Well water CO2 removal for RODI

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will aeration lower dissolved co2 in my RO water? Currently experiencing very fast depletion of my DI resin. Can I fill a brute with just RO, aerate, then pump the aerated water through the DI resin. Curious if a pump with a venturi will be enough. If this will work how long should I aerate the water before pumping through the DI resin. Source water is 480ppm. RO water is coming out at 26ppm, could this be the issue and not co2? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

MLSReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to store the RO water into a reservoir and put an air stone and pump in it and let it pump for a while until under 10 ppm of CO2.

when my float valve hits and the reservoir is full, i have a ball valve before the float so I can shut water to the unit. I'll completely aerate the CO2 out of the water and use a test kit to verify. once it's done, I turn on my aquatec pump through the DI stages into another reservoir

use the co2 test kit from spectrapure and google DIY CO2 degassing tower. @TheEngineer has a good write up based on Spectrapure design

MLSReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meant to say "i have a ball valve before the float so I can shut off water to the reservoir*

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even aerate mine, but I leave my RO water sit in a 50g barrel overnight before using a booster pump to pump it through a double canister DI. Works really well.

You can test how much CO2 is in the water by testing the PH of the water right after it comes out of the RO unit and then again after it sits 12 hours. If ph has stabilized all the CO2 has off gassed and it's ok to pump through the DI.

MLSReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even aerate mine, but I leave my RO water sit in a 50g barrel overnight before using a booster pump to pump it through a double canister DI. Works really well.

You can test how much CO2 is in the water by testing the PH of the water right after it comes out of the RO unit and then again after it sits 12 hours. If ph has stabilized all the CO2 has off gassed and it's ok to pump through the DI.

Letting it sit and aerate works, but IMO if you cant verify the CO2 ppm then you are in the unknown. But you can let it sit overnight and it will degas to a certain extent but might take longer. Havent tried that

Marcos_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to store the RO water into a reservoir and put an air stone and pump in it and let it pump for a while until under 10 ppm of CO2.

when my float valve hits and the reservoir is full, i have a ball valve before the float so I can shut water to the unit. I'll completely aerate the CO2 out of the water and use a test kit to verify. once it's done, I turn on my aquatec pump through the DI stages into another reservoir

use the co2 test kit from spectrapure and google DIY CO2 degassing tower. @TheEngineer has a good write up based on Spectrapure design

So from what I understand, after you aerate the co2 out of the water in a reservoir, you can use a aquatec booster pump directly from the reservoir thru the DI Stage? Do I just place the RO tubing in the reservoir, connect it to the inlet of the aquatec booster pump, then the outlet from the booster pump to the DI stage? Thanks in advance

wake122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from what I understand, after you aerate the co2 out of the water in a reservoir, you can use a aquatec booster pump directly from the reservoir thru the DI Stage? Do I just place the RO tubing in the reservoir, connect it to the inlet of the aquatec booster pump, then the outlet from the booster pump to the DI stage? Thanks in advance
Did you ever figure out an answer to this? I'm having the same issue currently.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple methods for aerating...and if handy, you can make an "in-line" de-gasser. I would not use an Aquatec...high pressure pump that you don't want to use for DI. Here is the BRS video on the subject:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back