Well seems I still find other fish interesting so….20 gallon potential reef stocking?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g are that size that I find my favorite pico fish are hard to spot, but the larger fish are a bit too aggressive. If you really want clowns, get pink skunks as they are smaller and take longer to mature and spawn. I think they are usually less aggressive also.

Blennies stick with the tailspot, or similar sized guy.

Wrasses I would skip. The little guys are very secretive, but this is only from what I have heard. I have never kept the smaller ones.

Fun personality fish I have owned that would be good are clown gobies, masked gobies, neon gobies (a pair if you can find), shrimp and goby combination.

I like damsels in a small tank if you get the correct one. So far I have had good experience with talbots, azure and the Pavo one by Biota. These you can keep on in the tank with others just fine. Plus they have funny behaviors and good splash of color.

Links goby by Biota is secretive, but is a sand sifter and stays small. Court jesters are fun too.

For instance with masked gobies, you can get up to 3-5 in that tank without issue. They do not battle and it will have lots of space.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly really don’t want clowns anymore, as I found out a tclown in my friends tank beat the crap out of a naso tang and a yellow tang to death. I’m willing to try target mandarins, but if they don’t work out I’m gonna give ‘em back but I highly doubt that as my lfs had it for 5+months and I’ve even seen it eat frozen. Alright no hawkfish but what about a geometric Pygmy perchlet or falco hawkfish? I honeslty won’t love a tank full of gobies and blennies tbh. So what about-
target mandarin dragonet
falco hawk
bi Color blenny
black cap basslet or royal gramma
Fire fish

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have a 56 gallon and I could not find a butterfly fish that was even suitable for my tank.
A firefish would be nice. Although they are called firefish gobies they are actually in the dartfish family.

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't consider a reef tank with out clowns. Goby and Shrimp works great because they don't compete for the same territory as the clowns. And, I personally like the Six Line Wrasse because they have awesome colors and can hold their own against an aggressive female clown. I personally find having to target feed any fish becomes a hassle over time.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with TheyGaveItToMe, I wouldn’t have a tank without a clown fish pair. I’ve had a sixline for most or the 17 years I have been reefing, one of my favorite fish.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with TheyGaveItToMe, I wouldn’t have a tank without a clown fish pair. I’ve had a sixline for most or the 17 years I have been reefing, one of my favorite fish.
Being completely honest, I want to keep lesser aggrressive fish like longnose hawks, target mandarins, basslets and blennies and I have seen clowns do some…well…killings. And i have seen a clown hold it’s own against an orange shoulder tang so I kinda don’t want to see the ugly side.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't consider a reef tank with out clowns. Goby and Shrimp works great because they don't compete for the same territory as the clowns. And, I personally like the Six Line Wrasse because they have awesome colors and can hold their own against an aggressive female clown. I personally find having to target feed any fish becomes a hassle over time.
Target feeding is actually kinda fun for me. I target fed some bristlenose plecoes for over 6 years. Never bored me. Six line wrasses seem to have an unpredictable personality based on everything said in this thread. Some say peaceful, some say murderers.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pink streak wrasse and yellow watchman goby in a Nuvo 20. I had a Redfin goby for about a week then my YWG harassed it until it jumped thru the IM mesh lid.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I may upgrade to A 40 gallon long. My budget allows it so yea. Stocking

longnose hawk
coral beuty
clown pair (you guys convinced me…)
target mandarin
naoko wrasse
starry blenny or Midas blenny
tri Color wrasse

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back