We're Here!

Discussion in 'MindStream' started by Step Ahead Innovations, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ReefMadScientist

ReefMadScientist Valuable Member

Hey! I paid to be a beta-tester :) I hope they allow me to still assist.

There were only 13 or so of us that actually committed.

2. Reduck

Reduck ^ His name is Trent R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Exactly. I would hope that they remember those of us who actually committed themselves financially to this project.

ReefMadScientist likes this.
  3. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

My guess is that they have some number crunching and market research to do now. A conference as big as MACNA only brought them another 20ish backers so they might be better off iterating their design plans a bit more before committing to a beta test for a product that didn't get a positive first outing.

4. ReefMadScientist

Exactly. I thought the funds would still be kept but was shocked when I got the email saying my money was refunded. I am still committed to pay. I was surprised only 13 or 14 people actually committed to it. I am not saying everyone has $1000 to give, but noticed a lot of others went for the unit+12 month disc subscription.

5. Reduck

I understood that the funds would not be kept if the goal wasn't met and I was keeping a close eye on their page to see if they made it or not.
    I was and still am highly disappointed that it did not make funding.
    But I'm sure, like you and I, most of the people that were "in" would still prefer to be in.
    We just have to wait and see what happens next.

ReefMadScientist likes this.
  6. Bryman

Bryman Member

Kind of strange we haven't heard anything from Step Ahead yet. Hopefully we won't see a "We're Gone" thread :(

7. bsstover

bsstover Acroholic R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

This was their response on Facebook.
    To all our Kickstarter backers – thank you to each of you who stuck with us throughout our Kickstarter campaign! Even though we have not yet launched the product, and even though we were not in a position to answer all your questions about the MindStream monitor, you pledged your support to help us get to market and for that we are extremely grateful! While we are disappointed in the final results of the campaign, we are encouraged and motivated by the extremely positive feedback along the way and particularly with the overwhelming response at the MACNA conference this past weekend. As promised, we will forge ahead to bring you the MindStream monitor as quickly as possible and will let you know once we have a new timeline in place. In accordance with Kickstarter rules, if you backed us on our campaign, your card will not be charged for your pledge and all rewards have been cancelled. Nonetheless, we want to make good for those who pledged, and we will honor the Kickstarter pricing and delivery priority on the monitor/discs for our backers when we launch. For those who signed up for the beta tester reward, we will reach out to you personally in the coming weeks to discuss next steps. Lastly, we will continue to post updates here and will want to get in touch with you when we get closer to launch. Thank you again and know that we appreciate your enthusiasm for the MindStream monitor and the dramatic changes it will mean for maintaining healthy water chemistry for your cherished fish and corals!

gettaReef and ReefMadScientist like this.
  8. ReefMadScientist

Just got my email. So happy I will be contacted regarding the beta testing :D:D:D

9. Reduck

Yea. Same email here. Glad they put that out there. I feel a little bit better now...I'd surely hate to see all that dev go to waste!

10. Larry L

Larry L Active Member Partner Member 2018

I was lucky enough to stop by the MindStream booth at MACNA when Giuseppe was there, and he spent quite a while explaining the product to me (which I really appreciated!). This guy really knows his stuff, and the chemistry behind the device is solid. I really liked the user interface, and the high/low level alerts. (A previous post suggested these have not been tested/proven outside the lab, but the data I saw being displayed was all from Jim's tank.) Being able to not only measure all the various parameters, but also to see the historical trends over time and correlate them to each other or to external events, is a huge benefit. I really hope they can make the replacement disks available at a reasonable price point, but even at the estimated prices on KickStarter I think it will be well worth the money (if people are thinking of this as just an expensive alternative to a bunch of test kits, then that's like thinking an Apex is just an expensive light timer).

evolved, sonnus, nmertz1 and 3 others like this.
  11. lexinverts

lexinverts Active Member

This is interesting information. Thanks for sharing. I had wondered how involved Giuseppe actually was, since university professors at places like UVM are extremely busy with their academic duties. I am impressed that he is this involved in the project, and his involvement makes me more confident in its quality, since experts in analytical/aerosol chemistry at world-class research institutions are not usually satisfied with putting their name on anything that produces inaccurate data!

12. DaveMorris

DaveMorris MACNA2016 Co-Chair R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad

I can say that the company plans to be around a while. They bought a booth to exhibit at MACNA 2016 in San Diego! :)

lexinverts and Reduck like this.
  13. Ddavis

Ddavis Member R2R Supporter

I am looking forward to seeing an actual working device.

Draft saved Draft deleted