Were to get live rock

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in my lfs looking for fiji rocks and with the ban on collections their stock was completely depleted. It has been for sometime now. Headed over to bulkreefsupply.com and say the same. Where are people going fo get their live/dead rock at a reasonable price per pound?

lillypads reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty bottom has some really nice live rock. Not Fiji but if you want diversity for a good price. Marco rock is great dry rock

OP
OP
DancingShark

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have never even heard of this site. That is one of the purpose of this thread. To have info of different options part from the well known sites.

U

User1

View Badges
If you are looking for live then you need to visit TBS (Tampa Bay Saltwater). KP Aquatics also has a similar product. Search the forums here and you will see some pretty incredible rock.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from a local club member, also was selling it on CL. Ended up being some pretty good rock, cured, cooked, clean and has tons of life and so far no pests, knock on wood. I had the same issue finding rock, LFSs had no good life rock just cheap crap mined rock or expensive man made dry rock, any wet roxk was fake or looked like white round boulders. Found some online from places like the Gulf and Philippines also the Walt Smith Florida cultured rock but was very expensive plus shipping costs.
I think what needs to happen is more cultured rock, man made or mined then made life or cultured either in the ocean of a year as WS does or in a captive system designed to make dry rock live jast like it would in our reef tanks over a time. Something I have considered doing but lack the resources to make live rock. Would be a least a year before any product could ready for sale and a lot would be needed.

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit late to the discussion but I've always used Tampa Bay Saltwater, they have beautiful naturally cured live rock and can ship large amounts. The only thing I would recommend is doing a freshwater dip on each rock to get rid of hitchhiking pests, since these are naturally cured in the gulf, all manner of creatures take up residence in them during the months they spend out there. I still have a pistol shrimp more than a year later that I can't get rid of that came in on the rock.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For real live rock I agree with TBS. I've used the dry rock from reef cleaners and really like it. Very porous, very clean and never had any detectable phosphate with it.

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 20 pounds from KP Aquatics. It's ocean live rock from their rock farm in Florida. Great experience. Placed order Aug 7th and I requested that my rock arrive on Fri Aug 10th. They shipped it out from Florida the afternoon of Aug 9th, it arrived at my door by 9:30am in San Diego on Aug 10th. Very well packed. Lots of critters and diversity :) exactly what I wanted.

All the live rock from the LFS nearby lacked the diversity I was looking for. It was just "plain" live rock I suppose.

Last edited:

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there supposed to be an attached pic?

Yeah it wasn't showing up for some reason though. Hopefully it works now

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in my lfs looking for fiji rocks and with the ban on collections their stock was completely depleted. It has been for sometime now. Headed over to bulkreefsupply.com and say the same. Where are people going fo get their live/dead rock at a reasonable price per pound?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice name @DancingShark - Look no father, even no this is a old post! I have either Tonga Branches available + I have around 50lbs of that Ultra Premium Fiji.
Make sure or if anyone else is looking for some real Tonga and or Ultra Premium Fiji, PM ME, its going quickly! I think i started with around 100 lbs of each rock..
50lbs of Ultra Premium Fiji.
47233940_10218399982979602_8943441740837158912_o.jpg

30lbs only left of Tonga Branches
Tonga Branch left over.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back