Weston's - Innovative Marine Nuvo 14 Peninsula Build

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also add, don't be afraid to feed your fish! :D

LPS in general, euphyllia in particular like a little dirtier water. I keep my LPS/softie tanks at 10-15ppm Nitrates and anywhere under 0.10ppm Phosphates. I feed my fish pretty heavy every day and broadcast feed Reef Chili 3x a week. Between my CuC and the coral uptake, I have issues keeping my nitrates and phosphates up. I actually have to dose Phosphates occasionally.

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also add, don't be afraid to feed your fish! :D

LPS in general, euphyllia in particular like a little dirtier water. I keep my LPS/softie tanks at 10-15ppm Nitrates and anywhere under 0.10ppm Phosphates. I feed my fish pretty heavy every day and broadcast feed Reef Chili 3x a week. Between my CuC and the coral uptake, I have issues keeping my nitrates and phosphates up. I actually have to dose Phosphates occasionally.
Good to know! I think the main thing I need is patience, I'm just so excited to get corals in the tank... But seriously, you have been a major help in setting up my tank, thank you for the advice!

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns found a nice little cove away from all the flow, a nice little spot for them to relax :D

IMG_1872.jpg

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am making some things on the 3d printer! I have an AI prime light shade, api test tube rack a couple of RFG's and some lock line fittings! If any of you guys are in So Cal and you need something printed, let me know and I will do it for free, I don't really want to ship anything but you can come grab it if you want!

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 6.12.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 6.19.47 PM.png

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waking up to a completed 3d print is always the best! The tolerances on these loc lines are super tight! This olive green will just have to do until I get some black filament :cool:

nozz.jpg

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another API test yesterday for ammonia and nitrate.... still not cycled completely, ammonia looks to be between .25 and .5 ppm, and nitrate seems to be between 0 and 5 ppm.

test.jpg

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another ammonia / nitrate test yesterday and saw no change... Ammonia is at .25ppm and nitrates at 0. I understand the API isnt the best test kit, and the tank is only two weeks old with dry rock.... But i just thought I would start to see the ammonia drop and nitrates increase by now especially after using dr tims, live sand, fish and regular feeding. Any thoughts on when I might see this change?

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a GSP tester coral, have had it in there for about 3 days now and it seems to be really comfortable... full extension of the polyps ( A bit hard to see under the blue lights)... also if anyone has any insight on the question above that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

coral2.jpg
coral.jpg

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY, tested last night and the ammonia seems to have dropped very close to zero! I say close to zero because of the inaccuracy in the API test kit as well as the nitrates still being close to zero as well...

Starting to get a few patches of diatoms.... adding to the clean up crew soon :)

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two nights ago I added some of this "coraline algae in a bottle" stuff and I am excited to see how it turns out... I have my tank set up for somewhat "optimal" coraline growth conditions... I was wondering if anyone else had some experience with this coraline additive
1633702348391.png

bennerkla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Weston - tank looks great! I'm going through a similar experience but maybe your tank cycled faster than mine. Two things 1) you should upgrade your testing kits, I think I used those a long time ago but the Red Sea test kits are more accurate, and maybe I missed it but you should be testing for nitrite as you won't get the full story without ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and 2) I would press the pause button and let the tank settle in a bit before adding anything else, you're moving pretty quickly. Patience in this hobby is a virtue, as you alluded to earlier! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Green_Lantern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really digging the simple stand and scape! Definitely off to a nice start. My tank took about 2 months to cycle with Dr. Tims. Each bottle is different so the best advice I can give you is be patient. Being that you were in the hobby before I know this isn't your first rodeo.

Looking forward to updates!

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really digging the simple stand and scape! Definitely off to a nice start. My tank took about 2 months to cycle with Dr. Tims. Each bottle is different so the best advice I can give you is be patient. Being that you were in the hobby before I know this isn't your first rodeo.

Looking forward to updates!
Thankyou! Got some updates coming out today, I appreciate your comment on the scape !

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Weston - tank looks great! I'm going through a similar experience but maybe your tank cycled faster than mine. Two things 1) you should upgrade your testing kits, I think I used those a long time ago but the Red Sea test kits are more accurate, and maybe I missed it but you should be testing for nitrite as you won't get the full story without ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and 2) I would press the pause button and let the tank settle in a bit before adding anything else, you're moving pretty quickly. Patience in this hobby is a virtue, as you alluded to earlier! Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Thanks for the input! I know, I really need to get out of the API tests... It just kills me to spend that money on a better test kit and then once im cycled, I will rarely use the ammonia or nitrite kits...

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I designed and printed a filter cup to delete the filter sock and replace with floss/sponge etc...

With the Innovative marine filter socks being attached to the plastic at the top, it makes it really hard to clean it regularly. I have attached the link to the thingiverse file so that some others can get some use from it!

www.thingiverse.com

NUVO 14 FILTER by WESTONBECHTOLD

Nuvo 14 peninsula filter cup to delete the filter sock and replace with floss/sponge etc... PRINT UPRIGHT WITH SUPPORTS ON 75% INFILL CUBIC USE RAFT TO MINIMIZE WARPING
www.thingiverse.com
www.thingiverse.com

NUVO 14 FILTER.png
NUVO 14 FILTER (1).png

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two nights ago I added some of this "coraline algae in a bottle" stuff and I am excited to see how it turns out... I have my tank set up for somewhat "optimal" coraline growth conditions... I was wondering if anyone else had some experience with this coraline additive
1633702348391.png
I added some a couple of weeks ago on my new tank. I haven't seen any coralline growth yet...

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I too have not seen any growth which is totally expected. I have followed the instructions and currently have my water set to 82 degrees, are you doing the same? Do you think thats a little warm for a reef aquarium? Id love to hear your thoughts

OP
OP
WestonNanos

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some a couple of weeks ago on my new tank. I haven't seen any coralline growth yet...
Thanks for the reply! I too have not seen any growth which is totally expected. I have followed the instructions and currently have my water set to 82 degrees, are you doing the same? Do you think thats a little warm for a reef aquarium? Id love to hear your thoughts!

Wrote this twice... forgot to "reply" to you

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I too have not seen any growth which is totally expected. I have followed the instructions and currently have my water set to 82 degrees, are you doing the same? Do you think thats a little warm for a reef aquarium? Id love to hear your thoughts
I did not raise my temperature. I have my reef currently set at 79 and didn't want to bump it up. I did read all of the instructions and I did a little bit of a salinity swing when I first put it in my system, so I am not sure if that hindered my coralline growth.

Honestly if I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't buy it. I got some coralline plates from IPSF and they are still in the tank. Hoping those will help the spread.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back