We're Here!

Discussion in 'MindStream' started by Step Ahead Innovations, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Step Ahead Innovations

Step Ahead Innovations Member

Thank you Ron. As a small company with limited resources focused on bringing this product to you, we are doing everything we can to keep up with you! Have a good weekend! The MindStream team.

Reduck likes this.

2. bsstover

bsstover Acroholic R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

I guess my concern regarding the kickstarter not meeting goal would be that once it is brought to market it may be at the estimated $700-900 (I've seen that number thrown at many times). I would like to know if maybe there will be an option for those that supported early on will have an opportunity to get at the $500ish they promised as an early adopter.

3. Bryman

Bryman Member

I along with the others am super excited for this product. It will revolutionize the way we care for our tanks, especially for more sensitive SPS reefs. I was one of the first KS backers, but pulled out when I saw the FAQ where the first hardware wouldn't be upgradable to support Apex in the future. If there were an upgrade path for the KS backers I would have left my backing in place, but I can't justify paying $500 now and then another $700-900 later when this very important feature is available in the future product revisions. I think the KS would be fully funded already if the product was coming to market with controller integration or at least an upgrade path to it. This is, IMO, the complete solution and holy grail product we've all been dreaming of. Just my 2 cents.

4. EDO

EDO Active Member

I will definitely be checking you guys out at MANCA. If you can impress my wife she just may let me jump in on the KS.

5. Mirya

Mirya Active Member

Granted, this is all hypothetical, but it doesn't seem to me that hardware would be necessary to make the Mindstream communicate with the Apex down the road. Sure, we are used to the cables between all our Apex-ready devices, but both the Mindstream and the Apex communicate with the cloud. In the future they could just develop a way for the cloud Mindstream database to communicate with Apex Fusion.

TylerS and EDO like this.
  6. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor AZ FRAG Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Agree; a hardware change isn't needed for Apex integration.

7. Bryman

Bryman Member

There are two ways to integrate an Apex that I see - develop an API between the Mindstream cloud and Apex Fusion, and transfer data between providers via Internet. Or, you include the specific physical wireless transceiver or module in your own home to connect the Mindstream device to your Apex controller directly. I think the integration they are talking about is the hardware solution, not a programming API on the provider side. Doing the integration on the cloud side wouldn't require extra hardware, but this doesn't seem to be their plan.

8. Step Ahead Innovations

Hello Bryman, Mirya, and Evolved. You are absolutely correct, any future integration with cloud-based devices (like Apex) would NOT REQUIRE changes in the hardware of the MindStream monitor. Technically, this integration could be accomplished in the cloud-based software. The MindStream monitor itself would not need to be modified. As stated in our KS FAQ, we are currently devoting our scarce development resources to getting our first MindStream monitor to market. We understand the advantages of integration with other tank system providers, including Neptune Systems, but we will need to consider the merits and investments required for that integration at a later time in our development. Hope this helps!

Mirya, gettaReef, Bryman and 3 others like this.
  9. Bryman

Bryman Member

Thanks for your response! So are you saying that we wouldn't need to purchase a next generation Mindstream Monitor if you decide to do Apex / controller integration down the road?

If this is the case, I cancelled my December pledge based on a false assumption. The FAQ response on the KS page states:

"We are currently devoting our development resources to getting our first MindStream monitor to market. The first version will not be integrated with other systems, including Apex controllers. We will certainly consider the merits of working with other aquarium tank system providers, including Neptune Systems, to provide integration down the road."

I read this "first version" to be the first version of the hardware. If this is not the case, you may want to clarify this on the FAQ. I think it would make a big difference in the decision for many people. If there was even the potential in the future to have the first Mindstream monitors in the Kickstarter campaign integrate with Apex, I would not have pulled my pledge :(

10. Step Ahead Innovations

Yes, that is true :), you would NOT need to purchase a next generation MindStream monitor down the road if we decide to do Apex/controller integration. Many future product enhancements are capable of being implemented either through the cloud software or in the consumable sensor discs. That is one of the advantages of creating a product that is cloud-based rather than hardware-based. We are of course keeping our fingers crossed that you will consider backing us on Kickstarter (again). Thanks for your suggestion regarding the FAQ. We will make the modification you suggested now. Have a good weekend!

11. Bryman

Bryman Member

Thanks again for the quick response and for taking my suggestion on the FAQ. Hopefully that will avoid the confusion I had for others and give you a better Kickstarter finish. I backed again on the January option since December is sold out. Can't wait!

12. Step Ahead Innovations

Excellent. Thank you Bryman. That's a great way to end the week!

13. jcdeng

jcdeng Valuable Member

I see from many of the forum disscusions accross my local reef forum and national forums like R2R and RC that the major complaint ppl have is the cost of the disc and how long they last for. If you cannot foresee that the disc can be improved upon to last longer and still remain accurate in various tank setups, do you plan on making the disc more affortable down the road given that new technology can/might make the manufacturing of the disc more cost effective?

14. adam knaus

adam knaus Member

+1 on the apex connectivity! Apex is the aquarium must have for most so another add on would be awesome!

15. notclear

notclear Member

Do you have a rough idea now which 3 of the 10 parameters will be the least accurate if the disc is used beyond 30 days

I would like to support the product, but the disc is just too expensive to run on a 160G tank.

16. drsalomon

drsalomon Member

I guess the critical question for me is the accuracy of the alkalinity calculation. So far on the various websites I have not seen any plots of alkalinity over time. I understand that alkalinity is extrapolated from CO2/ph measurements. Would it be possible to see such a plot to help me make the decision about the kickstarter proposition?

Also one of the videos mentioned that the act of shining light on the fluorescent probe was one of the factors that decreased the lifespan of the sensor disk. If this is the case could we increase and potentially double lifespan of these disks by taking measurements every 30 min instead of every 15 min? The ongoing cost of the disks doubling from initial estimates is really causing me to pause and 30 min spaced datapoints would not diminish the usefulness of the technology in my view. Will it be possible to configure the frequency of the measurements through software?

7hogwarts likes this.
  17. 427HISS

427HISS Valuable Member

WELCOME TO RTR !

18. samba_dad

samba_dad Active Member R2R Supporter

Excited about seeing the product at MACNA!

19. Jeremy Young

Jeremy Young New Member

I'm still hoping you guys come out with a local display unit though, I'm in the country out of reach of broadband so I don't have WiFi, I would be willing to pay extra for that convenience.

I know you use Google for number crunching and relay calibration data for each disk but I know work around for such issues ☺

20. 007Bond

007Bond Active Member

Shark Tank...

Draft saved Draft deleted