Well... I bought Berghia Nudibranchs...

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caved in and finally decided to buy 5 Nudibrachs. Nothing worked to kill the Aiptasia... let’s see if this works.

I added them this afternoon and haven’t seen them since. Took about 3 hours for them to literally leave little container.

Any tips for future care?

10CFF930-A315-4DF1-B417-8037B0E25D16.jpeg 04F87876-229D-4C94-AC51-7519231A541D.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They worked for me some years ago, but it takes time.

I placed each of mine on an aiptasia and they did start work right away. But IMHO they are not fast workers and they do better if they reproduce.

If they solve your problem and you want to pull them out rather than have them starve to death. I could be interested in buying them (or some of them). I'm close to tearing down my current 40g tank and setting up a new diy 90g tank. I do have some new aiptasia and when I tear down the old tank, all the rock, coral and RFA will go into 2 other holding tanks. One will be for 'clean' rocks and the other for rocks with aiptasia. I'll do my best to clean them off myself, but it is a PITA job! So some nudibranches might be just the ticket.

I'll be coming over to your side of the state anyway to visit VIP Reef and shop for some new RFA's that look different than the family of them that I have now.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much you can do but hope they survive and start doing their thing.. I didn’t see any activity for a couple weeks then the aiptasia started to disappear.

Just like all the other treatments it appears they reproduce while being eaten by the nudi’s , a few weeks after I thought they where gone I started seeing babies pop up around the tank, the nudi’s still doing their job but I think they will starve off before tank is 100% eradicated.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally used them as well as a close friend who had a million in his tank. 2 months all gone. They are amazing you will not be disappointed.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely work! IME you may never see them again however depending on how bad an infestation you have you will one day wake up and notice 90% of the aiptasia vanished. Could be 2, 3 or even 4 months just be patient and when you finally decide they must’ve died and didn’t do anything they’ll start working ;)

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 is kind of a small number, on my 30-gallon I used a dozen, medium sized, which worked well, picked them up from a company on the East coast. I've also used the company out of St Louis and those didn't survive

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 is kind of a small number, on my 30-gallon I used a dozen, medium sized, which worked well, picked them up from a company on the East coast. I've also used the company out of St Louis and those didn't survive
I used reeftown he recommended 6 I went for 5.

Let’s wait and see

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, been a couple days now. Havent seen a single one or noticed any difference in the aiptasia population... I mean I saw them crawl out of the little container, some into the sand some into the rockwork... Hope theyre alive.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought tiny berghia online and introduced them to my DT and sump. Took several months for them to noticeably make a dent in the aiptasia population. I think if they are full grown then you get results faster.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are nocturnal, so check at night when the lights are off. It takes time for them to find their way. One way to help them is to reduce flow at night, otherwise they can get blown around when they're small and there's too much flow. Sometimes you can spot their eggs, which looks like a circle spiral.
As mentioned before, once they consume all of the aiptasia, sell them or gift them to other reefers. But don't be surprised when the tiny babies appear later.
Also, as a general note, release them at night near a rock with aiptasia, not on aiptasia (they can be eaten by aiptasia if not placed correctly) and release them as a group. It takes two to fertilize the eggs. Good luck!

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, been a couple days now. Havent seen a single one or noticed any difference in the aiptasia population... I mean I saw them crawl out of the little container, some into the sand some into the rockwork... Hope theyre alive.
It's a very slow process almost like watching paint dry

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are nocturnal, so check at night when the lights are off. It takes time for them to find their way. One way to help them is to reduce flow at night, otherwise they can get blown around when they're small and there's too much flow. Sometimes you can spot their eggs, which looks like a circle spiral.
As mentioned before, once they consume all of the aiptasia, sell them or gift them to other reefers. But don't be surprised when the tiny babies appear later.
Also, as a general note, release them at night near a rock with aiptasia, not on aiptasia (they can be eaten by aiptasia if not placed correctly) and release them as a group. It takes two to fertilize the eggs. Good luck!

Hoping they didnt get eaten by my small emerald crab.. Also have a six line wrasse which is extremely shy. I released them mid day but with all my lights off. All the fish were hiding.

MikeyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting in the outcome as I just ordered some for my tank as well.
I am very worried they will be eaten by my Lunar and Choris Wrasse. However, everyone I have spoken to tell me it's the only sure shot against aiptasia.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting in the outcome as I just ordered some for my tank as well.
I am very worried they will be eaten by my Lunar and Choris Wrasse. However, everyone I have spoken to tell me it's the only sure shot against aiptasia.

Just release them at night. The only time you see them during the day is when they're hungry and can't find aiptasia.

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping they didnt get eaten by my small emerald crab.. Also have a six line wrasse which is extremely shy. I released them mid day but with all my lights off. All the fish were hiding.

Six line are amazing hunters. I bet at least half if not all of those are already fish food.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back