which Is a bonus as I can sell that off and use the cash for the fish lol.

So I managed to set up a 30g QT tank (cos you don't ever put a fish in the main display that hasn't gone through 2 weeks of observation and/or treatment) and got a blue faced angel which is a beautiful looking fish. If anyone would like more information or help on QT please message here or myself or Scott R.

Hopefully the tank we turn out as expected and I'll be sure to pay updates of any new additions.

I would pile to take this opportunity to also share that HKRC will have some very exciting news coming shortly in the shape of avenue space here in Hong Kong wjere we shall hole regularly get togethers, BBQnights and frag swap events. As well as some voluntary work and educational talks so what this space for some updates .

Now here is a few pics cos we all haha reading of that's nothing good to look at when we teach the end .

20211102_203028.jpg 20211102_203150.jpg 20211102_193906.jpg 20211029_225753.jpg

Nman

Coast Line
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and girls. Been a long time since I posted so I thought I'd just share something.

Well, no more reef tank . But it's not all bad news thankfully .

Work demands more time and thus I have had to give up the corals, during a 4 week period of not being able to see the tank I lost a few prize pieces, my dosing containers ran dry and all hell broke lose lol. (so to speak)

On that note I have decided to go FOT, which I thought about a few times before but never could give up the corals. Thankfully they have been sold to a new home where they are going to be very happy once they settle in .

Now the goods news is I can keep some of the larger fish that I had always wanted before like angles and butterfly fish, maybe a trigger or two. The better news is that tank actually looks OK and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. I can honestly say I don't regret the decision at all.

I've managed to remove quiet a bit of equipment to which Is a bonus as I can sell that off and use the cash for the fish lol.

So I managed to set up a 30g QT tank (cos you don't ever put a fish in the main display that hasn't gone through 2 weeks of observation and/or treatment) and got a blue faced angel which is a beautiful looking fish. If anyone would like more information or help on QT please message here or myself or Scott R.

Hopefully the tank we turn out as expected and I'll be sure to pay updates of any new additions.

I would pile to take this opportunity to also share that HKRC will have some very exciting news coming shortly in the shape of avenue space here in Hong Kong wjere we shall hole regularly get togethers, BBQnights and frag swap events. As well as some voluntary work and educational talks so what this space for some updates .

Now here is a few pics cos we all haha reading of that's nothing good to look at when we teach the end .

20211102_203028.jpg 20211102_203150.jpg 20211102_193906.jpg 20211029_225753.jpg
That a stunning fish and your tank looks brilliant. Anyway I was after a bit of info is there many people out there in Hong Kong doing native tanks from coastal areas if so we would love to see them . This is a link to our group you have to join to post thanks again nmanhttps://www.reef2reef.com/forums/rock-pool-reef-keepers.1450/

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time reefer in hk, been in and out of interest and basically did the bare minimum to keep my tank for the last 6-7 years. That is until my tank of 10+ years sprung a leak and scrambled to buy a new tank right away. Went with a Waterbox tank since I always liked how they looked and new Aqua Emporium had the size I want in stock. This kind of kick started my interest again and started to TRY and keep up with the maintenance and care for my corals.

Right now i'm battling with keeping parameters stable right now. Was dosing 3 part (calc alk mag) previously but was so fed up in refilling my tiny 5L containers and mixing those 3 parts on a weekly bases so decided to try Kalk dosing and supplementing Mag and other trace elements weekly.

Heres what my tank looks like a month or 2 after it was setup
1700708233827.png

1700708501473.png

Heres what it looks like beginning of the month. Slacked off on cleaning the glass and pump. Sold off a lot of the frogspawn I have. Still have a bunch left that i need to put back on the market.

1700708292483.png
Im Looking in offloading that green SPS colony on the right to make room for more SPS

Back