well dang is my skimmer pump dead?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 4yr old skimmer on my fowler stopped foaming to the top, it only foams about 1" above the water line in my sump... so I took it out and cleaned it all very well. there is nothing visually I can see wrong with the pump or impeller. so after an all-night vinegar soak, I rinsed and reinstalled.. and nope I have the same problem.

even with the water level adjusted to it max height the water never bubbles more than 1" above the water line? thoughts?

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no idea what brand you have but on mine the nipple that the thin tubing to bring in air goes on will clog up internally with salt/calcium to the point that i have to open it back up with a drill bit...so no idea if an overnight vinegar soak would dissolve this...in addition theres another small nipple on the large pipe that discharges water back into the sump(past the height adjuster) which does the same thing....i clean that one out weekly ...cause its not submerged so its easy...and blow compressed air through the other one weekly too...but eventually have to pull the pump and drill that one too in spite of blowing it out

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no idea what brand you have but on mine the nipple that the thin tubing to bring in air goes on will clog up internally with salt/calcium to the point that i have to open it back up with a drill bit...so no idea if an overnight vinegar soak would dissolve this...in addition theres another small nipple on the large pipe that discharges water back into the sump(past the height adjuster) which does the same thing....i clean that one out weekly ...cause its not submerged so its easy...and blow compressed air through the other one weekly too...but eventually have to pull the pump and drill that one too in spite of blowing it out
This here/\

After a year my skimmer stopped producing bubbles and I had no idea why, after two tear downs I finally found a clog in the venturi that attaches to the air intake tube.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back