Well seems I still find other fish interesting so….20 gallon potential reef stocking?

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhmmm…I kind of have an addiction to finding new fish an wanting to keep in my future 20 gal nano reef. I came up with some of these Lists.

Stocking 1
percula pair + BTA
possum wrasse
target mandarin (feeds well on frozen copepods and I can return if sick/won’t feed)

Stocking 2
occelaris clown
target mandarin
shrimp goby pair
midas blenny

stocking 3
midas blenny
target mandarin
longnose hawk
possum wrasse or pink streaked wrasse

stocking 4
longnose hawk
percula clown
possum wrasse
midas blenny

stocking 5
percula clown
target mandarin
flame hawk or falco hawk
possum wrasse

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you will have limited space and you love fish, I would not get a pair of clowns. Yes, watching them spawn can be rewarding but other than that, you can enjoy 1 clown as much as 2.

I love midas blennies but 20 gallons is a little small for one. Live Aquaria recommends 30 gallons.

A shrimp/goby pair could be a lot of fun and offer a lot of entertainment?

I like hawk fish a lot but remember that they might eat any ornamental shrimp. I especially like the long nose hawk fish.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh..soo can I keep 5 fish. Bio load isn’t a problem as I have a skimmer triple the size. So what about-
Clown
target mandarin
shrimp goby pair
longnose hawk
some kind of basslet or nano reef wrasse

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh..soo can I keep 5 fish. Bio load isn’t a problem as I have a skimmer triple the size. So what about-
Clown
target mandarin
shrimp goby pair
longnose hawk
some kind of basslet or nano reef wrasse
Yes I think that would work. I would add the clown and hawk fish last since they would be the more aggressive fish.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhmmm…I kind of have an addiction to finding new fish an wanting to keep in my future 20 gal nano reef. I came up with some of these Lists.

Stocking 1
percula pair + BTA
possum wrasse
target mandarin (feeds well on frozen copepods and I can return if sick/won’t feed)

Stocking 2
occelaris clown
target mandarin
shrimp goby pair
midas blenny

stocking 3
midas blenny
target mandarin
longnose hawk
possum wrasse or pink streaked wrasse

stocking 4
longnose hawk
percula clown
possum wrasse
midas blenny

stocking 5
percula clown
target mandarin
flame hawk or falco hawk
possum wrasse
stocking 2 with no mandarin would be my advice.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, will an oversized skimmer suffice. The skimmer I want to use is rated 40 - 60 gallons. Will this allow me to keep more fish? Less maintenanc?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not about waste management at this point. Its about having enough volume and space to keep the fish from killing each other. A lot of the fish you named are territorial

In a worse case scenario, you could end up in a situation that the 1 clown will claim your whole tank and bully/kill everything else, more so if you have a mated pair, esp when they get older/bigger.

My 8 year old mated pair were such jerks when they were in a 20G that the only other fish I had, a basslet, was relegated to a cave 24/7. It only got better after I upgraded to my current 65G. And even in this one they sometimes bully the coral beauty or the Canary wrasse thats bigger than them. Even now, the wrasse and CB do not go pass the middle of the tank bc the clowns claimed half of it to themselves

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a pink streaked wrasse and clown goby in my 13.5 and absolutely love both of them lol. Two totally different personalities. The clown goby is kinda like a puppy and is always waiting for me to come up and feed it. And the pink streaked wrasse is like a cat that always runs and hides behind the couch when you get home haha. Such a beautiful fish but you don’t get to see it very easily if you’re in front of the tank. Kinda wish I got two of them though.

as far as pink streaked wrasses go though. It sounds like since they’re such timid fish you don’t really want any aggression at all or they won’t feel safe to eat and can starve to death.

I vote stocking 3 but am not sure about the Midas blenny. I was going to get a tailspot blenny with my pink streaked since I couldn’t find any clown gobies. But a few people said that even they could be a little too aggressive for the wrasse. Luckily I finally found the clown goby shortly after. Couldn’t find any for 3 years before that lol.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after looking at the replies maybe
starry or striped blenny
royal gramma or black cap basslet
target mandarin
longnose hawk
Helfrichi or scissortail fzirefish

Accidental quote, sorry

I’ve got a pink streaked wrasse and clown goby in my 13.5 and absolutely love both of them lol. Two totally different personalities. The clown goby is kinda like a puppy and is always waiting for me to come up and feed it. And the pink streaked wrasse is like a cat that always runs and hides behind the couch when you get home haha. Such a beautiful fish but you don’t get to see it very easily if you’re in front of the tank. Kinda wish I got two of them though.

as far as pink streaked wrasses go though. It sounds like since they’re such timid fish you don’t really want any aggression at all or they won’t feel safe to eat and can starve to death.

I vote stocking 3 but am not sure about the Midas blenny. I was going to get a tailspot blenny with my pink streaked since I couldn’t find any clown gobies. But a few people said that even they could be a little too aggressive for the wrasse. Luckily I finally found the clown goby shortly after. Couldn’t find any for 3 years before that lol.
lol. I don’t think I’ll be doing the pink streaked as you say it’s very timid and I don’t want such a beautiful fish getting bullied by others. I rhink I may just set up a 10 gallon with Live rock and soft corals just for 2 pink streaked wrasse or a possum wrasse and a pink streaked with maybe a ruby red dragonet

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Starry blenny would probably be too big. Mine is really large and even in my 32 gallon I feel like he'd like a bigger tank. I actually had to pull my yellow watchman goby and put it in my quarantine tank because my starry started bullying him, even though they have been together for 9 months with no issues. Still not sure what to do with my goby.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. I don’t think I’ll be doing the pink streaked as you say it’s very timid and I don’t want such a beautiful fish getting bullied by others. I rhink I may just set up a 10 gallon with Live rock and soft corals just for 2 pink streaked wrasse or a possum wrasse and a pink streaked with maybe a ruby red dragonet
That sounds even better haha. You definitely won’t regret getting them as long as they’re safe.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ikr. Just curious, would one be okay in a 5 gallon.

it’s doesn’t seem like mine uses very much space in my tank but I feel like a 5 would be too small as well. I think it’s recommended that they go in a 15 gallon as a minimum. So even then I guess I’m kinda pushing it in my tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back