WELL WATER AND COPPER PIPES AND WATER SOFTENER

EASTERN INDIGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a house with no municipal water, only a well and water softener. The house has 39 yr old copper pipes. I have over 1300 gallons of water total between reef and FOWLR, so buying distilled water is not an option.

Will my RODI system make this water safe?

Thanks in advance.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sending of a water analysis through culligan or any water company in your area will get you a good idea of what kind of ro and di you will need.

Depending on what kind of metals and other organics are in your water they will deplete you ro and di differently.

But yes a rodi unit will remove what you don't want.

With just a Softener first and then the rodi depending on how high the metal levels and other organics are, you could be going through di like crazy.

sumtingbig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on well water and no softener. Have the BRS RODI unit. Everything is fine. I get 5 gallons of DI and 15 gallons waste. Do laundry, mop floors and water plants with waste.

View Badges
Every house has copper pipes same copper has 40 years ago. All water comes goes through copper or galvanized, all plex houses have copper fittings also.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smartest choice you'll make today might be to buy a water softening system. There will be more advantages than you might anticipate. You should check out some of the top products that AFWFilters has to offer. Take into consideration this entire set of a water softener. It comes with a fiberglass resin tank and high-capacity resin. A safety float Noryl plastic bypass and a metered regulated valve are components of the brine tank. The presence of the float is advantageous because it prevents overfilling and cooperates with the overflow drain to stop any further water sludge.
OP has a water system currently.
I just bought a house with no municipal water, only a well and water softener. The house has 39 yr old copper pipes. I have over 1300 gallons of water total between reef and FOWLR, so buying distilled water is not an option.

Will my RODI system make this water safe?

Thanks in advance.
No worries about copper pipes.
They won't "pickup" copper as you run water. But rodi may so don't store water in a copper drum. :)
As for the softener, they add salts and the rodi will take it back out. Your membrane may be depleted faster.
Your discharge from the softener should not be going into a septic system if you also have that at the new house. Salt and cement do not play nicely. As code in some states have been seperating them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries about copper pipes.
They won't "pickup" copper as you run water. But rodi may so don't store water in a copper drum. :)
What do you mean by that? Copper is most homes does come from their own pipes. That’s why municipal water companies must test for copper and lead in water from taps in homes.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by that? Copper is most homes does come from their own pipes. That’s why municipal water companies must test for copper and lead in water from taps in homes.
Well, I guess it wouldn't be enough that the rodi unit wouldn't be able to handle.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess it wouldn't be enough that the rodi unit wouldn't be able to handle.

That is certainly true. An RO/DI will remove any problematic levels of copper.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper pipes, everyone has them, it wont make a difference in filtration.

Well water can be hit or miss. A TDS meter would help figure out how bad it is. I would get a 5 micron carbon filter just to serve the house off a well, so an extra stage or two of micron filters would probably take care of extra sediment. Youll spend more on filters, but it will still be cheaper and easier than buying water.

A water softener is a whole other beast. Its literally salting your water. You do not want softened water to go through a RO unit. Just make sure the RO tap is BEFORE the water softener.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper pipes, everyone has them, it wont make a difference in filtration.

Well water can be hit or miss. A TDS meter would help figure out how bad it is. I would get a 5 micron carbon filter just to serve the house off a well, so an extra stage or two of micron filters would probably take care of extra sediment. Youll spend more on filters, but it will still be cheaper and easier than buying water.

A water softener is a whole other beast. Its literally salting your water. You do not want softened water to go through a RO unit. Just make sure the RO tap is BEFORE the water softener.

Many people in newer homes do not have copper, and if they do not, then one may be able to use the water company data to know if the water is pure enough.

As to the RO, most experts recommend the softener before an RO/DI if there is hard water because the softener swaps out ions such as calcium and magnesium for ions such as sodium that do not have as much chance of clogging the RO membrane by calcium carbonate precipitation.

A water softener doesn't substantially increase the total ion charge present, just changes them from calcium and magnesium to sodium.

IMO, there's a minor issue that it may make the Di deplete faster because sodium is harder to remove by RO then calcium, so more of it gets to the DI.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A RO membrane is much more effective removing sodium then it is magnesium or calcium. If you have hard water and a softener use soft water for your RO system.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I would never argue anything with the almighty RHF, as a plumbing engineer even with all plastic piping in a house the feed line from the meter is copper. And the piping from the plant where the water is tested to your house is a huge question mark.

I have seen TDS numbers at a house 10x greater than what was quoted by the municipality.

Just food for thought, otherwise what RHF says is gold.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I would never argue anything with the almighty RHF, as a plumbing engineer even with all plastic piping in a house the feed line from the meter is copper. And the piping from the plant where the water is tested to your house is a huge question mark.

I have seen TDS numbers at a house 10x greater than what was quoted by the municipality.

That may often be true. :)

ChampionLighting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is true! I had a customer on the same municipal water supply that I'm on, except he was on the outskirts of town and at the end of the water main. I had to set him up with 4x20" sediment cartridge before the RO/DI due of the amount of iron and sediment that was in his water.

View Badges
You can get a yearly report of towns well water yes that's what they used they drill a well, you can get that report from water companies before they treat it. Or bring your well water to a pool service place and they can put it on there machine For free. Or send your well water sample to ATI analysis and get online see how bad it is. Some places are great Don't have to do anything just add salt,there's a main coral company in Florida has a saltwater well that's what they use how lucky they are ,never having to buy salt ever they save so much money that way.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back