West Texas Red Sea Nano Max Build (20g)

Schumanistan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not new to salt water but I am returning. After doing an enormous amount of research into Nano I have a few concerns. The price is a little absurd but I am willing to pay it for the aesthesis and the cabinet.

Concerns

- I have read a few places the the skimmer is loud, if I want to upgrade the skimmer what would be a good one. The Tunze 9001 seems to be the go to but I'm open to options.
- The return pump seems to be a commonly upgraded part of the tank. I Have not decided on what return pump I want to use yet Considering the Tunze Comline 2500 if anyone has used this return pump please let me know.
- It seems like they overflow and leak on the floor often. How can I prevent this from happening.
- I would like to add the Macro Algae Reactor 3181 but I cant get the dimensions of the sump to see if there will be a place to put the pump for the closed loop system.

I plan on just having a big Zoa garden with a few fish for the kids to look at so I don't think the bio load will be that crazy, however if I get a wild hair and want to add something else I would like the tank levels to be maintained.

majesticbigmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello bud and welcome. I do recommend the red sea nano, it is excellent. However, I do also recommend that you purchase it second hand, as the price difference is astonishing. The stock skimmer is not too loud, more of a slight buzz. I'd recommend the Jecod 1200, good speed and excellent silence. I have had 2 of these tanks and have never had them overflow, I am not sure where that information was received. The Macro Algae Reacter will unfortunately not fit, the nano only contains a small back sump, which is mainly to house the heater and carbon etc. If you were looking for a slightly advanced model with a full sump, I would recommend the Red Sea 170. It has a sump standardly housed in the cabinet, providing ample space for reactor etc.

The main thing to maintain with a tank is the parameters. To ensure these stay in good health, I recommend cycling the tank for at least 4-6 weeks, with dry rock+live sand or Live rock+live sand. These will provide the necessary nutrients for the tank to cycle, without having to add any ammonia to initiate a cycle. A zoa garden would be lovely, possibly accompanied by a pair of clowns or such. Good Luck with your reef, I hope to see it thriving in the near future.

OP
OP
Schumanistan

Schumanistan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello bud and welcome. I do recommend the red sea nano, it is excellent. However, I do also recommend that you purchase it second hand, as the price difference is astonishing. The stock skimmer is not too loud, more of a slight buzz. I'd recommend the Jecod 1200, good speed and excellent silence. I have had 2 of these tanks and have never had them overflow, I am not sure where that information was received. The Macro Algae Reacter will unfortunately not fit, the nano only contains a small back sump, which is mainly to house the heater and carbon etc. If you were looking for a slightly advanced model with a full sump, I would recommend the Red Sea 170. It has a sump standardly housed in the cabinet, providing ample space for reactor etc.

The main thing to maintain with a tank is the parameters. To ensure these stay in good health, I recommend cycling the tank for at least 4-6 weeks, with dry rock+live sand or Live rock+live sand. These will provide the necessary nutrients for the tank to cycle, without having to add any ammonia to initiate a cycle. A zoa garden would be lovely, possibly accompanied by a pair of clowns or such. Good Luck with your reef, I hope to see it thriving in the near future.
I appreciate your feedback! like stated in the post, I am coming to back to reefing. I had a RSR450 for about a year and a half.

I’ve seen some nano builds with a HOB refugium. I figured instead of doing a HOB I’d do a closed loop algae reactor and put it in the cabinet. I need to go with the RSM Nano due to space constraints. I’ve never seen one in person and they don’t post the rear mounted sump specs like chamber sizes so I’m trying to figure this out before buying. I’ll explore pre owned options.

nvcheeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not new to salt water but I am returning. After doing an enormous amount of research into Nano I have a few concerns. The price is a little absurd but I am willing to pay it for the aesthesis and the cabinet.

Concerns

- I have read a few places the the skimmer is loud, if I want to upgrade the skimmer what would be a good one. The Tunze 9001 seems to be the go to but I'm open to options.
- The return pump seems to be a commonly upgraded part of the tank. I Have not decided on what return pump I want to use yet Considering the Tunze Comline 2500 if anyone has used this return pump please let me know.
- It seems like they overflow and leak on the floor often. How can I prevent this from happening.
- I would like to add the Macro Algae Reactor 3181 but I cant get the dimensions of the sump to see if there will be a place to put the pump for the closed loop system.

I plan on just having a big Zoa garden with a few fish for the kids to look at so I don't think the bio load will be that crazy, however if I get a wild hair and want to add something else I would like the tank levels to be maintained.

I have Jaebo 1500L runs a chiller and a Tunze 9001 with a ARL Reactor put pump on its own in back next to skimmer i went closed loop at start but was pain as i needed to shut everything off to change it out reactor. Now i just turn off one pump remove tubes take whole unit out. I dont think you fit 2500 in back and also the 3181 in back you only have bout 70mm wide, the 9001 just fits in and its 68 i think. I probably remove ALR soon as AWC seems to be doing better job, there is enough room to fit a Auqamedic Media Reacotor as i had one in back too

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back