Welcome to our newest sponsor Turbo's Aquatics!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Members please help me in welcoming our newest sponsor Turbo's Aquatics!

Thank you for your support of our community and thank you for joining us here at Reef2Reef!

Members please remember to shop with R2R sponsors first and support the companies that support us.

Thank you!

Wy8tt_Earp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be familiar with your products and not aware of it. Can you tell me/us about your company and your products? I really try to support the sponsors that support us so Welcome to R2R. I'm sure we will be doing business in the future!!

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me/us about your company and your products?
Sure, right now the best way is to read the first posts in the threads I started here over the past weekend:

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/turbos-aquatics.826/

I'd link you to my product site, but it's pretty much non-existent - I have a few higher-priority items right now and wanted to roll out the product announcement as soon as my lawyer chimed in (which he did, last week) and I got a green flag back from the production team (which I did, last week)

Thanks!!

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not seem like the right link, unless my phone is wonky.
Hey @Mike in CT, I just linked back to my sponsor forum as I thought @Wy8tt_Earp might not have looked there for the product release thread - right now, that's the best way to explain the product I make.

But to expand on it, since I have 30 minutes before I gotta wake up kids for school :) ...

I may be familiar with your products and not aware of it. Can you tell me/us about your company and your products?
I'm an Electrical Engineer by education, but as my wife puts it, I've tried as hard as I can to avoid doing that. It's all pretty ironic because my Dad was an EE, Uncle was an EE, I went to college to become an EE and graduated with EE, then eventually got my PE license, and now I'm part owner of an MEP/Structural firm. They say that most go into college and come out with something different, I guess I would be the exception. But I've also been an insurance adjuster as well as a systems engineer (glorified technical writer) as well as a few other odd things like trying to buy/sell homes, tried selling collection services once, even sold pots & pans one summer in college.

I fell into reefkeeping when I bought a tank from a dentist after he moved and couldn't find a place for his 90g corner bowfront. Eventually I sold that, but he also convinced me to take over maintenance of his office tank, which was being poorly kept up at the time.

FullTank.jpg

Sump.jpg

Sumpskimmer.jpg

So, I dove in, learned the ropes, etc. I was about to put a fuge on the tank when I came across Algae Scrubbers on one of the "Mega" threads. My Dad was working with acrylic, making display cases and holders for antique collectors and sellers (he still does) and he helped me build my first algae scrubber, installed on 10/10/10

IMG_8710.jpg

That one worked pretty well I'd say

IMG_8973.jpg

but showed it's flaws and was replaced just a few months later

IMG_9164a.jpg

These worked so well, I decided to learn acrylic fabrication and build scrubbers. I cut my teeth on some sumps and frag tanks

DSC03477.jpg

DSC03010.jpg

DSC03473.jpg

DSC04517.jpg

DSC03879.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

DSC05248.jpg

one of my faves, a 70g freshwater sump
DSC00280.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00278.jpg

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then came, the e-Shine scrubber
DSC00213.jpg

Which was an epic fail. Too much light, never grew quite right. Ask @SPotter (hey he's on here I just randomly tested that tag...). It ended up mangled in "the move"

After that, I came out with the first version of the L2 (Rev 1). This was the first production level LED Algae Scrubber ever produced. Or at least, as far as I know.

01L2.jpg

I made about 50 of these, then rolled into Rev 2 when I realized that hey, the MakersLED guys live right up the road and are in my club, why am I paying for shipping non-anodized heat sinks, duh!

TurboL202.jpg

Then, why not go bigger? Enter the L3 and L4

L3L4.jpg

Around fall 2013, the Rev 3 was debuted at MACNA in Miami

IMG_1502_zpsae8848a7.jpg

If you were there, you might remember these banners
Banner_A_zps6bed7172.jpg

Banner_B_zps4eb49a0b.jpg

Banner_C_zpsedbf5ac9.jpg

The Rev 3 was great, but demand was (at times) so high that wait times were ridiculous. I have international retailers who have wanted to carry my Algae Scrubbers for years and I've never been able to make that happen. So I started searching for a way to automate and meet demand. I got that figured out and got it all initially funded, so that's where I'm at today.

In the meantime, I still have that job, a wonderful wife, 4 great kids, 2 smelly dogs, a house, a 120g tank of my own, and I help maintain that dentist office tank still, as well as a restaurant tank. So yeah, busy life!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back