OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: As mentioned previously, I have a couple pieces of red montis that had some tissue recede. I added some more flow to the tank and started feeding more regularly and it grew back completely over the old skeleton! check out these progress photos... the first photo I didnt have an orange filter so it looks super dark.

Also to note, the first pic was taken november 9th and the last pic was taken yesterday! Thing is growing like a weed!

4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to note! The last time I tested water was in early October when the tank was cycling. I dont test for PH, nitrate, calcium, alk, anything. I have not had a single coral, invert or fish die in the tank. I have not had an algae issue in any way. I also have never dosed a single trace element into the tank. Its a super simple setup and I think this is a good approach for this size tank with this livestock IMO. Its amazing what big weekly water changes can do.

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big changes coming. Found a deal on a used IM 50 lagoon with the white APS stand. Got it yesterday and completely cleaned the tank, disassembled the pump and cleaned it. Currently working on a custom controller board.

Plan is to get the inside of the stand exactly how I want it, build a new aquascape for the other half of my tank (scape from 14 gal will be placed in new tank as well). I want to take my time with this process so that the transfer is super seamless.

As far as equipment, I am going to add a second AI prime, a pair of nero 3's, and I am thinking im going to do a skimmer. (suggestions on the skimmer would be awesome! Thinking tunze 9004). I will also be getting a petco 10 gal for ATO reservoir. Currently the return pump is the mighty jet 538 and it splits into two return nozzles and I think I am going to actually going to add my old mighty jet 326 so that each nozzle has its own pump, I can increase turnover and have some redundancy in case one fails.

Here are some pics of the tank before and after cleaning!!!

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg
tank3.jpg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big changes coming. Found a deal on a used IM 50 lagoon with the white APS stand. Got it yesterday and completely cleaned the tank, disassembled the pump and cleaned it. Currently working on a custom controller board.

Plan is to get the inside of the stand exactly how I want it, build a new aquascape for the other half of my tank (scape from 14 gal will be placed in new tank as well). I want to take my time with this process so that the transfer is super seamless.

As far as equipment, I am going to add a second AI prime, a pair of nero 3's, and I am thinking im going to do a skimmer. (suggestions on the skimmer would be awesome! Thinking tunze 9004). I will also be getting a petco 10 gal for ATO reservoir. Currently the return pump is the mighty jet 538 and it splits into two return nozzles and I think I am going to actually going to add my old mighty jet 326 so that each nozzle has its own pump, I can increase turnover and have some redundancy in case one fails.

Here are some pics of the tank before and after cleaning!!!

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg
tank3.jpg
Welcome to the Lagoon 50 club. The Cadlights PLS50II skimmer works great with this tank. They are available from Mode Aquauriums. It’s the biggest, strongest one that fits this tank in the actual skimmer chamber (chamber 2 or 4. The Tunze is great too but it needs to go in one of the overflows because of it’s size which some people don’t mind. I get a lot of detritus built up in the back chambers so for me it was more important to have mechanical filtration in the overflows and the skimmer in its own chamber. Are you going to start a new thread for the Lagoon 50?

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Lagoon 50 club. The Cadlights PLS50II skimmer works great with this tank. They are available from Mode Aquauriums. It’s the biggest, strongest one that fits this tank in the actual skimmer chamber (chamber 2 or 4. The Tunze is great too but it needs to go in one of the overflows because of it’s size which some people don’t mind. I get a lot of detritus built up in the back chambers so for me it was more important to have mechanical filtration in the overflows and the skimmer in its own chamber. Are you going to start a new thread for the Lagoon 50?
Thanks for the input on the skimmer ! I will eventually start a new thread, im thinking this 50 gal will be set up and running in a month or two, new thread will follow. Ill be coming to you as I get some more questions! What are you using for heaters in your tank?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input on the skimmer ! I will eventually start a new thread, im thinking this 50 gal will be set up and running in a month or two, new thread will follow. Ill be coming to you as I get some more questions! What are you using for heaters in your tank?
I’m using the BRS titanium 200w model controlled by my Apex. I also have the BRS heater controller but I have not hooked it up yet. The IM Helio is supposed to be great as well according to a couple of people I know who have it but it’s not cheap.

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the BRS titanium 200w model controlled by my Apex. I also have the BRS heater controller but I have not hooked it up yet. The IM Helio is supposed to be great as well according to a couple of people I know who have it but it’s not cheap.
sweet ! I think im going to go with BRS as well, will most likely get 2 100 w elements for extra redundancy. Thanks again!

xJaydeex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread - i have literally just had the 14 delivered, looking forward to getting it filled….ill also be following your lagoon 50 too as i found the 50 for sale locally last week but cant set it up due to us being half way through a house extension (hence buying the 14 yesterday to occupy me until then )

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread - i have literally just had the 14 delivered, looking forward to getting it filled….ill also be following your lagoon 50 too as i found the 50 for sale locally last week but cant set it up due to us being half way through a house extension (hence buying the 14 yesterday to occupy me until then )
Thankyou! I gave my old 14 to a buddy of mine, now just have the 50. These innovative marine tanks are super well made! Glad you can get some use/inspo from this old thread!

borraborra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread! I just ordered my 14 Gallon Nuvo. Question, so you never dosed? Just did weekly 5 gallon water change?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Following!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back