New corals added - Welcome to my private island! Enjoy your stay :)

AnneO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the aquascape you did with your son a lot but I would also consider option one, especially if you are going to take off the black backing / paint the back blue as I did, because a gap in the middle will leave the overflow box in plain sight. It doesn't matter if you leave it black I guess. I chose my aquascape to sort of hide one side of the overflow box

IMG_5338.jpg

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the aquascape you did with your son a lot but I would also consider option one, especially if you are going to take off the black backing / paint the back blue as I did, because a gap in the middle will leave the overflow box in plain sight. It doesn't matter if you leave it black I guess. I chose my aquascape to sort of hide one side of the overflow box

IMG_5338.jpg

I did go with the aquascape that me and my son build. It was a father and son bonding time after all. :)

I am still thinking whether I want to remove the black backing or not. I like it transparent but also am worried if I don’t like seeing the black in the middle. I don’t know. Maybe I should just leave it black. Question for you, when you peeled yours off, did you also peel the area behind the overflow box? If you did, that means you can see the piping, yes?

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 = dropped 65 drops of Dr Tim’s ammonia (one and only was mixed in the previous day). I also use caribsea purple liferocks.

Day 2 = ammonia <15mg/L (ppm) Salifert
Nitrate = 25 mg/L (ppm) Salifert
Nitrite = don’t have test kit for it

tomorrow I will drop another 65 drops of ammonia

AnneO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did go with the aquascape that me and my son build. It was a father and son bonding time after all. :)

I am still thinking whether I want to remove the black backing or not. I like it transparent but also am worried if I don’t like seeing the black in the middle. I don’t know. Maybe I should just leave it black. Question for you, when you peeled yours off, did you also peel the area behind the overflow box? If you did, that means you can see the piping, yes?
The overflow box has black tinted glass so even though I peeled off the whole thing it's still black from the front. If you meant from the back yes the piping was visible

-- sorry I reread your post and that IS what you meant :) and just one more thought. I was surprised how much of the scape was visually gone when I added the gravel. So raising everything is a good idea if you want it to look just so when its done

Last edited:
OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day #3
ammonia <15mg/L (ppm) Salifert
Nitrate = 2.5mg/L (ppm) Salifert
Added another 65 drops of ammonia.

It is weird that ammonia is the same and the nitrate dropped. Is this normal?

Maokin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day #3
ammonia <15mg/L (ppm) Salifert
Nitrate = 2.5mg/L (ppm) Salifert
Added another 65 drops of ammonia.

It is weird that ammonia is the same and the nitrate dropped. Is this normal?
This your first tank? Takes a while to get testing down. Check on YouTube for video instructions worked for me. In doubt run the test twice and check expiration date on them.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This your first tank? Takes a while to get testing down. Check on YouTube for video instructions worked for me. In doubt run the test twice and check expiration date on them.
Not first tank. I had one 4 years ago and used Exact Idip.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed. Fish will still be fine if added but I won’t participate in non seneye stuck cycle threads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread has been nominated for insured start cycle lol as of Friday May 8th 2020

:) bump

Lol what does it mean? Should I continue to wait until 2 weeks up and then do 10% water change? I am not getting my fish in the tank for at least 3 weeks. Should I continue to dose ammonia every 2 days to feed the bacteria?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope it means if you added them right now after a decent water change they'd live. you do not have to feed bacteria that have completed a cycle, they stay fed by natural feed acquisition. open topped tanks in a home are sources of continual feed. If you did feed them, no harm. if you didnt feed them, they get food anyway.

you can't stall or degrade or undo your cycle from here on out no matter what, without sustained and measured antibiotics being administered. liferock activates after 12 days underwater, you have live sand, and bottle bac has it ready in about 3 days total time. the only thing missing is seneye ammonia readings, which would not agree with your current ones, thats how we know you can begin.

whenever you are ready, change as much water as you can stand to change, and begin. starting bioload will not die/feed lightly dont feed shock the new system.

Hey man! I purchased new dr Tim’s ammonia. I just got my ammonia up to 1.5 ppm. I couldn’t get it this high with my 3 years old ammonia. So it has to be my old ammonia. It went bad. Let’s see if my tank can deplete this 1.5 ppm ammonia within 24 hours.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made DIY ATO reservoir in orange :)

DIY light mounts using 80/20 coming soon;) and also DIY Apex cabinet stay tune!
A7CA34F7-80DC-4387-AF5B-B0AA783FFADE.jpeg

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning shot of the orange storm

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back