Welcome to all of you from the Hong Kong Reef Club!!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi to all of you from the Hong Kong Reef Club! R2R is happy to host you guys and provide you with your own local reef club forum! Please come in and take a look around. This forum is new, but we hope it won't be long before you guys fill it with all kinds of exciting content for your local club. At R2R, we love local clubs, and we are for you guys!

If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to reach out to us. Team R2R is happy to help in any way that we can.

Daniel
Team R2R

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome everyone! Let’s see some of those tanks! I’d love to know how your practices differ from ours in the states! Welcome all! :)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! We’re some crazy reefers here. If I could share all of the cool corals and the cheap prices we get them at, you’d all be jealous.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m inviting all of my reef club members over. Happy to see some new faces join us!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not from Hong Kong [emoji1125] But i feel the need to welcome you all
So welcome HK reef club
You’re welcome to Hong Kong anytime. I’ve got a couch and some frags. :D

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have shoes, will travel?

None that would last 8045 miles

GPS also has no route
Ohh well
Some day ill go there and visit china as well idd love to see all the coral shops etc maybe even make a video of it
0aef02293d57c32b8daca15dabd03141.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None that would last 8045 miles

GPS also has no route
Ohh well
Some day ill go there and visit china as well idd love to see all the coral shops etc maybe even make a video of it
0aef02293d57c32b8daca15dabd03141.jpg
Cool! We have a street, 2 blocks, of fish and coral shops. FW and SW. it’s pretty neat. Every once in awhile, I’ll see a coral that I have never seen before and my jaw drops. Worth a gander when you’re in town.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome everyone! Let’s see some of those tanks! I’d love to know how your practices differ from ours in the states! Welcome all! :)
Thank you kindly [emoji16]. I'll be sure to take some photos of our LFS's displays and post a few here next time I go down. Have to be sneaky about it though, most shops have a no photo policy here lol.

One thing I can tell you which I'm sure is different to your practices is that most of the LFS use toilet water here for their tanks [emoji15]. Yep I said it. Toilet water.

Our flushing water in hong Kong is ocean water. How its treated is news to me but it definatly has salt in it from what I've tested 1.017. I imagine different areas have a slightly different salinity. Not sure if I'd be comfortable with using it but hey, each to his own. One shop I did have this conversation with said he uses 3 RO housing filters with pre filter and 2 carbon blocks in them, No Membrane obviously. I assume he then adds salt to the correct salinity.

Here's a pic of 1 local coral dealer doing a 100% water change

And another tank that gets a 100% water change with every flush. ....... Ok this one was a joke [emoji23]
IMG-20190617-WA0050.jpeg
IMG-20190629-WA0024.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you kindly [emoji16]. I'll be sure to take some photos of our LFS's displays and post a few here next time I go down. Have to be sneaky about it though, most shops have a no photo policy here lol.

One thing I can tell you which I'm sure is different to your practices is that most of the LFS use toilet water here for their tanks [emoji15]. Yep I said it. Toilet water.

Our flushing water in hong Kong is ocean water. How its treated is news to me but it definatly has salt in it from what I've tested 1.017. I imagine different areas have a slightly different salinity. Not sure if I'd be comfortable with using it but hey, each to his own. One shop I did have this conversation with said he uses 3 RO housing filters with pre filter and 2 carbon blocks in them, No Membrane obviously. I assume he then adds salt to the correct salinity.

Here's a pic of 1 local coral dealer doing a 100% water change

And another tank that gets a 100% water change with every flush. ....... Ok this one was a joke [emoji23]
IMG-20190617-WA0050.jpeg
IMG-20190629-WA0024.jpeg
Hong Kong toilet water... free saltwater ;Hilarious

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm sure you don't wanna know the majority of reefers practices here in HK.
You will get upset and angry.
jx

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you don't wanna know the majority of reefers practices here in HK.
You will get upset and angry.
jx
Doubtful, not a lot angers me ;)

dio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hong kong reefers. I'll be coming back to HK for a month , any cool reefing places I should be checking out?

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Hong kong reefers. I'll be coming back to HK for a month , any cool reefing places I should be checking out?
There are plenty of cool reef specific aquarium shops and fish stores in HK. Mostly located in Mong Kok Goldfish Street. Most of the "cool" reef specific shops are inside various apartment buildings on the street so they arent as easy to spot or even get to if you dont know which doorbell to press.

Here are some of the ones I know/frequent in Mong Kok

This is another place that i would go if they have new shipment, but not in Mong Kok area

realj0y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all of you from the Hong Kong Reef Club! R2R is happy to host you guys and provide you with your own local reef club forum! Please come in and take a look around. This forum is new, but we hope it won't be long before you guys fill it with all kinds of exciting content for your local club. At R2R, we love local clubs, and we are for you guys!

If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to reach out to us. Team R2R is happy to help in any way that we can.

Daniel
Team R2R

realj0y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel. I would love ur help. My friend has been lovingly caring for her reef for over 20 years but is leaving Hk. I would love to find a new home for her sea life. Can u help me

Daniel
Team R2R

Attachments

• 7D3C9934-7939-474A-B89A-E2CBEF8CC0A6.jpeg
    7D3C9934-7939-474A-B89A-E2CBEF8CC0A6.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1588.MOV
    7.1 MB
  • D86225D5-3BF0-4949-A479-F528BD6C2E32.jpeg
    D86225D5-3BF0-4949-A479-F528BD6C2E32.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 16

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back