Went to frag a small zoa and...

Taborct1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a colony of zoas that had more than I needed on it so I decided to cut a few off and trade the rest. When I went to do this I found an orange/pink blister looking thing on the bottom of the skeleton housing the zoas.. Should I remove this or is it a good creature?

Was a bit more plump under the water.
20200709_122038.jpg
20200709_122005.jpg

OP
OP
Taborct1

Taborct1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell by the picture but it could be a sponge or tunicate if it deflated when out of water. Does it have any holes or openings in it?

I didn't see any but I admittedly didnt look for and. It did have a single small thing coming off of it. Couldn't tell what it was but it was the same color as the rest of it and looked a bit like how a snail eye would. It is translucent as well when it was under water.

OP
OP
Taborct1

Taborct1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell by the picture but it could be a sponge or tunicate if it deflated when out of water. Does it have any holes or openings in it?
I think you right with tunicate after looking at several photos online.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better picture. Either a tunicate or sponge. I would guess sponge because they are more common and often grow between zoas, but I do see 2 openings which is indicative of tunicates so I could be wrong, lol. I see other sponges next to it (white ones). I'm sure some one with more expertise could weigh in.

Nothing to worry about, but the bubble algae in the crack would be more worrisome.

OP
OP
Taborct1

Taborct1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better picture. Either a tunicate or sponge. I would guess sponge because they are more common and often grow between zoas, but I do see 2 openings which is indicative of tunicates so I could be wrong, lol. I see other sponges next to it (white ones). I'm sure some one with more expertise could weigh in.

Nothing to worry about, but the bubble algae in the crack would be more worrisome.
I've only had this rock for a 1.5 weeks and the guy I got it from has bubble algae. Im sure it came from him. Should I try to scape it off or just see if it disappears on its own?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not scrap or remove it in tank. Bubble algae is technically a single celled organism filled with spores, so when it pops, all its spores are released and will grow. I've had it take over tanks, and I have also had it where it would pop up here and there.

In the past, I use to take the rock out, try and pry them out without busting them and then rinsing with tank water before putting it back in. You could also remove them out of the tank and then dip in peroxide solution to kill any spores (fine for Zoas, but likely would kill everything else on the rock)

EDIT: I will say I haven't had bubble algae in a many many years, so there may be more modern and more effective methods to remove them now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back